Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Cruise Moab 2011 Tech Inspection Q & A

Hi everyone, my name is Randy Rosetta and I am the technical inspection coordinator for this year's Cruise Moab event. The entire CM11 committee is looking forward to another fun and safe event for everyone. One of the ways we ensure that is to make sure everyone shows up with a vehicle that is as safe, reliable and prepared to take on the challenges of Moab as possible.

Please be sure and read through the "Vehicle Requirements" section on the Cruise Moab 2011 website. It's pretty straight forward but were starting this tech forum now so folks have a chance to ask questions if they have any concerns. Don't hesitate to post up with any question. If this is your first trip to Moab we welcome "newbie" questions of any kind no matter how basic they may be. If I can't answer your question I'll enlist the aid of one of our many Moab veterans who can.

Heres a few tips and suggestions to get things started:

It's January 18th and there are only 106 days before CM11 starts! You need to get started NOW getting those brakes fixed, repacking those hubs and wheel bearings, and deciding whether to go with 33's or 35's for those new tires, etc. In spite of this, I know some of you will end up burning the midnight oil at the 11th hour to get that new clutch in just before leaving for Moab I know, sometimes that is part of the fun. Just make sure you give yourself enough time because we want to see you all here!

If you have a winch, now's a good time to make sure it works well. If you need new solenoids or other parts they can take some time to arrive. It's always a good idea to have a friend help you unspool your cable/rope all the way out and check it for cuts, nicks and frayed areas. Spool it back on straight and even and be sure to wear heavy leather gloves (bring them with you too). Clean the electrical connections at the battery too.

Almost every rig will have a minor drip here or there. Those aren't a problem but please check your rig for more serious leaks and get them addressed early. Remember, for most of the trails we run in Moab we are a guest of the BLM and we have to apply for permits every year for CM. One of the ways we've been able to maintain our excellent relationship with the BLM is by making every effort to protect the environment. We do that by making every effort to not leak coolant, oil or grease onto the trails. All of our trail leaders also carry spill kits in case there is an incident too.

One of the most common tech failures, especially for some of the older rigs, is not having a coolant overflow bottle attached to the radiator. Make sure your rig has one. You can get the generic ones at most auto parts stores for $10 or so, we've even seen liter soda bottles rigged up. As long as it will catch any overflow, you're good to go.

You will see some amazing scenery in Moab, but it is also a very fragile environment. We always stay on the marked trails and never take short cuts or drive into new areas. When you're out of the vehicle watch where you walk. Certain areas around Moab have very sensitive and protected ground covering, learn how to recognize them and don't walk on them. If nature calls, be prepared to pack out your TP and solid wastes. In Moab's extreme and dry desert environment, any waste left behind could last for decades. The only "snow" we want to see on the side of the trails is the type that melts in spring .

Folks show up all the time with a variety of straps, ropes and chains for towing and recovery. We strongly recommend you invest in a heavy duty webbed/nylon type tow strap that is properly rated for the size/weight of your vehicle. Ideally you want one that has sewn loops on each end and does not have metal hooks already attached. The hooks have a way of breaking and becoming high speed ufo's. A couple of good quality D rings are a good idea, and make sure you have good attachment points on your rig both front and rear.

If this is your first trip to Utah, especially if your rig is heavily modified, it may be worth going online and checking the Utah DMV website. Moab is a mecca for 4 wheelers of all types and from every where. As a result the Moab police and Utah Highway Patrol are usually pretty accomodating for all but the most heavily modified rigs. But, if you plan on driving on the roads there are rules and limits on certain things like how far your tires stick out, having fenders or mudflaps, etc. I am not an expert on all of those requirements so please check the Utah DMV website and learn the restrictions so you don't get a ticket.

Happy wrenching
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Tech inspection at Slickrock Campground will be open and available per the following schedule:

Wednesday May 4th; 8AM to Noon then 1PM to 5PM

Thursday May 5th; 7AM to 8AM

Friday May 6th; 7AM to 8AM

If you are going on either of the overnight runs, please contact your trail leader for the run you're on as they will be arranging tech inspections separately.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Here is the updated 2011 Tech Inspection form we'll be using. This will give you a good idea of what the safety teams will be checking for when your vehicle is inspected.

