Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default SWR meter for Ham antenna

I've got an SWR/Field strength meter for my CB antenna, but I think that only goes to 30mhz. Anyone have one that'll be able to tune at 440?

I checked the price on those...the MFJ brand is like $400!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

I killed a cb SWR meter trying to measure my ham rig. I think there is a power rating minimum as well as an appropriate freq range.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey what are you doing Sunday? I'm planning on dorking it up with one of our more respected geeks, and dialing in swr is on the agenda, wanna come over? There may be some 100 series chatter though, just warning you..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default damn.

I'll be at the inlaws for the weekend, bummer...there's nothing I'd like more than to listen to 100 series banter. (oh...my Cruiser is soooo quiet...and rides like a dream, blah, blah, blah...and capable all hell, blah, blah, blah...)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have an antenna analyzer (MFJ-269) that does HF, VHF and UHF up to about 470MHz. After the new year I would be happy to help anyone tweak their antennas.

BTW, yes there are differences in SWR bridges in frequency range, power handling, etc. CB SWR meters usually work OK for ham HF (160m-10m) bands if you use very low power (10W or less). But if you run full power from a typical ham rig it's almost definitely going to kill it. If you run higher than about 30MHz into a CB SWR meter it's also not going to be happy. Remember 6m ham is about 50MHz, VHF around 145MHz and UHF around 450MHz. If you limit the power doing frequencies beyond the meter's range /might/ not ruin them but they aren't gonna work right.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default thanks for the offer!

Thanks Dave!

I think I'll take you up on that offer next year as I'm working out my antenna(s) setup for the 60. currently, I have the quad band diamond antenna that, combined with the location is only OK. I'm thinking of getting a duplexer or triplexer and doing a dual band on the roof (yikes!! might be cutting a hole!) and put a 6m antenna on my swingout for the rare occaisions I might want to play with that. even though my 8900r will do fm on 10m, I'm not quite there yet.