Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Lots of comments on MUD that the Duratrac's have very thin sidewalls. No idea if/how that translates into any trail weaknesses.

I would really bias to road use for the hundy - of course it is going to tempt you to wheel harder, but you have rigs for that and if the hundy is going to move up the ladder you are probably talking gears and 35's anyway.

I'd probably get Terragrapplers for a 285. Boring? Yes. But probably with no downsides, too.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

As an owner of Duratracs I would not recommend them for wheeling based on how thin the sidewalls are. They are great on the road and in the snow. And that is all I own mine for. One of my local tire shops will not sell them anymore for the oil & gas trucks due to repeated failures.

I really think its hard to beat the Nitto TG's based on value.

My neighbor has the DC FCII's and likes them. Another good choice there. The summit county crowd gave good reports in the snow. It was also editors choice in a tire review in Overland Journal.

Really liking my General Grabbers. But I bet they suck in the snow/ice. I'll never know.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

I say go with the Dick's. Better price, decent reviews, and different - which was one of your criteria.

And think about it - before every Rising Sun meeting we can gather in the parking lot and "kick the dicks." Hardy har har....
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok Duratracs are out then, thanks guys. So leaning towards the Dick's.. Nay you're probably right when/if we do gears it's 35's too, so these are likely just a bridge for the next 1-2 years.

any comments on the Dynapro's?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
No firsthand experience, but got a buddy who runs them on his 62, in a 35". For a mild mud terrain they work pretty well, and are wearing really well. IIRC last time I was in Junction he said about 20k on the tires and still had more than 1/2 tread left. They pack up with mud but but a quick goose of the stupid pedal clears them out well. Not sure about snow performance. When he got them a few years back they were the hot ticket as the price vs. performance was outstanding. I think they've gotten a fair bit more expensive in the last few years. Had they been similarly priced to the TG's I would have gone the hankook route and gotten a slightly more aggressive tread without going full-blown MT.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

One thing to consider about the DC's is that if you will wheel them far from home (such as Moab) you aren't likely to get a replacement easily if you blow one. That's probably the biggest advantage of sticking with a major brand.

Now I don't adhere to that advice myself, but it is food for thought where being different just to be different may have some downsides.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
One thing to consider about the DC's is that if you will wheel them far from home (such as Moab) you aren't likely to get a replacement easily if you blow one. That's probably the biggest advantage of sticking with a major brand.
Not that big of deal if you buy 5 to start with. Most likely you'll be able to finish off your trip with the spare. Replace it when you get home.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Not that big of deal if you buy 5 to start with. Most likely you'll be able to finish off your trip with the spare. Replace it when you get home.
No, it's not a huge deal, and tire failures are less and less common these days. But...if you blow one early on it's worth considering if all else is equal.

For example, try finding a 37x12.5x16 trxus just about anywhere
Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post

I'm having the same search you are right now. Since the 100 is DD I'm not sure I would like the M/Ts on there. I do like the Hankooks though. I read a ton of good reviews on them so I put a set of their road tires on my wife's van. They are really nice.

Have you looked at the "HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM"? You can get a set of 4 at Pepboys mounted and balanced with road hazard and prorated replacement for $715 after rebate.

79' FJ40
98' 100 Series
TLCA #16134
Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Why not another set of Maxxis Big Horns?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com