Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Wincher

There are no sissy bypasses around the bumper scrapers?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Wincher

Just had a long talk with the wife. Mentioned how excited I was about Cruise Moab but how worried I am about my rockers. Sliders would be great, but I had told her I was done spending money on the cruiser for a while......

Her response was "whatever", which means "buy whatever sliders you want". WOOHOOO!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Trails I have ran at Cruise Moab with a stock locked 80 (with sliders, and OEM receiver hitch)

Hells Revenge
Fins & Things
Porcupine Rim
Metal Masher
Kane Creek
Wipe out Hill
Poison Spider

Kane Creek will pin stripe your truck. I make no promises to your plastic bumper corners. But I have no major damage otherwise.

YOU WANT SLIDERS. They are far cheaper than a rocker panel repair. Which eventually you will need without them. Probably sooner than later.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
The First part of wipeout is all a sand run, and would not be an issue... Maybe Nakman can say something about after the Hill itself. There are several climbs, but i don't remember is they were Rocker eaters or not...
That was my thought that the hill might be the issue...For a stock 80 dropping down onto the hill sections I think the rockers would come close to hitting...Can't remember though really

First trail we ever did was Porcupine rim with 285s, OME lift (2.5") and I hit my sliders several times. Next trail was Fin and don't remember hitting the sliders but definitely drug the butt end a lot and had a 60 roll backward into my brand new ARB at the lunch stop ...Last up was Poison Spider Mesa and I'm pretty sure we hit the front ARB, rear Slee, and the sliders that day
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmallory View Post
Her response was "whatever", which means "buy whatever sliders you want". WOOHOOO!
She's a keeper! Slieders are a worthy investment, but not 100% necessary. Removal of running boards is. I was one of the first CM 80's back in 2003. I did buy some used Slee early prototype sliders and I'm still running them. I only this year had to finally replace my stock rear bumper ends - a combination of the Golden Crack and Old Chinaman's Gulch. I'm running an OME heavy lift and 285's. I have run every trail in Moab except Pritchett and Moab Rim.

On the long wheelbase line on Wipe Out Hill you won't drag rockers. You can do Moab very rocker friendly if you have some lift and 285's. You will drag the stock tow hitch and front and rear bumpers.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmallory View Post
Yeah, I got ya. I guess I meant *relatively* cheap. I had (gag) nerf bars on my Tacoma back on the day and thankfully age and wisdom would never let me go down that path again.

Maybe Slee has some blems or seconds out back behind his shop....
Talk with Scotty at ADDICTED OFFROAD and check out his website. I have some sliders for my 60 on order and they look very good. They were not listed for a 60 on his site, but they are available. The price is attractive too. Maybe there would be a little something left over to buy that gal some pearl earrings in appreciation of her support! Then she can pawn them when those college bills come around...
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
You can do Moab very rocker friendly if you have some lift and 285's. You will drag the stock tow hitch and front and rear bumpers.
No lift. I was considering adding the sliders, and removing the front bumper and rear bumper corners.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would not bother with the front bumper covers. I don't think I ever hit those. Back bumper covers will take some abuse if you don't mind the paint scratches. Otherwise pull them off.

Another thing you'll want to consider is your cats. Don't want to wack them too hard on a rock either. The cat guard under my Metal Techs often was the first point of contact on anything before my lift. Not too hard to avoid but keep it in your mind.
2004 Starcraft 10RT