Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Random Misfire Stumping Me 2UZ (100)

Took it to Stapp Toyota. They said change spark plugs, clean MAF, clean Throttle Body. Said they checked fuel pressure, but when wife ask for the numbers, they said they couldn't give them to her.

Done all the above. It throws random misfires on all but 1 and 8, only threw a lean code once..( I think p171) Can't duplicate that code. Stumbles around 30-35 mph, more so when it's not under acceleration.

Need to fix in order to sell, no more need... Kids all driving.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Enjoyed my first meeting last night. I am posting at the suggestion of a member, I'm not usually one to ask without giving first. So thanks in advance
Tom
Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Injectors or ignition coil problem like Ricardo has experienced?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=12541

When you get it fixed, be sure to post up about the truck in the for sale section...Seems a lot of folks have been looking for a 100 series lately
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I had one bad one awhile back and isolated it. This time they are all over but sporadic. I forgot to add that the plugs were wet, i think that also indicates running lean. The radiator hose came off when my son was driving, and it started acting like this shortly there after. And thanks for listing suggestion.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

The plugs were wet under the plug wires? Or they were went on the electrode side?

Sounds like something got wet when the radiator hose came off and is causing problems now - hopefully one the guys familiar with the 100 series will chime in here...

I wouldn't bother with the dealer anymore though if you can't figure it out...I'd PM Robbie (aka powderpig) and pay him to fix it right for you - As a bonus, you could have him check out the entire truck and maybe provide you with a pre-purchase inspection report for anyone interested in the truck. If the potential buyer is a RS or MUD member that report will be worth its weight in gold
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

It doesn't sound consistent with the coil pack being bad. When the coil pack goes, the first symptoms are a stumble, hesitation when starting to move from a stop - feels like the transmission is going bad. Also, the OBD system has a P030x code, where x indicates the cylinder with an issue. The code is a Pending code until the CEL light turns on.
TLCA #18941
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Just for the helluvit, I swapped 2 coils , one from. Cyl 8 which never showed as a P308, and a coil from a misfiring cylinder(4) and the Code switched to a P308. So, I'll buy two coils see if I can clear up one side, if so, I'll switch all 4 side to side and see if the codes follow.

Thanks about pre-purchase inspection advice.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Get the codes. Often there is more than one code thrown at a time. Just replacing coils, may not be the cause of the misfire. You can have codes read at most auto parts stores. Or buy a Scanguage for $150 and it'll tell you lots of information and can be moved from auto to auto.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

That's what I get for being too smart by half... It was two bad coils. They were next to each other( 2/4) so I guess it caused a P301 occasionally as well as the p302 and p304. And once a p305. That caused me to believe it was fuel/vacuum related. As I said before so did the dealership and they have slot more toys than I.
I learned from this to Keep it Simple. Just glad I didn't okay the $1800 fix
Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Nice job figuring it out!

www.gamiviti.com