Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Throw on the 315's. You'll be fine with stock gears. Do it after Moab.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Run the big tires with the tall gears for the week. Suffer on the highway for what? 14 hours? Enjoy the rest of the week on the trail and in camp with the bigger tires.

Re-gear when you get back. Sell the 255s to fund the spare chunks and build them at your leisure. Then swap them in over a weekend. 1 day for each axle should give you time to do the front axle seals and wheel bearings and stuff while you are in there.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Run the big tires with the tall gears for the week. Suffer on the highway for what? 14 hours? Enjoy the rest of the week on the trail and in camp with the bigger tires.

Re-gear when you get back. Sell the 255s to fund the spare chunks and build them at your leisure. Then swap them in over a weekend. 1 day for each axle should give you time to do the front axle seals and wheel bearings and stuff while you are in there.
x2 x3 etc...I ran 35's with stock gears in Moab last year and had no issues...well unless you call it an issue when I was towing a camper up Vail Pass and getting passed by RV's and tanker trucks...

I also have a chance to re-gear before Moab this year and just am not comfortable with not having enough time to break everything in and work out all the bugs...
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
x2 x3 etc...I ran 35's with stock gears in Moab last year and had no issues...well unless you call it an issue when I was towing a camper up Vail Pass and getting passed by RV's and tanker trucks...
I was getting passed with 285s running 4.88 gears...The only thing that will allow YOU to pass is a supercharger, turbo, or swapping in a V8

Ige, my fwiw is run what you have or at the most, throw on the 315s, and do the gears after. IMO, when you do the gears it only makes sense to replace the seals and do the axle service etc. since everything is apart. BTW, IMO the 4.88s with 285s ROCK - other than things get "buzzy" on the highway over 70mph with the RPMs, the 80 actually feels sortof powerful. Way more so than the 's stock 80

Any concerns with tire rub running the 315s and the suspension you have? I was contemplating finally putting on the 315s this year before CM but I'm still on an OME (heavy) lift and I don't really want to be rubbing the tires on the flares and the wheel wells etc. all week long. Plus I still haven't found a 315 spare
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

I'm running a 2.5 lift with 315's and stock gearing right now and it rub's very little in the rear wheel well at full stuff..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drive the pig. Its cooler anyway.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

315's, stock gears, and drop your rear bumpstops 1.5" if they are still stock.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

My vote is keep the 255's on there, focus on other maintenance, mods, and getting your camping stuff together. Then take your time with the gear install, do the break-ins, then go rock Jenny Creek in June with those 315's.

my Everyone comments on going uphill with big tires and stock gears.. my beef is the downhill sections. You'll be in low range, 1st gear for the tough stuff.. not much different from anything else. But then you click it up to 2nd and you'll be warp speed headed to the truck in front of you. You'll either need to ride your brakes all the way down the hill, or constantly toggle between 1st and 2nd to maintain the gap. 2nd gear is just a "little too fast" to just steer and not touch the pedals, but when you finally get the 4.88's and 315's it pulls that range back under control nicely, and makes for descending hills all that much more enjoyable, particularly when you're in a large group.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, but Ige doesn't do slow. Something I discovered on Cliffhanger on the angled ledge climb...
And again on Chinaman's...

Everything Ige does is with GUSTO.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

hmmm, not sure where romer got the part time thing from. i am in almost done with part time kit, but the tcase isn't even a consideration right now.

i think i am going to leave stock gearing until after moab, so it's just down to tire size. the 315's really sapp the power. my cruiser feels like a dog compared to the 255s. they are bigger, heavier and wider, so there's a lot more rolling resistance.

with the 255s, passing is possible, and i think i've been spoiled with them...i may be really disappointed on the trip out there with the 315s, but i'll live. i really like they way they look, i love seeing the fenders more filled in, but i do flex pretty dang good...i've gotten the 255s pretty stuffed up. i can't drop the bump stops as there aren't any...with lots of drilling and tapping, i might be able to get the junkyard ones that i picked up on (ih8rust)....maybe i'll do that this weekend since i'm not regearing...if i flex the rear axle all the way, i think i can get a drill up there to drill out the old bolts that snapped off.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431