To be clear, our inspectors are not on a mission to find every little thing in an effort to fail vehicles. We ARE determined to do our best to make sure everyone is as safe as possible so you all have a great time and can go home with lots of great stories to tell. We will work with you in every way possible to ensure your rig passes without compromising anyones safety.

If you want to download and print this form, feel free. Use it to perform your own inspection before Moab to see if your rig passes. If you want to fill out the top sections (name/address; Maximum Trail Rating registered for; initial the 3 insurance/registration/Drivers license statements) sign the bottom then print it out (full size please) and bring it with you to CM11 it can save a little time in the inspection line. We will have blank forms to complete in the inspection line though if you don't have one with you.

Please make sure you have your current (not expired ) drivers license, vehicle registration and proof of insurnace with you. In speaking with some of the veteran inspectors it appears having expired proof of insurance is one of the most common failures. It can be a real hassle trying to call your agent and find a place for them to fac POI to so remember to have your current info with you before you leave for Moab!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CM2011 Safety Inspection Form.pdf (107.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Some other common issues are;

Parking brake (please practice on flat ground prior to your arrival in Moab)
Fire extinguisher
Cb radio (make sure it works, you buy the beer if you squelch every time you talk)
Excessive play in steering.
No spare tire (don't want to start a debate with the 40" tire crowd, this is for the guy with 33's) Have a good spare tire mounted to your truck and the tools to change it. Many newer trucks have keys to lower the spare or special anti theft lugnuts.

If you have difficulties like, "sometimes it overheats" or "it makes a clicking sound when I turn left" please resolve these issues prior to your arrival in Moab. Solving problems wednesday night at camp or on trail with 20 rigs waiting is not the appropriate place.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default License & Registration is mandatory

Hi everyone, were getting a lot closer to Moab, a little over a month away now. I have one big update I would like to remind everyone about:

The permits for our activity have changed this year and there is now a hard and fast requirement for every driver, on any trail, to have a valid state issued drivers license. To be clear, it doesn't matter if we are off road, anyone driving a vehicle on any of our runs must be licensed.

Also, every vehicle must have valid reistration. If the vehicle has license plates, then make sure your registration is current and you have it in your possesion. If you have a buggy type vehicle, it must have a valid Utah OHV tag that you can buy locally.

We have been told by the permit issuing agency, they are bringing in extra folks to actively enforce the regulations on the trails and they will be spot checking groups for compliance.

We dont want to lose our permit for future events, so please come prepared with all the right paper work and we shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Rock Stacker

I have a question about recovery points. I know the front tabs on the 80 series ARB bumpers aren't meant for recovery, so I was wondering what most people use instead? The one I have has the updates loop with a washer welded to the side of it to reinforce it a bit but it's probably not the greatest attachment point.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Dixon Bates on ARB
Attached Images

http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the pics. Those look nice but spendy. Any other options?

I was considering moving the rear OEM tow loops to the front under the ARB and just installing a tow hitch w/o the ball and a d-ring in it's place in the rear receiver hitch.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
I have a question about recovery points. I know the front tabs on the 80 series ARB bumpers aren't meant for recovery, so I was wondering what most people use instead? The one I have has the updates loop with a washer welded to the side of it to reinforce it a bit but it's probably not the greatest attachment point.
I reinstalled the stock front tie down loops with the ARB (they make great rock feelers ). Techically they aren't recovery points either though, just tie downs. I'm trying to remember what Robbie has told me about the ARB tabs - IIRC it was that he felt they were ok for direct ahead pulls but not good for angled recoveries as they'll bend.

EDIT: I think I also recall Robbie saying to be careful of the tie down loops because if one of those were to break loose watchout
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 04-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Thanks for the pics. Those look nice but spendy. Any other options?

I was considering moving the rear OEM tow loops to the front under the ARB and just installing a tow hitch w/o the ball and a d-ring in it's place in the rear receiver hitch.
Yes, that's an excellent idea. the tow loops in front, and just use the receiver hitch in back- don't even put a hitch in, just put the strap into the receiver, put the hitch pin through the loop. rock solid.

www.gamiviti.com