Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Mack? I ain't no Mack, I'm a Peterbilt for dang sake!
TLCA#4180
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Wincher

Hey y'all - Count me in as a Moab newbie. I'll be going up Tuesday, taking a leisurely drive in the new-to-me 80. I'm still a novice (only been off-roading twice, and never in my 80 or in this type of terrain). I'll will be sticking with the easier trails for now - although I may see if any of the veterans want a passenger for one of the harder trails.

Things to do between now and then -
Finish up base-lining
new tires
air compressor
CB
learn as much as possible

I'm open to any advice or suggestions anyone wants to throw at me.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Mack? I ain't no Mack, I'm a Peterbilt for dang sake!
Naw.....more like Tow-Mater
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmallory View Post
Hey y'all - Count me in as a Moab newbie. I'll be going up Tuesday, taking a leisurely drive in the new-to-me 80. I'm still a novice (only been off-roading twice, and never in my 80 or in this type of terrain). I'll will be sticking with the easier trails for now - although I may see if any of the veterans want a passenger for one of the harder trails.

Finish up base-lining
new tires
air compressor
CB

Welcome! You'll have a blast. Just a warning though, after spending a week at Moab with your truck, your wallet will start thinning rapidly as you find more and more things to spend money on to make your truck more dirt friendly.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:

Finish up base-lining
new tires
air compressor
CB

Welcome! You're going to love Moab.

Have you removed the stock running boards?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Welcome! You're going to love Moab.

Have you removed the stock running boards?
I plan to pull them off before I go. I have spent a lot of cash on this truck already this year, with tax, baselining, fixing odds and ends, and the upcoming new tires (285's) . Wife is telling me to cut back on spending (something about saving for the kids' education, or something silly like that) so I'll be on a tight budget preparing my stock 80 for Moab. Keep in mind, I didn't buy this 80 to beat up or heavily modify. I tend to see it more as a classic car, used for weekend fun and hobby wrenching while keeping it nice.

So with all that said, now I'm struggling over whether to find some cheap bolt on sliders, take a chance on boogering up my rockers, or just go and try to ride along with others while the cruiser sits safely at camp. Maybe I'm a [vagina], but I'm already thinking of switching out of Elephant Hill because I heard it can cause brush pinstriping.

Advice?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
So with all that said, now I'm struggling over whether to find some cheap bolt on sliders, take a chance on boogering up my rockers, or just go and try to ride along with others while the cruiser sits safely at camp. Maybe I'm a [vagina], but I'm already thinking of switching out of Elephant Hill because I heard it can cause brush pinstriping.

Advice?
If you buy sliders, you will never regret it. It's the key piece of armor for your truck.

Elephant Hill won't cause much, if any, pin striping. It is the perfect trail for a first voyage to Moab in a new-to-you 80. I think you should definitely run this. Fins & Things is another trail you might want to tackle.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

Advice?
Get sliders and don't go "cheap" - I don't know of any cheap sliders for an 80 but slapping on some "nerf bars" or the like can cause just as much damage as having nothing. You might be just fine without them but if you miscalculate on the trail, the cost to repair the rocker panel(s) will make the cost of a good set of sliders look cheap.

Matt covered you on E-Hill - just know that it is a LONG day as the drive to/from the trailhead is quite far from Moab...IIRC you meet at 7am vs. the more normal 9am time for tha majority of the other trails.

I'm trying to think of other stockish 80 friendly trails...Fins & Things as Matt mentioned although that one can be a rear bumper eater (if you have the stock rear bumper and a hitch, leave the hitch on to protect the rear bumper). As I recall Hells Revenge is actually not bad (been a couple years) as the harder obstacles are optional and even they aren't really rocker killers. I'd avoid Porcupine Rim and Poison Spider Mesa and probably Wipeout Hill.

Best bet, just get the 285s and sliders on and go from there.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Get sliders and don't go "cheap" - I don't know of any cheap sliders for an 80 but slapping on some "nerf bars" or the like can cause just as much damage as having nothing. You might be just fine without them but if you miscalculate on the trail, the cost to repair the rocker panel(s) will make the cost of a good set of sliders look cheap.

Matt covered you on E-Hill - just know that it is a LONG day as the drive to/from the trailhead is quite far from Moab...IIRC you meet at 7am vs. the more normal 9am time for tha majority of the other trails.

I'm trying to think of other stockish 80 friendly trails...Fins & Things as Matt mentioned although that one can be a rear bumper eater (if you have the stock rear bumper and a hitch, leave the hitch on to protect the rear bumper). As I recall Hells Revenge is actually not bad (been a couple years) as the harder obstacles are optional and even they aren't really rocker killers. I'd avoid Porcupine Rim and Poison Spider Mesa and probably Wipeout Hill.

Best bet, just get the 285s and sliders on and go from there.
The First part of wipeout is all a sand run, and would not be an issue... Maybe Nakman can say something about after the Hill itself. There are several climbs, but i don't remember is they were Rocker eaters or not...

Don't Forget Chicken Corners... Great for beginners (any comments Matt)...

The second half of Fins and things is also not bad, but as you point out there are a couple bumper eaters on the first section....
KD0EXO
Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Get sliders and don't go "cheap" - I don't know of any cheap sliders for an 80 but slapping on some "nerf bars" or the like can cause just as much damage as having nothing.
Yeah, I got ya. I guess I meant *relatively* cheap. I had (gag) nerf bars on my Tacoma back on the day and thankfully age and wisdom would never let me go down that path again.

Maybe Slee has some blems or seconds out back behind his shop....