Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Welding onto a Front Spindle/Hub Body?

So I have a question for the welders. How feasible would it be to get a strong weld onto a Toyota front axle hub body?

I've been kicking around trying to build a rear tire swingout (not a full bumper). I'd like to get the tire out from underneath but don't forsee having enough money to buy a rear bumper with swingout.

So I am trying to figure out how feasible it may be to use some old parts off a 40/60/etc as the spindle portion. Build up a mount to bolt the spindle onto, and then weld the actual tire carrier to the hub body.

There are 2 reasons I was thinking of doing this. 1.) roached spindles and hub bodies that are no good for driving would work fine for a bumper and could probably be found really cheap if not free. 2.) Using a spindle with a freehub body would allow for only needing a latch without a secondary mechanism to close the "gate". The freehub could be turned to free to open, and then turned to "4x4" to either hold the gate open on a slope or hold it closed.

So, just not sure what type of metal the hub bodies are. From what little I know the higher the carbon content of the metal, the trickier the welding is. I have a promig 140 but don't know much about pre/post heating, etc. So maybe the question should be "can the hub body be welded with a wire feed alone?" or "Does anyone know what kind of steel the hubs/spindle are made from?" The last thing I want to do is have a weld fail on a swingout

So, any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would not trust the welded assembly to hold over 100 lbs. of tire over rough terrain. However, I did build a wheel mount out of 1.4" steel plate, one flat surface with 12mmx1.50 bolts for lugs, and two angled sides welded to the carrier tube. I then welded the lockout portion of the hub to that steel plate as

1) a means of mounting a spare locking hub, and
2) a place to pop the wheel onto while I rotated it around to line up with the studs, and tighten (ever try to put a wheel/tire carrier that heavy on a mount above your shoulders? Yeah, you got it...)

Works fine, will hold forever.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

You can kinda almost sorta see it here:

If Beater welded it, however... it would hold. I expect he would preheat the hub prior to welding.

You might consider welding the spindle however, then mounting the hub to it. Then you get spare bearings and such (not that you really need them), and if you have just the right wheel, you get a spinner at highway speeds!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Those pieces look like weldable steel to me. I wouldn't be afraid to weld them... try it and see what happens.

In order to do the locking hub thing you'd need to get an axle stub to stick through the middle of it also.

I kinda dig the idea
82 FJ40
Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I would not trust the welded assembly to hold over 100 lbs. of tire over rough terrain. However, I did build a wheel mount out of 1.4" steel plate, one flat surface with 12mmx1.50 bolts for lugs, and two angled sides welded to the carrier tube. I then welded the lockout portion of the hub to that steel plate as

1) a means of mounting a spare locking hub, and
2) a place to pop the wheel onto while I rotated it around to line up with the studs, and tighten (ever try to put a wheel/tire carrier that heavy on a mount above your shoulders? Yeah, you got it...)

Works fine, will hold forever.
Thanks Bill; on your bumper are you referring to the plate that the wheel mounts to or the spindle that lets the swingout portion rotate? I was thinking of using the hub body as the spindle portion of the swingout. Good call on possibly getting a professional to weld it. I could mock it all up, then spot weld it in place and take it to someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Those pieces look like weldable steel to me. I wouldn't be afraid to weld them... try it and see what happens.

In order to do the locking hub thing you'd need to get an axle stub to stick through the middle of it also.

I kinda dig the idea
Yep I'd have to track down either a birf or an inner axle shaft, and spend a few cutoff discs shortening it up. (I am patient ) What I like about the idea is that all the parts could be somewhat defective (except for the freehub body) which may make sourcing them easier. Plus having the locking hub and being able to lock the swingout in any position would be really nice.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Plus you'd have a really big spindle and set of bearings. My little trailer spindle on my swing out seems to be a bit light duty for the task.
82 FJ40
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would suggest just getting a IPOR ready made shaft, bushings and sleeve. I bought one for like $35 bucks or something and it is well made and trustworthy. I had my truck out today at lefthand canyon and parked on a steep sidehill incline and opened my rear swing out and it stayed put once open.

Looks like it has gone up to $50 buck-a-roo's LINK but you won't get a pro welder to weld up your spindle home brew for less than that.

I have heard of a few horror stories of swing outs falling off at speed due to poor welds and shafts snapping off.

Just my .02

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Um, marco's as good as me, if not way better. He's like that with everything... but anyway,

hub spindles are very usuable, and can be fun and funky to build out of. You will need to clean the crap out of them though, probably a lot more than you would be patient enough to do.

In days past, 10 years or so ago, people used spindles for the reasons you described. They truth is today though, that people have discovered trailer spindles, or even specialized cup/cone assemblies. These are not all created equal, and when I was building these things, I found this out the hard way.

Try and find one with a 3/32" to 1/8th cylinder, and a shaft of 1". Then, pre-heat the shaft prior to glueing it to the mating surface for better penetration. Allow for natural cooling over many hours.

back to my hole.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
So I have a question for the welders. How feasible would it be to get a strong weld onto a Toyota front axle hub body?

I've been kicking around trying to build a rear tire swingout (not a full bumper). I'd like to get the tire out from underneath but don't forsee having enough money to buy a rear bumper with swingout.

So I am trying to figure out how feasible it may be to use some old parts off a 40/60/etc as the spindle portion. Build up a mount to bolt the spindle onto, and then weld the actual tire carrier to the hub body.

There are 2 reasons I was thinking of doing this. 1.) roached spindles and hub bodies that are no good for driving would work fine for a bumper and could probably be found really cheap if not free. 2.) Using a spindle with a freehub body would allow for only needing a latch without a secondary mechanism to close the "gate". The freehub could be turned to free to open, and then turned to "4x4" to either hold the gate open on a slope or hold it closed.

So, just not sure what type of metal the hub bodies are. From what little I know the higher the carbon content of the metal, the trickier the welding is. I have a promig 140 but don't know much about pre/post heating, etc. So maybe the question should be "can the hub body be welded with a wire feed alone?" or "Does anyone know what kind of steel the hubs/spindle are made from?" The last thing I want to do is have a weld fail on a swingout

So, any thoughts?
I have seen a bunch of them, they are great! You use the locking hub to make the swing out stop wherever you want it to stop. Don't worry about strength - I have seen ones that have lasted for decades holding not only over sized tires but also jerry cans, coolers, etc. They are stronger than heck! I can't remember which brimmer calendar it was but there is a rear shot of Royal Rose's pig with one of these on there. I think Ige used to have one on one of her rigs too. You usually see several every year at Cruise Moab.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Cool thanks for all the feedback everyone. I may try to track down some parts and give it a go, just because I have a lot of time on my hands right now, and not much money. And now that its getting a bit warmer out I can crawl under the cruiser and see what type of mounting might be possible.

So far the one major downside I can see to a swingout mounted "inside" the stock bumper using a front axle spindle is the height may block part of the brake light. I think I'll have to get my hands on a spindle/hub and then mock something up to see how big of an issue that may be.

Ideally I'd use 80 series parts but I'd have to buy a freehub for that, which defeats the low-cost goal. But it would allow for spare bearings, freehub, etc.