Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

What wattage do you run to it Matt?

I think Boulder is a particularly bad spot.... the guys at HRO confirmed it too.
82 FJ40
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
What wattage do you run to it Matt?
A full 5 watts. (I just hook it up to my VX-7R.)
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I ordered an Aarow last night.. got the kit that will break down and shove into the bag. Will find a cool way to mount this to the truck or camper...

my ultimate goal being Colorado Connection from Moab, I wasn't able to hit it with the homebrew Yagi last year from BFE, so we'll give this a shot.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
my ultimate goal being Colorado Connection from Moab, I wasn't able to hit it with the homebrew Yagi last year from BFE, so we'll give this a shot.
Might be easier to access the Sinbad Desert AMC repeater system and bring up an IRLP link to where ever you want.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

yeah, I went with a J-Pole because on the house there is no ground plane, wanted something cheap (it was a $20 project including the connector), wanted to make it myself, and I like the way they look.

I ended up with two, one not so perfect as the other, and one that looks nice and works pretty well. I can get into the CCon repeater here in boulder but once I open it up it is only scratchyness that get's through. The folks at HRO told me about another antenna near Jeffco airport that takes a different tone to get into. I am going to try that next. I think I am in some sort of funky "shadow" here in boulder.
82 FJ40
Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
yeah, I went with a J-Pole because on the house there is no ground plane, wanted something cheap (it was a $20 project including the connector), wanted to make it myself, and I like the way they look.

I ended up with two, one not so perfect as the other, and one that looks nice and works pretty well. I can get into the CCon repeater here in boulder but once I open it up it is only scratchyness that get's through. The folks at HRO told me about another antenna near Jeffco airport that takes a different tone to get into. I am going to try that next. I think I am in some sort of funky "shadow" here in boulder.
Hey that's a good point.. I think it's still 145.310 but you're at 107hz instead of 123hz? I can't remember, but if you listen on one of the 7:30 nets they'll probably say.

edit: ok Dave is faster, and probably righter.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The Broomfield machine is 145.310-, 100Hz tone. It's a RX-only for the system, so if your shadow causes your reception to be scratchy then it won't help (it does not retransmit 145.310, just listens to 144.710). It's job is to help primarily Boulder hams when they TX to get into the machine.
Yeah, my reception is very very good. I just can't transmit

And yeah, now that you say it, the HRO guys said it was a 100Hz tone.
82 FJ40
Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Lifted

Last weekend I was doing some work on my laptop and happened to fire up Orbitron on a whim and saw AO51 in range. I tuned into the downlink frequency 435.300. I was able to clearly hear satellite traffic on the J-pole (2- meter tuned). Unfortunately I don't have much experience with the VX5 (my sons and he was out of town) so I couldn't figure out how to switch over the the up link frequency quickly enough before it was gone (RX on one freq TX on another). Point is I'm happy with the j pole on 70 cm. As for portability the j-pole, one made from twin lead would easily coil up and fit in a glove box, cost would be about one dollar/antenna. (300 ohm twin lead is cheap). Buy a coil of it and have an antenna making party at a meeting.

As for the hope the Arrow j-pole will do better than the home brew yagi, I'm no expert but I don't see how that cold be possible, unless there was a problem with the yagi. Just thinking theory of directional vs. omni-directional.

This forum is great

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well my issues with the yagi were likely beyond antenna principles.. for one it's made from PVC and allows some of the beams inside to slide, which probably puts the SWR all over the place. And worse I was using more PVC as a tower, which was great in the calm back yard but when brought out to windy BFE it flopped like crazy, made for an almost dangerous situation... I ended up pulling it down and didn't mess with it much.

So I'm pushing for a more robust setup for next year. BTW, I received my Arrow J-Pole on Wednesday... very well built and in my hands 2 days after I ordered it. In hindsight I probably didn't need the bag, it's about 3x larger than it needs to be, but ah well it will still pack into the truck or camper just fine.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Which bag did you get Tim? If it's the one with a bunch of individual pockets or slots, let me know if you want to sell it. I have the Arrow satellite yagi and having a dedicated bag instead dumping it all into one big bag would be handy.

What I'm think is this one:
I got the other one, which is nothing more than a camping chair stuff sack.. for some reason I thought the one you show would be too small for their collapsible J-pole.. which I think it is. Too bad as that other bag is more of a tool kit and would be a much better thing to have.

www.gamiviti.com