Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Lifted

Default My FJ-60 is reBjorn!

With new legs my FJ-60 also gets a new name. Now she/he is now Bjorn. ReBjorn and Bjorn free.

Woke up this morning to grey skies but no rain. Marco came over around 8:30 and we got started. My other helpers bailed. Still have a fridge full of burgers, brats and beer they missed out on. Gonna have to schedule a second party for doing things like installing the extended brake lines, TRE's, etc.

The setup is OME medium springs and u bolts, MAF anti-inversion shackles (1 1/2" over stock), Doetsch Tech Prerunner shocks. Pins and bushings, are all from MAF.

Started by jacking things up.

Torched the hanger pins to get the bushings out.

Got the first spring on.

Putting on new shocks.

8 3/4" of travel.

Front end done. It went easy.

Front done with the rear looking all saggy.

Starting on the rear.

More bushing removal.

Used the torch to cut one of the bolts off.

Red hot bolt.

Cutting off rear shackle. Exhaust pipe was in the way. This job would have been impossible without Marco and his oxy-acetylene torch.

Rear springs on.

We got everything on finally. We had to take off the driveshaft to get the rear axle to seat on the springs. Rover67 had to take off so I had to put the driveshaft back on and torque everything down. Took about 7 hours with just the two of us.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Lifted

I took Bjorn for a spin to break in the springs a bit. The shocks I bought for the rear were too long so I was cruising without them. I foolishly took the advice of the Doetsch Tech salesperson instead of going with the shocks I knew would work. It didn't really matter as far as the ride was concerned. Bumps that used to be bone jarring were soaked up like they didn't exist. Of course my steering wheel is 45 degrees to the right but that is expected.

Still need to put on new tie rod ends, steering stabilizer and extended brake lines. Will also need to extend my axle breathers.

So here are the pics. Need a better poser rock. Wasn't even close to stuffing the front tires.

My saggy rear end is gone! No more 1 1/2" until hitting my bumpstops.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looks great! Nothing like a new set of springs to breathe some new life into a truck.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

nother 60 lookin good!
TLCA#4180
Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Glad you got it all buttoned up!

Did the Drive shaft go on OK after removing the grease nipple? How does it steer on the Hwy?
82 FJ40
Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Glad you got it all buttoned up!

Did the Drive shaft go on OK after removing the grease nipple? How does it steer on the Hwy?
Took the zerk off with a 7mm socket. Squeezed out a boatload of grease and got it back on. Didn't take her on the freeway yet. Body roll is definitely lessened. Steering wheel is 45 degrees to the right, but tracks OK.

Got on a short stretch of washboard. Going about 40mph it soaks up all the bumps, even without rear shocks. The too long shocks are on Craigslist.

Was hoping it would quit raining so I can torque everything down again. Got all your sockets degreased and cleaned up.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

don't forget to put a wrench on all those grease nipples too.

The reason your wheel is crooked is because it is a taller truck now, so the tie rod coming from the pitman arm to the relay rod needs to be a bit longer. you can adjust it with a pipe wrench after loosening the clamps that hold it from moving. it won't affect your alignment. You might want to wait a bit for the suspension to settle before doing it though otherwise you might be doing it twice.
82 FJ40
Old 05-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
don't forget to put a wrench on all those grease nipples too.

The reason your wheel is crooked is because it is a taller truck now, so the tie rod coming from the pitman arm to the relay rod needs to be a bit longer. you can adjust it with a pipe wrench after loosening the clamps that hold it from moving. it won't affect your alignment. You might want to wait a bit for the suspension to settle before doing it though otherwise you might be doing it twice.
I think I'll be waiting a while before doing the alignment. I got a serious lean now, but that's to be expected.

I want to re-pack the knuckles next. While I'm down there I might as well do the backing plate eliminator as well.

And of course tie rod ends, etc. Gonna have to save my burgers and beer for another wrenching date.

BTW I went to Lowes and they had a boatload of metric sockets on sale, so I picked up all the sizes I needed in 1/2" drive. Some of them were only $2.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Looks great - congrats. At least the torch/fire danger factor is zero when you're working in the rain!