Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Ham things learned at the CM2011 pre-run

1: I can usually talk to everyone on the trail while running low power. 5 watts is plenty.

2: Leave a gap in time between transmissions. Example: Two guys are commenting back and forth about IFS vs. live front axle. A third party may really want to get on the frequency to ask for help with a truck that is about to roll off a cliff but he can't get a word in edgewise. Leave a space between transmissions for other traffic.

3: 50 watts and a fair antenna will get you from I-70 to Area BFE at least some of the time. The antenna situation seems to have a lot more to do with range than the power output.

4: The Moab 090 repeater actually DOES work, but we were never able to use it in a situation where we could not just use a simplex frequency.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

5: When a call is made out for help or parts etc. have only one person handle the call. If the person handling the call needs help or needs to relay a message someone else let them do it. Don't just jump in the middle of the conversation unless it is absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Umbrella point(s)--

Learn to be calm while on the air. Often operators get worked up a little when they are on the air, like stage-fright or trying to do the right thing. If operators remain calm more often, more actual real communications go on.

For all of the great examples listed already, keeping the conversation calm will help loads. There is no need to jump on before the other operator jumps off. The break in transmissions should become a natural habit of your operating practice.

Once you have an emergency situation which requires someone to be the command operator, usually that responsibility befalls the trail leader. This should be classified as a "net coordinator". This person says who talks and when. When the emergency is over, normal operations resume.
On the GTR when Team Nakman was hanging precariously from the ledge, too much confusion arose. Instead, the emergency call should have been put out, and the trail leader (Me) should have announced to keep the frequency open only for emergency traffic. It would have gone better. As it was, fragments of info were getting passed around like rumors in high school, and I had no idea there was a problem until 15-20 later.

carry on...
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Lifted

Edit: Will there be simplex frequency assignments per trail?

Last edited by xodeuce; 03-31-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM

Default Moab Ham Radio Frequencies

What are the must have Moab frequencies? Still need to program the radio for the trip.

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post

Edit: Will there be simplex frequency assignments per trail?
Yes every trail has its own frequency.

We actually promote people talking on the radio be it ham or CB. Leaving a few seconds between transmissions can be part of the pre-run meeting.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cruzer View Post
What are the must have Moab frequencies? Still need to program the radio for the trip.
Not sure yet what trails will carry what frequency. There will be a hand out that will have all the trails with their respective frequencies. There really is no need to program them since you will only need three for the trip unless you show up early and go on a non planned run. Then we just use the 146.460 or something close to that.

If you have the CO repeaters programed you will be able to talk to the others driving up to the event, at least past GJ after that it gets a little dicey.

Hope that helps you.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Frequencies should be the same as last year...Plus a frequency for 7 mile rim.

I don't think I have a list compiled at this time, but we did discuss it a couple of months ago.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Lifted

Linky:

My Yaesu radio setup for Moab

Thread started by 60wag last year.