Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think I can get away for a bit on the 17th to test out the Ham. Where and what time?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sunday morning (9:00?) sounds good to me. Can anyone else make it? Dave, if you have the gear to analyze my antenna, that would be great. I'll get the gear installed Friday or Saturday and try to figure out how to put some repeaters and channels into memory.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I think I can get away for a bit on the 17th to test out the Ham. Where and what time?
ditto
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Rising Sun Commander

How about the Mathews/Winters parking area again? Last time that was pretty central to those interested.. hopefully it doesn't snow 3' this time.

and btw Dave, thanks for stepping up to lead the Ham & Eggs run! I should be able to make it, will bring some breakfast food to share..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I thought about that, but that parking lot gets pretty full on weekends and it's supposed to be decent weather. I am open to suggestions. Maybe Red Rocks?
Slee's parking lot?
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
Slee's parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Maybe Red Rocks?
I would vote either Red Rocks or Heritage Square. A bit closer for me than driving up to Slee. And Red Rocks I could just cruise down 74 to Morrison.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Dave, I will be busy doing a certain major mod to the Chili on the 17th, but I do need some brief assistance with swr and figuring out why I can never hit the GJ repeater. Probably stupid simple. Maybe some night?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Do things work OK locally, simplex and the repeaters? Check

Have you checked for obvious problems, corrosion, kinked or abraded cables, bad PL-259 connector? It actually works pretty well. I don't seem to have quite the reach of others even at 50W

For example, corrosion of the NMO. My memory is that the underside of the NMO was exposed and it's pretty important to keep water intrusion to a mimimum. They are designed to be mounted in sheet metal and there is no attempt to made the coax side of NMOs weather tight, so when they are mounted on brackets there needs liberal use of silicone caulk.
Check. I went by HRO and they recommended this gooey tape seal stuff. Well-slathered.

Do you seem to hear the repeater OK? Really well. Can you get into the repeater in GJ and/or along I-70 anywhere? Having any trouble with other CCR machines, Denver, Breck, Vail, Glenwood? I hit other repeaters but can't seem to get tone on that one.

Can you tell if the radio happens to be in low power? IIRC, the FT-7800 shows no indication if you are using 50W but shows 'L' and 'M' for lower TX power. Could be a mistake in the programming that we put the GJ CCR location at 10W instead of 50W. I've tried all power levels.

Like I say... probably something really obvious. To everyone but me. My brain is full from work and boost info... LOL The antenna I got from HRO is very vulnerable to trail damage, dang it. I really wanted a long flexible one or a spring mount or something but they steered me away since getting out there was important to me. Might be a bad choice for my use I guess.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
The antenna I got from HRO is very vulnerable to trail damage, dang it. I really wanted a long flexible one or a spring mount or something but they steered me away since getting out there was important to me. Might be a bad choice for my use I guess.
What antenna do you have? I was just at HRO trying to decide and opted for a longer (48") more fragile 5/8 wave. I'm hoping it doesn't get broken my first outing, but I'm mounting it within view, so hopefully I'll avoid damage. I was hoping for some more reach as well.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's probably the one. OK for Moab, but a bit vulnerable in CO.
KDěRCH
Bio Page