Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default How Much Do You Hate Comcast? (Relative to Qwest)

So I can't get anything more than DSL speeds from Qwest in Monument - not enough speed as I am cutting way back on TV programming and trying to stream more when we actually want to watch something on TV.

Comcast seems to be the only option, but I am still wary after spending several years with Adelphia, and I'd want to ditch Qwest entirely to save $$$, so I'd be going with phone service, too.

Reliability is my concern, as in "service available". I work from a home office, so I can't afford downtime, but I'm sick of spending a mint with Qwest for DSL + POTS (plain old telephone service).

Any and all inputs appreciated.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm pretty biased...but I'll try to stick to the facts

I hate Comcast because all our bill ever did was go up, up, up. The "special offers" are great to get you in the door but after that...

Before you ditch Qwest, do some checking to see when/if they might be doing the FTC (fiber to the curb) buildout in your area. They are spending a TON of money putting fiber in the ground. Also, check to see if they'll offer you a VoIP line for your home phone.

As for reliability...Not sure what your experience with Qwest DSL is but in nearly 8 years I can count the times my DSL has been down on one hand and only once where I had to actually call for service vs. just rebooting the modem to restore service. Comcast on the other hand for me was down a LOT when we had it. And it always pissed me off when I would call and they wouldn't send anyone out until more people in my area called (I think the magic number was 3 in the same area). Not sure if they still do that. My co-worker at work has Comcast for cable TV and use to have it for internet. He loves the TV, hated the internet reliability. Said it was done all the time during the day when he tried to work from home. He dumped it and went with Qwest DSL when it became available in his area.

My other complaint with Comcast is the "shared" service which regardless of what their cute commercials state can cause the network to slow down...Look to see if they offer guarantees that you'll get the speed all the time that you are paying for.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks, Jeff. That was the kind of feedback I am looking for. I had Adelphia prior to going Qwest, and reliability with Qwest has been excellent whereas it was terrible with Adelphia (now Comcast).

I doubt I'll be getting FTC any time soon here, but I'll call to find out. Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Qwest knows that POTS is dying and has been for years...Building out for faster internet speeds is a necessity as more and more people start using the internet for everything (video, voice, data) and dump traditional cable, satellite tv, phone service, etc.

Unfortunately, it is still a business and that dictates building out the higher population centers first...It will be interesting to see what concessions and agreements Qwest and Century Tel will have to make with the individual states to get the PUCs to agree to the merger...Often the PUCs bless the mergers only after the companies agree to spend a lot of money improving service including offering higher internet speeds to rural areas.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

From the comments above I suggest you talk to local people Dave. My experience in Denver with Qwest was horrible, very unreliable, blah, blah, blah. I'm not a Comcast promoter but it's far better than Qwest so it may vary considerably from one part of the metro area to another.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm with Jeff. I went to comcast after being so sick of Qwest that I wanted to vomit. Comcast is about the same. Their modem sucks, and I need to see if they have an upgrade. It has to be reset about twice a week, and Comcast's customer service makes me want to tear my hair out.

I haven't had the same issues with bill's going up up up, but I went with a TV package for some specific channels. After the promotion period, they told me I could pay over 2x what I was paying to get those channels back, when I called to find out why two of my channels were no longer listed as viewable.

I am likely going to dump comcast for Direct TV. I'm sure they are just as bad, but I did like that, when going through stuff online, they give you a print out of every bill you will pay over the 2 year contract, and show what the bill will go up to once the promotion ends. I will have to check the fine print, but that is far better than what comcast has done for me, when I have to call and spend 20 minutes on the phone trying to get someone to help me with my bill.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Where can I get a roll out map on Qwest fiber to curb? We have 2.4Ghz wireless to the house and I would love fiber. Additionally there are a lot of qwest service trucks doing something in my neighborhood...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

We have a naked Qwest DSL. Have never had cable in this house, so I don't have a comparison. Been with Qwest since 2004 in this house. Originally when we bought it we had a Qwest dial tone and a Earthlink (Covad provisioned) DSL. That was terribly unreliable and Qwest offered a switch deal to consolidate phone, Internet and cell into one bill. We later dropped the cell and dial tone, since about 2005 or so we've been on a DSL-only account with Qwest. We have cell phones separate from Qwest.

We did have a AT&T @Home cable modem in the old house in Arvada before it was qualified for DSL (if ever, DSL was never available by the time we moved in 2003). It was OK, I dunno that I remember much about it. We only had the Internet, no cable TV (we've actually NEVER had cable TV).

I couldn't be happier with my Qwest DSL. Originally it was a plain old 1.5Mbps through an Actiontec modem/router, consistent speed but a little unreliable during rain. Turned out that a squirrel chewed our phone line on the pole and once replaced that decreased drop outs by a whole ton.

About 3 years ago they came around with new fiber (FTTN I think, since 7Mbps was the max) and offered upgrades, which we did to 7Mbps and I bought a 2Wire modem/router/wifi. That was stone cold solid all the time. We seem to now have FTTP because about a year and half ago they offered us up to 40Mbps service. About 4 months ago we upgraded to 20Mbps (the highest my 2Wire would go, which I own). Right now I get about 17Mbps data rates with a connection at just over 20Mbps. It has been very reliable so far <knock wood>. I'm paying about $60 per month for the DSL and qwest.net ISP (the ISP part is $7/month I think).

I have no problems getting Netflix HD streams at full resolution, generally get about 1.8~2MB/s sustained downloads. Ping times to Level3 (Netflix's provider) are always around 50ms. I use Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8) and OpenDNS as a second.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I pretty much loath any cable company with a passion, they are money sucking hoes that never seem to age. Their service is nothing but suck and the prices always go up. my comcast cable has been pretty reliable and I like on demand but that's as far as it goes. Prices go up every year or two

When i was in dc there wasn't a day the cable company could keep the internet up. They sucked worse than comcast.

Quest - I've had a dedicated dsl line since 04 and it's gone down 2x. one time i've had to replace the modem that went belly up right after the warranty. I've had to reset the modem less than 5x. usually service has been pretty good when needed.
Why the friggen phone line cost so much is a bend over from them. I really want to ditch quest all together because I feel the $100 a month is way over priced for the services I get but like jeff noted it hasn't gone up in quite some time and has been really reliable.

I still think I should get comcast internet and go voip for phone and I should be able to save more than half my quest bill.

I've also thought about going dish for tv and cable and voip and get rid of both quest and comcast. I dunno
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 01-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've had both.

Qwest is more dependable in my experience...

Like Jeff Said, Comcast is so attractive up front, but when the 'limited time offers' start expiring it was crazy enough for me to switch back to Qwerst which I swore I would never ever do.

Of the 300 outages we have a year with dsl (all of them while I'm not home), 299 of them are caused by one of the kids throwing a ball and unplugging something.

Comcast was down about once a week for a real outage longer than a few minutes, it was pretty bad. Although I'm sure this is really area dependent.

Qwest has me all "bundled" up though, they make it really really hard to get away from what you don't actually want.

My biggest issue is, and I don't care what they say, they severely limit download speed when they want to, it drives me insane.

I would LOVE a pipe from Qwest that actually sustained performance at the advertised speed. The 'speed tests' always pass, but real-life, I'm gonna download some real data, it slows to about a 10th of advertised.

but it stays up.
and I have to have that for work.