Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah Corey, but remember Subzali's is one of those engineers.. I suspect he's working up an illustration and formula diagram on this now.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Rising Sun member

well, I had the engineering school, but lack of practical application in the last few years has left me quite rusty, as you can tell from above...

I have been learning a lot about brakes lately though because my Tundra has the famous pedal pulsation problem, which supposedly is corrected by the upgraded later 1st gen calipers/pads (as recommended by the TSB). Though there is debate about what actually helps cure the problem. Now that we're talking about this I wonder if the piston size increased from early 1st gen to later 1st gen Tundras, but supposedly the pad size increased as well (though not much from what I hear). There is also speculation that the larger size (as well as the supposedly larger mass) of the later calipers helps absorb more heat away from the rotor. I dunno, I'm hoping to investigate more once I get both sets in my hands when I do my replacement.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah Matt the piston size increased in the newer calipers, and the overall size of the caliper increased as well. That's what makes your current calipers so desirable in the Taco/4Runner crowd, because they're a nice upgrade to their relatively puny mini-truck calipers, but yet still small enough to fit inside those 7" rims. In fact, if you decide to upgrade, PM Hudo4 here, I bet he'd like to put them on his 4Runner. When I had a Taco and did that upgrade, it was like switching from V-brakes to disks on a mountain bike, I almost went over the handle bars the first time.

www.gamiviti.com