Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 05-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Some of it definitely yes, some of it definitely no...But you can by pass the no-trailer sections.. There is some fantastic camping along this route for trailers.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sandstorm 4Rnr View Post
Some of it definitely yes, some of it definitely no...But you can by pass the no-trailer sections.. There is some fantastic camping along this route for trailers.
Thanks - I'll keep that in mind for future reference Chris.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

What was the total miles driven and how much gas would you have to tote in an FJ40 to do this run? Not all of us have those luxury wagons and roof racks
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

You probably only need 10 extra gallons. If in a group and you needed a couple more you probably would be good, if solo maybe 15 gallons just to be safe.

It is not really that remote..you have several options along the way to bail and head to Moab.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well Randy you really do not have a 40, but a buggie. How much fuel do you carry on Meanie? I know I started with a full fuel main tank with only 30 highway mile on it and carried 15 in the Aux tank. I used all but the Aux tank traveling along. Most with 80's used there mains and had some poured in at one time or the other. So most burned close to 22 gallons or more on the bigger vehicles.
I do not record the acutal miles of the trip, but the book states about 140 miles for the whole Kokopelli trip.
What was not included in the actual trip are the side we took, like Top of the World, the Delores river water crossing, and the trip on the highway and back to Onion Creek.
So I would guess I average with my truck about 8 MPG for the average of it all. I would guess when I did the scout trip, moving at a different pace, I got a better MPG, may be burned about 15 gallons.
But one needs to move at the pace the whole group can, so more fuel consumption is going to happen.
I do not know if that tells you what you want Randy, but a few of the bigger rigs may of made it on one tank if we did not go back and forth to the onion creek trail head to the Dewey bridge(about 40 miles highway on lower tire pressures). Plus going back up to the trail split the next day to back track up to the split at the top of the trail (about 5 miles all up hill on dirt and traveling slow).
Hope that helps Randy, what do you figure you get offroad in you Buggie? How big is your fuel tank in your rig?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Well Randy you really do not have a 40, but a buggie.
Don't forget we still have the Blue Mule when a less buggified vehicle is appropriate. It has the stock 16 gal (I think?) tank and a 6 gal jerry can on the tire carrier. I could probably rig up a couple more external can mounts if needed. It has the 2F, H61 4 spd and orion TC. If you can run most of the trail in high range using the granny 1st gear of the H61 the mileage will be a lot better. If it's mostly low range stuff then the 4-1 ratio of the orion becomes a factor. It has 4.88 gears and 37" IROK radials.

We drove from our house in Franktown up to the snowrun location this year, spent a lot of time churning around in the snow in low range and made it back home on the same tank of gas. Sounds like we could probably make it without too much extra effort.

The Meanie is actually just as roadable as the Mule but doesn't have much storage space in the back for tents & coolers and such.

Anyone that couldn't make it to Moab interested in doing this as a club run some time this summer before it gets too hot?
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

I usually budget 8 mpg for any off road trip that involves heavier wheeling or heavy throttle. If it is lighter wheeling and more easy going I budget 10mpg.

that's in my rig with the same v-8 meanie has.
82 FJ40
Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Robbie, have you driven White Rim in your 80? If so, how did your fuel consumption compare? I tend to get the equivalent of about 10 MPG on average, although I prefer to do my calcs in gallons per hour. It's funny, though, my truck generally gets close to the same gal/hr regardless if it's 65MPH on the highway or intermittent 4wd-low.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Robbie, have you driven White Rim in your 80? If so, how did your fuel consumption compare? I tend to get the equivalent of about 10 MPG on average, although I prefer to do my calcs in gallons per hour. It's funny, though, my truck generally gets close to the same gal/hr regardless if it's 65MPH on the highway or intermittent 4wd-low.
I rode along a fwe years ago with Robbie and another from the Trail Teams, we ended up doing the Rim in a day (a lazy day at that) but I didnt monitor his fuel

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

I do not think I burned more than a 1/2 tank or less on that trip. I only dropped into low range for going down the steep stuff, the rest was a good cruise at 25 -30 mph or more when we could.
Yes I forgot the blue mule, If you can go at a better MPH then you may be well enough off, I just would watch how much fuel you have at the different jump off points to get into Moab, Dewey bridge is the easiest. The rest are further away from Moab and fuel.