Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Wincher

As a first timer to CruiseMoab I had a blast. 2182 total miles driven were well worth it.

I agree with many of the observations of xoduece as a fellow first timer.

Starting with SRCG - found it ok. Done enough primitive camping that the facilities at camp were fine for me by myself. Loved the jacuzzi for therapy for a pulled back muscle! Found the sites themselves very, very cramped. Cottonwood was a PITA and still picking the worm pods off things as I find them, but tis the season depending on the weather. As a newbie, obviously didn't experience the area BFE last year, but I did like being close to town at SRCG.

It would have been nice having everyone at the same place to see and meet people but totally understand some wanting to camp and others in a hotel/condo. Idea of everyone on the dirt by Archway is an intriguing one.

Vendor night was extremely fun as a newbie getting to meet vendors I've dealt with over the phone, internet, etc.

Raffle and dinner were just fine. Food was good and pace of the raffle was just fine too.

As newbie, while I did find all the trailhead meeting places, the directions were sketchy not being familiar with the area, especially the missing waterpark for Metal Masher IIRC!

The idea of a newbie drivers meeting aside or in addition to the general drivers meeting is a nice idea for add'l info etc for first timers. Tech inspection was very well handled as was general check in by all the great volunteers.

Huge kudos to the committee in general and to Steve for managing the trail assignments and last minute requests for changes. You all put in a lot of work planning this event so we participants can enjoy ourselves.

Even bigger kudos to the trail bosses and tail gunners. Hugh and Kelly (tip toe behind the rocks), Neil (metal masher) and especially Robbie (kane creek) were all just exceptional. I learned so much about the truck, what it's capable of and even more about driving the obstacles from Robbie. I can't thank each of you enough for your time, patience and expertise!

A special note to Kelly on the awesome stainless steel wine glass she was imbibing from vs my little plastic cup! Must have for a camping wino! Found them online and they are on the way to SoCal!

To Ken and Rachel Romer -
Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I recommend moving HQ to Aarchway Inn's parking lot next year over SRCG. Registraiton, Tech, Vendor Night, & Raffle Dinner all in the same spot. Maybe they would let some committee members with campers set up for the duration of the event if they choose. I found working with them to be easy and they welcomed us there.

I would also do BFE again in a heartbeat but recognize its not for everyone.

SRCG - not again for me. enough said. If it were half the price maybe.

Vendor Night went of with only one hitch. Would be easier at Aarchway to organize.

I thought Nick did a great job again this year. He said he did well with concessions inside the campground. I also continue to get positive feedback from vendors who attended.

I have a few other ideas but will save them for the post CM committee meeting before posting to the public.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
...but the cottonwoods and worms does not make for a fun camping experience.
The funny thing is, one of my kid's favorite things to do at SRCG is collect the caterpillars, go figure

I didn't get to attend CM11 but I recall CM07, my first year, and being amazed at the cotton piled up like snow. Sounds like this year was a lot like that year.

We liked Area BFE a lot aside from the distance from town/runs and the damage done to the popup camper getting in/out of there.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

We were at one of the nicest condo's in town and we had just as much cotton and caterpillars as SRCG..not sure of any local town spot might be different.

Our kids loved the caterpillars, also.

No cotton in BFE, to my recollection.. The later time frame might even be more pleasant in BFE in the afternoons..but the distance is a factor.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

This was year 8 for me. Slickrock campground works the best. Yeah, its kinda dumpy, but different every ytear. When we used BFE it snowed - a lot! When we used Spanish Trails it was super hot and I could not get a spot so I way next to the highway at the KOA. When some guys stayed at a condo years ago they said they felt disconnected from the group. Sometimes it rains during CM and then the cabin is nice. This year the weather was perfect and a tent would have been great. Some years have no cotton and this year it was like the Colorado snow. BFE was a ton of work for the CM Committee. Slickrock is much easier. RS members have looked at every campground in Moab, none fit the bill better.

The bottom line is that the Slickrock Campground works. Heck, a cabin nearly burns down (next to mine) and management not only doesn't even show up, they have it already rented out the next day (though those people mysteriously only stayed one night, go figure).

I go to CM for the people, rigs and trails. I go elsewhere (and frequently) for remote camping and nice hotels.

