Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Lifted

Default Service manual for 97' Corolla

Friend of my wife is having a problem. And I just want to check a manual to make sure I am not missing something. First it was it will not come out of park. So I went to look at it and it has no brake lights. Likely just the brake light switch under the dash. But I want to make sure I am not missing something in the circuit like a fuse or relay.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'd check the fuses first - If the '97 Corolla is anything like the 80 series, a blown tail light fuse will lock the tranny in park

If you find a bad fuse or fuses, replace and if that blows then look for wiring problems. In the 80 that is commonly caused by trailer light harnesses but I'm doubting that would be the case with a '97 Corolla
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like to me that it is the brake light switch. The car wont release the shift lock until it knows your foot is on the brake. And the brake lights o my get there signal from the switch. The fuse and relay only control the lights. Not The shift lock. Go ahead and check the brake light fuse and relay but there problly ok. If u can dig down to the shiftock release. Go ahead and ohm it. It's problly ok. And ohm the brake light switch on the brake pedel. It's problly bad. You should also be able to stick the ignition key Into the "shift lock release" next to the shifter to get the bad boy Into neutral, then start the car.

If I can find the time I'll try and get the wiring diagram from work and Post it up for u
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Lifted

I assumed it was the switch. And yes I used the manual unlock to get it out of park. Just wanted to check a manual to make sure there was nothing else in the circuit I might be missing. I will try to pick up the switch and just plug it in prior to installing it to make sure. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
Sounds like to me that it is the brake light switch. The car wont release the shift lock until it knows your foot is on the brake. And the brake lights o my get there signal from the switch. The fuse and relay only control the lights. Not The shift lock. Go ahead and check the brake light fuse and relay but there problly ok. If u can dig down to the shiftock release. Go ahead and ohm it. It's problly ok. And ohm the brake light switch on the brake pedel. It's problly bad. You should also be able to stick the ignition key Into the "shift lock release" next to the shifter to get the bad boy Into neutral, then start the car.

If I can find the time I'll try and get the wiring diagram from work and Post it up for u
Old 02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Not sure if this will have the electrical detail you need, but might be of assistance.

http://www.utoyot8.com/CatalogCompon...elName=COROLLA