Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Rising Sun member

Randy, I'm not following you. The gas filter has two vacuum ports and sees manifold vacuum. One of the ports is capped off and the other provides vacuum to the VSV/charcoal canister/TP diaphragm.

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I think were talking about the same device which I circled in red. You may well be correct that the base of that device sees manifold vacuum. If so, then having the one port capped off is no issue.

However, I thought the device was a thermostatic switch that is mounted in the engine to sense it's temperature, and the base of the switch is not open to the manifold vacuum. Thus manifold vacuum comes into the switch via the port that is capped off, and when the temperature is right the switch opens allowing that vacuum to go to the vsv, etc.

Easy enough to check, just pull those hoses off of the valve when the engine is running and see if there is vacuum present on either of the 2 ports when there are no hoses connected.
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Rising Sun member

Yep, that's the gas filter (see the schematic; it's labeled there). The base of it is threaded into the intake manifold and sees manifold vacuum. My '77 setup doesn't have a temperature sensor anywhere; maybe the California models did. I think '78 and newer did as well; my carb has a temperature sending unit on it, I think for the carb cooling fan.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Yep, that's the gas filter (see the schematic; it's labeled there). The base of it is threaded into the intake manifold and sees manifold vacuum. My '77 setup doesn't have a temperature sensor anywhere; maybe the California models did. I think '78 and newer did as well; my carb has a temperature sending unit on it, I think for the carb cooling fan.
OK, should be fine then
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun member

Not much to add, but after doing some more MUDsearch on various topics I found this post from Jim C.:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...tml#post974801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C.
The bad systems, that hurt efficiency and/or reliability are:
EGR - GONE
AIR - GONE
HAC - DON'T HAVE IT ON MY '77
TP - STILL HAVE IT, I THINK IT'S GOOD TO NOT BACKFIRE OR HAVE THE ULTRA-RICH EFFECT FROM CLOSING THE THROTTLE PLATES UNDER HIGH VACUUM. I GUESS IT BURNS MORE FUEL BUT IT WILL MAKE THE EXHAUST SMELL BETTER
vac retard - GONE W/ '79-'80 DISSY

The good systems:
PCV - STILL HAVE IT
vac advance - MY '79-'80 DISSY IS VAC ADVANCE
Evap - STILL HAVE IT
Decel fuel cut - NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE
HIC - DO NOT HAVE IT SINCE I DON'T HAVE THE FITTING ON THE CARB BASE PLATE, BUT DON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH HOT IDLE STUMBLING
Dissy vent - HAVE IT HOOKED UP CORRECTLY

That my $.015 (darn inflation).
Another one from Charlie:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...ml#post1640877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin_Head
...my opinion is that other than the EGR, ignition retard and air injection, the other stuff performs useful functions in maximizing performance and fuel economy under more different driving conditions. It is also electronic engine control. Simply disabling the EGR, retard and AI is sufficient and is a lot less work. It isn't worth the effort to remove it.
And then to address Steve's comment earlier, I also saw this:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...ml#post1061246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C.
HAI is hot air intake. That's the preheat hose on the aircleaner snorkel on 73-newer Cruisers. W/ a stock exhaust manifold bolted to the bottom of the intake manifold, it is redundant. A useful accesory w/ headers, especially in cool climates.
I am actually planning on recreating my HAI shield and hose (missing when I got the truck) at some point, rather than pay SOR a bunch of money for a rusted out one. But since I have the stock exhaust manifold hooked up I'm probably fine for a little while, never have had a problem yet. I wonder how it's supposed to work with headers since the shield will have nothing to bolt to? I guess it just draws ambient air from near the header and that's close enough to help. Fluid heat riser helps too.

Last edited by subzali; 02-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default just got some used ones...

"I am actually planning on recreating my HAI shield and hose (missing when I got the truck) at some point, rather than pay SOR a bunch of money for a rusted out one."

I just received used ones from a Mud guy doing a V8 conversion. If you want to measure, etc...they are still in the box, not installed yet. I'm happy to let use them as a pattern for measurements for when "some point" comes around.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default pics of those HAI thingies

here's what I got...used, but inexpensive and obtainable.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
here's what I got...used, but inexpensive and obtainable.
whoa where'd you get that? I need one.

Maybe I can just copy yours? Is it on the truck or off of it?

edit:

just read your previous post, I want to copy it too!
82 FJ40
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Rising Sun member

Hey Marco, I was thinking of recreating those, maybe in SS, but you would have the skills long before I do to do something like that. So I'd be interested to see what you come up with if you have a chance to measure those up and make something up.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

I would be in to help with this as well ( I need one too)

for my 75

trail rig
Trinidad, CO