Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Our local Toyota dealer has a white 2011 on the lot. I drove it last week for fun. If it was green I would have written a check for it. I wish. No 75K in my account. I'll get one in another 4-5 years for the used.

I'd say its a demand thing. Not as many people spending that much money on vehicles as 4 years ago.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

GO had a couple on the lot last weekend.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I'd say its a demand thing. Not as many people spending that much money on vehicles as 4 years ago.
2011 Land Cruiser: starts at $68,020.
2011 Lexus LX11: starts at $78,555.

Are those prices significantly higher than 4 years ago?

Has Toyota priced it's top-of-the-line vehicle beyond the reach of its previous market of affluent customers?

Has the market for pricey SUVs really dried up?

Or is the 200 serious kind of a dud? It's certainly a ho hum design.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was at Groove Toyota yesterday (on Broadway) and they had a black 200 Series. Beautiful truck. Only one on the lot as far as I could tell.
'00 UZJ100
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Has Toyota priced it's top-of-the-line vehicle beyond the reach of its previous market of affluent customers?
Not nearly as many good frauds to indulge in in this economy. Back in the day, just in the front range, there were thousands who could cash in their options on their bogus companies and go buy 10,000 sq ft homes and assorted opulence.

With the DotCom, Telecom, and Housing Bubbles all burst, all that's left is real honest to goodness profit.

I wish that was a joke.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Has the market for pricey SUVs really dried up?

Or is the 200 serious kind of a dud? It's certainly a ho hum design.
Yes.

If I had to replace the Chili tomorrow, I really have no idea what I would get. But sad to say, it would probably not be a Toyota.

On the other hand... after seeing Mike Caskey's work swapping the powerplant in the Chili... though it is a lot of work, it is far from impossible or even undesirable. Roll yer own.

Toyota V-8 in a Yeep JK, Diamond axles around Curry Ford 9"/Dana 60 ideas. Oh yeah, and an upside-down FJ40 bezel so I can go to CM. Assuming I could afford the fuel for such a beast.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Wincher

The price point for the 200 series either in the LC or LX format are not really too high when factoring in inlflation and the weak state of the dollar. I know that when I had my 2000 LC 100 series I had the original sticker and well optioned the final price was $57600. With how much everything else has gone up the LC and LX are right in line. My guess would be that ladder frame solid rear axle v8 premium suvs just aren't selling like they were 4 or 5 years ago.

1996 FZJ80 stock-No magic button-DD

tlca#19812
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccumber View Post
Not nearly as many good frauds to indulge in in this economy. Back in the day, just in the front range, there were thousands who could cash in their options on their bogus companies and go buy 10,000 sq ft homes and assorted opulence.

With the DotCom, Telecom, and Housing Bubbles all burst, all that's left is real honest to goodness profit.

I wish that was a joke.
Exactly. The way the commoners got such trucks a few years ago was by cashing out the equity in their homes. Can't do that anymore.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." --Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion)
Yeah, I woulda figgered you for a browncoat, you're just not the Alliance type.

My fav:
Quote:
Book: I've been out of the abbey two days, I've beaten a lawman senseless, I've fallen in with criminals. I watched the captain shoot the man I swore to protect. And I'm not even sure if I think he was wrong. I believe... I just... I think I'm on the wrong ship.
Inara: Maybe. Or maybe you're exactly where you ought to be.
Er.... to pull this hijack right back to the OP topic... maybe wandering off the reservation is exactly where we ought to be. Might force a Toyota Reformation.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

What, Toyota does not own the market now? They market what they can make a profit off of. Pure and simple. They also market hype like the rest of the auto manufactures. It is only a small % of people here in the states that actually look into the world car markets and see what is around. If more people did that and complained, we may get different vehicles here(with the caveat of passing our emission and safety standards which cost a bit of coin). Also putting pressure on our elected officials to change or modify the laws to allow imports of low volume vehicles would help the cause of allowing trucks or cars that some of us want. Until then we are stuck with what is allowed and what the manufactures give us to choose from.