Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I ran Fins & Things with Phil Simmons when he was in his bone-stock taco x-cab. Only issue was slight dragging of the underside of the rear bumper on some of the ledges. The only damage was some slight scratches to the chrome where you couldn't see it anyway. There were no spots whatsoever where he needed sliders. I have also led Chicken Corner a number of times. It is Subaru Grade. I can't speak to 7 mile as I haven't run it (It is a new trail this year), but if you have worries your trail leader can help spot you over difficult stuff. Over the years I have taken pride on spotting newbies in their bone stock rigs over stuff they didn't know they could do, with no damage to their rigs. You'd be surprised what a stock Toyota 4x4 can do!

Hello Jeff, i also ran with Phil, but he was quite experienced, and he did scape up his bumper pretty good... He said he did not care because he planned to replace them anyway (always had an awsome attitude)... All the trails have been getting more dug out over the years as well.. I used to be able to do the Widow Maker in the Runner... that is no longer the case, and my rig did not change..

As far as Fins and things, coming down several spots before crossing the road (the first section) were worse and had less forgiving places for a long wheel base then the second half.. As you are very familiar there are bypasses for many places, including Kenny's climb but several of the climbs after Kennys are tail draggers for longer rigs to get started on... I bring this up because they may be able to join after the first section (i have had to do this in the past because of CM business).. had a great time.

That said, ther are plenty of cool places and mellow trails to enjoy in the area. Several have been mentioned, but there is also Looking Glass road to the "dirt road" that is a back way to the needles overlook.. This is pretty cool and goes by several "cave communities" that i found facinating... If they come out and are nervous with any of the trails, more than likely they can ride with someone else (especially with so many more wagons coming nowadays). or find some other great rides. So much to explore, so little time
KD0EXO
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Rock Stacker

I'm in a similar situation, my armored 80 is in storage in IL, and we are in ID and will be attending CM in my wife's 80 which only has an ARB front bumper, OME J's front/rear, 315 cooper stt's, e-lockers and a factory hitch.

We're signed up for Th-porcupine, FRI-poison spider, and Sat-hells revenge. I haven't been on any of these trails so I don't know what to expect. I was planning on making some sliders with the help from a neighbor, but he's been too busy.

I also posted on the mud thread linked above. Do you think I should bail on some of these trails so my wife doesn't send me to the dog house with an expensive rocker panel repair bill after CM? If it was my 80 I wouldn't care as much.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Administrator

I've run poison spider and hells revenge with 285's and J's in an 80 with no sliders and suffered no damage to the rockers. factory hitch got lots of use. Honestly of the trails you mention the biggest threat to rockers is definitely porcupine rim. There is one section that if you aren't careful, you'll crunch them, but there is an alternate line you can get around with. I have run that trail in a 4Runner with 32's and an FJ60 with 31's. The FJ60 actually did get a small dent in the rocker. But it only had a 2" lift and I wasn't careful at all driving that truck I think you'll be fine if you're careful in the 80 with 35's and J's.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks Kipper, that's good to hear as $600-1000 for sliders isn't something we have in the budget with the recent head gasket job I just finished last week and a blown birf/ front axle job (in progress).

So there's a bypass or alternate line you take on porcupine? Hopefully the EJS didn't make any significant changes to the trails.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post

So there's a bypass or alternate line you take on porcupine? Hopefully the EJS didn't make any significant changes to the trails.

There are two spots on Porcupine- one near the bottom where there's a small drop-off to the left, you have to hug the right bank and you'll be fine, if you get too far left you'll drop down and hang up on both axles.... hmm maybe I can find a picture of Romer doing that..

the second spot is about mid way, you'll actually descend a little hill, through some trees, then the trial goes up and to the right. Hard right takes you to the bigger "step" obstacle, a little wider to the left is easier. both should be pretty obvious, I'd totally take your rig up there.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

this guy is going up the middle that is most likely to get your rocker, you can see there is a line to his right you can also take that stock trucks will take typically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0YFMn5aPc

but as you said, after EJS every year that section gets worse and worse.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

this has the other section nakman is referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXcOWz2LZRE
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the videos guys. I guess I'll just take my chances and take it easy. I wish I would have had time to switch the sliders from my 80 to the 's before I moved.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
this has the other section nakman is referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXcOWz2LZRE

I recognize that video - Kipper, pretty sure that was the year you hit your rocker in the 60.

Here are some videos of Poison Spider from 4 years ago (the kid's all time favorite for some reason):

http://youtu.be/arRi6NnsPd4

http://youtu.be/kmT9RtHEbto

http://youtu.be/oathfvj_2tQ

To the OP, IMO Porcupine Rim and Poison Spider are the two most likely trails for you to possibly hit a rocker panel on. With your lift, 315s, and being careful I think you'd be fine but...I've run Hells Revenge once (forgot the camcorder) and IIRC, other than the entrance to and exit from the trail, it was mostly level (abeit sometimes steep) up and down on slickrock. I don't even think Tip Over Challenge would cause any concerns if you chose to do the obstacle vs. hitting the bypass.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
So there's a bypass or alternate line you take on porcupine?
When I lead Porcupine rim I always guide newbies in stock wagons up the far right hand side of the ledge in that first video. Never crunched anybody's rocker even on stock springs and 235s. The trick is just stay as far right as possible.

That's the ledge where I got the nickname "homeless guy". Long story. I was spotting a stock wagon (FJ62) up the ledge. Seriously, on any of these trails, if you have ANY reservations whatsoever we will spot you professionally and perfectly. We have been doing this a long time and take pride in making sure everyone has a great experience.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/