Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Lifted

Kudos to all of the committee, leaders, gunners, vendors, sponsors, etc. who put together a great event. This was my first CM, and I had a blast.

I'll echo the couple of negatives on SRCG. I've been in quite a few campgrounds, and while I understand that the dirt out there is just dusty, there were still other things that left a bit to be desired. I'd be hard pressed getting my wife and soon to be kid to come out and stay there for sure. Restocking the bathrooms would go a long way though.

The trail leadership and gunning was top notch. It was a blast to ride right in front of DougDad at the back of the pack the first two days. He was always there with tips to help my driving, and always with a really helpful spirit. I really appreciated him giving me spots via the radio as I was going over obstacles. Turns out my truck has more clearance than I thought it did

The dinner and raffle were great. Hal and I had a great time selling tickets before hand, even if we were a little bit slow at it being first timers. It was a fun way to meet a bunch of folks really quickly. I was hoping that 1650 miles was good for the iron butt, but it certainly didn't even come CLOSE to 2500

I've only had experience putting vehicles through tech for SCCA Autocross and track day type events, so tech seemed pretty laid back to me. That's more of an observation than criticism though, as it seemed everyone was pretty honest about their rigs.

Vendor night was really fun as well. For an offroading newbie it was cool to see a lot of products being demonstrated that I'd only read about online before. It became immediately apparent why the ARB valve core deflator was worth $40. It was also cool to meet the guys from Metal Tech in person after having gotten really good phone support when I purchased my suspension components from them.
Oh, and there was the free, cold, . That always goes a long way in my book .

One suggestion. As a first timer, It'd be really cool to have a "Newbie's Corner" or something like that. I would envision maybe 30 minutes for people who have only done one other event, or no other events, to get some insight from some of the veterans. There were some things I learned out on the trail that were great tips, that if I'd picked up before hand may not have delayed the group some. I don't know how some folks would perceive it though, maybe make it optional. I know I can be one to ask too many questions instead of just going and doing.

Overall, it was a wonderful trip with a couple of good friends, and it was great to meet a bunch of new people too.

-Keith

2004 UZJ100 - stockish for the time being.
Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sold - 2010 Tacoma, lifted, locked, armored

Last edited by xodeuce; 05-16-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
there were no staff XL shirts.
No shirts, or no shirts left? Pretty sure I arranged for those to be printed.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

CM Committee will elect their chair, not the RS general membership.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
No shirts, or no shirts left? Pretty sure I arranged for those to be printed.
Wednesday there were no XL shirts for staff. No one was able to find any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
CM Committee will elect their chair, not the RS general membership.
thanks for the clarification Kevin
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Final count on staff shirts were 12-M 20-L and 12-XL. They were there some where. all the boxes were marked with the count and contents. Managing the t-shirts was what I was planning to volunteer for at CM. It is easy to get this out of control, It's allot of shirts. Also getting a final total AFTER the event at the event and organizing that. Sorry I could not make it this year
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art hog View Post
Final count on staff shirts were 12-M 20-L and 12-XL. They were there some where. all the boxes were marked with the count and contents. Managing the t-shirts was what I was planning to volunteer for at CM. It is easy to get this out of control, It's allot of shirts. Also getting a final total AFTER the event at the event and organizing that. Sorry I could not make it this year

There were M, L and lots of 2XL staff shirts, no XLs
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
There were M, L and lots of 2XL staff shirts, no XLs
I had someone folding, counting and boxing for me. I will have to look in to it.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Another great CM. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.

Even though Slickrock is dirty and congested, it fits the bill for the event and having everyone close by for hanging out is nice. I stayed in a condo with my wife and daughter this year, and although it was clean and nice, I felt disconnected from the event and didn't do any socializing. I probably won't be bringing the fam again, so staying in Slickrock myself isn't so bad.

My only suggestions:

If the booklet with maps, trail meeting places and Ham/CB channels is done again, make sure the locations for the meetup are correct. I almost missed my Friday run because both the directions and the Ham channel were incorrect in the book.

I liked the tent and raffle dinner at Archway. The food was better than Bar M, and the close proximity was nice. I was just wondering why the tent sides weren't opened wide from the start. It was Hot, Dusty and loud in there.

'85 FJ60
Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I liked the tent and raffle dinner at Archway. The food was better than Bar M, and the close proximity was nice. I was just wondering why the tent sides weren't opened wide from the start. It was Hot, Dusty and loud in there.
Unfortunately the committee members were all up front doing the raffle and both sides of the tent were open upfront. Once someone mentioned it to us myself and somebody else opened the sides. When we were setting up it wasn't bad at all but stick another 200+ people under the tent and the heat rises, something learned for next year.

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

I also told myself I wouldn't camp at slickrock again because of the cotton and worm cocoons. I just sent a good hour or so cleaning them all out of my big tent. We found ourselves escaping SRCG after the runs to the area out past Fins and Things to hangout and hike around till dinner. Some of those side roads out there are quite nice.

Other than that I thought the event rocked. We will plan to camp at BFE next time or dispersed camping somewhere if I can scout it out before hand. BFE would be more social since there are always CM people camping out there.