Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rear Cargo Area Spare Tire Carrier

Its turning out pretty good. But I'm starting to agree with the wife. Maybe I should have just bought Slee's? My cost will be under $100 but its taking some time to build.

Here are some pics. Porter really is not impressed by the way. I still need to source a 3rd bolt to use the captured nut for the OEM seat belt mount on the floor. That's the hole drilled already behind the gusset.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Looks great! But if you add one more thing to the back of your rig, you are going to need a smaller dog.

The craftsmanship and welding skills of this group astounds me.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

No someone will tell me I need a 100 series....

This is a temp fix until rear bumper funds are complete. Probably this season only. Then I will sell the system if anyone wants it.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

You could probably sell a decent number of these as a standalone item. However, I have one suggestion for an improvement. I saw some guys from the Wasatch club who had added a center tube that you put the wheel on before you slid it back onto the lugs. It made easier to lift it up and get it on the carrier without having to attempt to align it with the lugs. This is especially nice when you are lifting a 35" tire shoulder-high.

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
You could probably sell a decent number of these as a standalone item. However, I have one suggestion for an improvement. I saw some guys from the Wasatch club who had added a center tube that you put the wheel on before you slid it back onto the lugs. It made easier to lift it up and get it on the carrier without having to attempt to align it with the lugs. This is especially nice when you are lifting a 35" tire shoulder-high.
No way I'm putting this into production. Slee has this market cornered IMO.

If I'm following you right kind of like how the axle pokes through the wheel first then you line up the lugs? That would be a good idea. But with as tight as everything is in my design I don't think I'd have the space. I have to put the hub mount on my spare first. Then roll the tire into the back of the truck and bolt it on the upright. At 100+lbs for the spare it does suck. But I figure I won't have to do that very often in the real world.

Maybe I need to design a way to deploy a moto ramp to load my spare
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
No way I'm putting this into production. Slee has this market cornered IMO.
I wasn't talking about putting the whole inside carrier into production. I doubt there is a big demand anyway.

Since the hub with the lugs is a separate piece, I was saying you should put that into production as a product. If you had everything lined up perfectly, guys might say "I'm building the rest of my tire carrier for my bumper, but I'm buying the pivot from Iron Pig and the hub with lugs from Speski."
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.