Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well for $50 and a cool radio, I'm not sure that's a big turn-off.. yes repeaters are wonderful but you could always attach the HT into your better mobile antenna if you really need one. The rest of the time enjoy the bliss of clear, local, 2m communication.. we're on simplex most of the time anyway.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

HRO has a very nice looking used Kenwood TS-570/D for sale for $840. Not sure what they went for new. It was a pretty darn nice radio a few years ago, so I bet it was easily $2,000 back around 1999~2001.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1570.html

http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts570dg.htm

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd worried about the freebanding. The statement that it was done 'professionally' implies that it was modified via soldering iron. These radios supported MARS/CAP software configurations and so there is no reason to do this inside by removing resistors.

Not to harp that it's illegal, but freebanding HTs is mostly done to allow them to talk on FRS and most ham antennas have too narrow bandwidth for this. It's not hard at all to harm your radio TX'ing at FRS frequencies with a 70cm ham antenna. Being that it is 100% against the rules to use removable antennas on FRS radios of any type (even legal ones must have fixed antennas), there exists no commercial options that allow this safely...

Yaesu VX-5R HT ham radio - triple-bander - $150 (Denver)

Yaesu VX-5R Triple-band Heavy Duty FM Transceiver 50/144/430 Mhz
This is a nice radio in mint condition w/ all original packaging, manuals etc.
- less than 20 hours of actual use!
- Receives on the followings bands: Weather band, AM air-traffic control, AM radio, FM Radio, BC band, SW band, TV bands VHF & UHF, 50 Mhz ham, 144 Mhz ham, 430 Mhz ham band, Action Band 1 (222 – 420 Mhz) Action Band 2 (800 – 999Mhz).
- It’s a small, light-weight, fully programmable, 5W output hand-talkie (HT) ham radio that does it all!

-Rugged Diecast Aluminum Construction
-Full 5W PerformanceTribander
-High-Capacity, High-Power Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
-Extensive Battery Conservation Features
-Wide-band receiver
-Smart Search
-Versatile Scanning Options
-Dot Matrix LCD
-ARTS
-Extensive Memory System with Alphanumeric Labels
-CTCSS and DCS Encoder/Decoders
-Satellite Operation
-Automatic Repeater Shift
-Computer Interface
-Busy Channel Lock Out
- Professionally modified for “Freeband” operation, radio has been unlocked to allow for out-of-band transmission

call or text Rick - 303-842-5084

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

So it seems like using something out of band would be a really bad Idea.... I am assuming these folks don't announce their call signs?
82 FJ40
Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Happy hunting, it's been on CL for a while. It's a neat radio and from what I understand built like a tank.
The person still hasn't gotten back to me.
82 FJ40
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
So it seems like using something out of band would be a really bad Idea.... I am assuming these folks don't announce their call signs?
Remember the rules, that equipment for ham is not allowed use outside of ham bands. The term is 'type approved' and is the case for all types, FCC Part 97 defines amateur service, Part 95 defines personal communication (CB, FRS, etc), Part 87 is aviation, Part 90 business radios, Part 80 maritime radios.

Each service has defining rules. For example freebanded HTs used for FRS violate Part 95 rules on at least two points. A legal FRS unit cannot have been modified from its original factory configuration and it cannot have a detachable antenna.

Ham is unique in that radios for all the other services can be 100% legally modified and used for amateur service. This the /only/ service that allows doing this and if you want to go the other way you have to either be an OEM radio company or hold a GROL for the FCC to recognize your authority to approve or re-approve the radio for the non-Part 97 use again. In some cases it is /never/ possible to get the ham-used gear back for its original type. FRS is one case that AFAIK once the factory seal is broken the radio can never be used for FRS in the future.

Yes, I would think using your call sign doing something against the FCC rules would be unwise. Which, BTW, is a good point. When you are doing other services, the requirements for ham don't necessarily apply. Like using your ham call sign is not necessary and actually discouraged on CB. Also just because you are ham doesn't mean you can apply those rules to other services. Like you are still limited to 4W carrier on CB on 11m regardless that you can use 1,500W when operating as a general on your HF rig at 10m or 12m on either side of CB.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Decent deal, a VX-7R goes for about $325 new.

YAESU TRANSCEIVER - $175 (Fort COLLINS/OLD TOWN)

YAESU: Triple -Band Heavy Duty Submersible Transceiver
model#VX-7R
COMES EXTERNAL ATTENA,CAR CORD AND OWNERS MANUAL
LIKE NEW CONDITION,NEVER REALY USED.
CALL 970 222 5962 PLEASE LEAVE MESSAGE

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

Might be a little beat up, hard to tell in the photo. But the IC-2800 is a pretty cool radio.

ICOM IC-2800 2M/70CM Dual Band Amateur Radio - $250 (Briargate)

Up for sale is an ICOM IC-2800 Dual Band Mobile Radio. This radio is moderately used, but in perfect working order. The radio operates on both the 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter bands. I originally intended to use it in my car, but went with a 2M only radio instead. I use this radio for EmComm only, and feel Ican let it go, as I have others that will work for my needs.

The radio also comes with an Anderson PowerPole connector on it, for those of you that may be ARES or RACES members.

I will not accept checks, credit cards, or cashiers checks, nor will I ship the item. This is a Cash Only, Local Pickup Only item.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, what does this mean:

"People complain about not being able to do V/V or U/U, which is not a priority to me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Might be a little beat up, hard to tell in the photo. But the IC-2800 is a pretty cool radio.

ICOM IC-2800 2M/70CM Dual Band Amateur Radio - $250 (Briargate)

Up for sale is an ICOM IC-2800 Dual Band Mobile Radio. This radio is moderately used, but in perfect working order. The radio operates on both the 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter bands. I originally intended to use it in my car, but went with a 2M only radio instead. I use this radio for EmComm only, and feel Ican let it go, as I have others that will work for my needs.

The radio also comes with an Anderson PowerPole connector on it, for those of you that may be ARES or RACES members.

I will not accept checks, credit cards, or cashiers checks, nor will I ship the item. This is a Cash Only, Local Pickup Only item.

82 FJ40
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Dave, what does this mean:

"People complain about not being able to do V/V or U/U, which is not a priority to me."
Hey I think I know that answer... it means you can't rock out to two VHF frequencies at the same time, or two UHF frequencies.. has to be one of each. That would be a deal killer for me, I'm always on 2 2m channels (VHF) on the 8800, usually one repeater one simplex, but in Moab two simplex. If that were the case with the Icom, I'd pass..

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../1153spec.html

www.gamiviti.com