Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Trail Ready

The QSO's you make, rhyary, are interesting. Let's hear about more of them.

Sounds like a good time to read up on propagation and how our sunrise and sunset times (as well as sunrise and sunset for the DX op) affect propagation and the frequency we choose to work the DX we want.

If you really want to get serious about all this, get some MUF (maximum usable frequency) software. With that, you plug in the frequency and the DX station's QTH and your computer will tell you the time in GMT you need to be on the air to probably make a contact with that DX station. It's fun for a while until you find yourself up at 3:00AM to work that rare South Pacific island.

Given our poor sunspot numbers, I would expect that transequatorial propagation will have us reliably working mostly Caribbean and Central American stations.

Old timers will tell you if you can hear them, you can work them. What other QSO's have you made?

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Bruce,
I was successful two way QSO with Canada, Florida, Minnesota, Bermuda, Alabama and Massachusetts in the few days I have it up. Today I heard someone from the Philippines talking to a very strong station.

Dave and Nathanial,
Besides the fun stuff, I want HF to save me when I get stuck with the 80 in nowhere. So I am am less concern with talking with Japan but reaching someone in the US and calling 911 is very appealing to me. In the process I plan to learn more about RF. I don't see myself getting interested in contesting. But you never know.

I just ordered the 40M and 10M sticks. Sounds like the 10M stick would be a wast of money. :-(
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK