Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ham Radio Yaesu FT8800R - $300 (Dillon Colorado)

I had this in my dodge remote mounted for two years. Works great. I forgot to take the mounting bracket out from under the dash when I sold my truck. I have all other parts. Will ship at no extra cost. KD5NFF

Icom IC-W31A Ham Radio Dual Band - $250 (Dillon Colorado)

The radio is open to out of band. I have the mic, desk charger, and car cigarette lighter charger. Works great.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

MFJ-259B SWR Antenna Analyzer - $200 (SE Denver)

MFJ-259B gives you a complete pictures of your antennas performance. You can read antenna SWR and Complex Impedance 1.8 to 170MHz
Read Complex Impedance as series resistance and reactance (R+jX) or as magnitude (Z) and phase (degrees). You can determine velocity factor, coax cable loss in dB, length of coax and distance to a short or open in feet. You can read SWR, return loss and reflection coefficient at any frequency simultaneously at a single glance. Also read inductance in UH and capacitance in pF at RF frequencies. Large easy-to-read two line LCD screen and side-by-side meters clearly display your information. Built-in frequency counter, Ni-Cad charger circuit, battery saver, low battery warning and smooth re-duction drive tuning and much more.
Super easy to use! Just set the bandswitch and tune the dial -- just like you transceiver. SWR and Complex Impedance are displayed instantly!

Heres what you can do
Find your antennas true resonant frequency. Trim dipoles and verticals.
Adjust your Yagi, quad, loop and other antennas, change antenna spacing and height and watch SWR, resistance and reactance change instantly. Youll know exactly what to do by simply watching the display. Perfectly tune critical HF mobile antennas in seconds for super DX -- without subjecting your transceiver to high SWR. Measure your antennas 2:1 SWR bandwidth on one band, or analyze multiband performance from 1.8 to 170Mhz! Check SWR outside the ham bands without violating FCC rules. Take the guesswork out of building and adjusting matching networks and baluns. Measure distance in feet to a short or open in faulty coax. Measure length of a roll of coax, coax loss, velocity factor, impedance. Measure inductance and capacitance. measure resonant frequency and approximate Q of traps, stubs, transmission lines, RF chokes, tuned circuits and baluns. Adjust your antenna tuner for a perfect 1:1 match without creating QRM. And this is only the beginning! the MFJ-259B is a complete ham radio test station including -- frequency counter, RF signal generator, SWR Analyzer, RF resistance and Reactance Analyzer, Coax Analyzer, Capacitance and Inductance Meter and more!

$200, meet up near SE Denver or Denver metro area. Cash only. First come, first serve. Unit was tested and includes batteries.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Looks like a price drop to $400.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2264487410.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Ham radio Yaesu VX-8R - $500 (PARKER, CO)

Great Beginners set. Very good condition. Barely used. You may test/make some calls before you buy it.

radio
car ant.
hand mic. and speaker
Programming software
Programming cable
Car charger
House charger

Serious buyer only

Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

MFJ-259B

Same as Dave posted, now down in price.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Marco this would look classy in your 40 http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2251129485.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

I dig it, I shot the person an email.
82 FJ40
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I dig it, I shot the person an email.
Happy hunting, it's been on CL for a while. It's a neat radio and from what I understand built like a tank.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok here's a silly question, but if it doesn't do CTCSS does that mean no repeaters? simplex only?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Ok here's a silly question, but if it doesn't do CTCSS does that mean no repeaters? simplex only?
If it does not do CTCSS, then yup. Some repeaters don't need CTCSS, but anymore that's pretty rare in the city.

Back when radios did not have tones or had optional tone boards, most repeaters did not use subtones because the spectrum was a lot less polluted. That was before cell phones, pagers, WiFi, plasma TVs, cordless phones, microwave ovens, microprocessor everywhere. It's all that stuff (mostly pagers) that prompted Motorola and GE to develop subtones for their commercial radios back in the 1970s and 1980s and it wasn't until the 1990s that ham repeaters really mushroomed with the use of tones, which is paralleled in the used VHF/UHF radios you see.

It's possible to add subtones outside the radio, several kits exist to do this. It's literally just a barely audible low frequency tone added to your signal, it's not really that exotic.

http://www.vk2bv.org/w_ctcss.htm
http://www.hamtronics.com/td5.htm

An experiment would be to record a tone and play it in the background when you talk. It would probably open the repeater if your mic was sensitive enough to such low frequencies (they probably aren't).

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

I was gonna ask the seller about that.
82 FJ40