Overall - this was a top notch CM! (even with the wrong meeting spot we found everyone for Chicken Corners using the supplied cellphone list and HAMs - well, Martin found us but his cell was off
Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm not the most social of animals, and I don't care a thing about camping, so I stay at a hotel in town. CM is all about the wheeling for me, and this was a great one. My only suggestion is clearer directions to the meeting spots. A specific address would be perfect, assuming it's one that shows up on Google maps.

For us townies, BFE is a pain in the neck. I was only in the camp one time, though, so it's not that big a deal.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 05-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
No shirts, or no shirts left? Pretty sure I arranged for those to be printed.
We never found any XL staff shirts..
KD0EXO
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
This was year 8 for me. Slickrock campground works the best. Yeah, its kinda dumpy, but different every ytear. When we used BFE it snowed - a lot! When we used Spanish Trails it was super hot and I could not get a spot so I way next to the highway at the KOA. When some guys stayed at a condo years ago they said they felt disconnected from the group. Sometimes it rains during CM and then the cabin is nice. This year the weather was perfect and a tent would have been great. Some years have no cotton and this year it was like the Colorado snow. BFE was a ton of work for the CM Committee. Slickrock is much easier. RS members have looked at every campground in Moab, none fit the bill better.

The bottom line is that the Slickrock Campground works. Heck, a cabin nearly burns down (next to mine) and management not only doesn't even show up, they have it already rented out the next day (though those people mysteriously only stayed one night, go figure).

I go to CM for the people, rigs and trails. I go elsewhere (and frequently) for remote camping and nice hotels.

Overall - this was a top notch CM! (even with the wrong meeting spot we found everyone for Chicken Corners using the supplied cellphone list and HAMs - well, Martin found us but his cell was off
I have read through the posts, and will start by saying:
- the meeting spots printed in the booklet were from 2010 when we were at Area BFE and were not correct. This will be addressed.

- The Cotton is based on the Heat. the warmer the worse it is. Some years the cotton is light, other years very heavy. Our event is normally over the first full weekend in May. Some years that puts us at the last few days of April beginning of May, or like this year on Mothers day weekend. The first few days there was almost no cotton, and then Wham!!!

- We are not the only event trying to get permits and accomadations for late April/early May. For example the Hot Rod show is generally the week before our event (a week difficult to find good accomadations for a reasonable price).. The week after ours is generally permitted to other large offroad groups. Similiar to Easter Jeep Safari, our long time permit and work with the the various agencies we must get permits from, allow us to be fortunate enough to have the week we do every year!

- SlickRock campground is not the greatest accomadations, but they are close in town, and have historically let us work on vehicles late into the night to repair them. In the past this was not the case in other campgrounds we attempted to use. I heard several campgrounds as options mentioned, but being able to repair vehicles is a critera when looking for a venue that should still be considered....

And BIG BIG KUDOS to Mr. Steve Rudy as Trail Boss with a SMILE!!! always positive and, he put in a TON of hours doing whatever he could (his Dad Rocked as well!).. Not to mention all the work he put in prior to the event!
KD0EXO
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
- We are not the only event trying to get permits and accomadations for late April/early May.
I think that time of year is perfect. If we go any later we run a greater chance of severe heat. On the other hand, April (EJS-timeframe) is generally a better weather week as Moab always seems to get some weather around the beginning of May.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Rock Stacker

This was my second Cruise Moab and I have some thoughts.

Campground:

I saw no extra effort being made by the staff from slickrock camground. THey seemed to care very little that we were there and many of the facilities were run down and in a state of disrepair. I like to spend my money in places where people make it easy for me to hand it to them and make an effort to have me be there.

The cottonwood pollen is most likely going to occur anywhere that there is shade. I appreciated the shade and dealt with the pollen. At BFE we would have had little shade and but no pollen. Every campground in Moab with shade would have had the pollen. Personally I will go to another campground with smiling staff and decent facilities.

Trails:

The best part of the weekend. Let's get the meeting places sorted out on printed material. Loved the booklet with the maps. I thought that was fantastic. We did have a trail leader who was less than enthusiastic about leading a trail and didn't seem to care if people on the trail new it. I am not interested in attending a run that he is leading in the future. He just did all that he was supposed to do. Ray as always was very enthusiastic and enjoyable to be around but also did a great job taking care of his duties.

Volunteers/volunteering:

It always comes up that there are more volunteers needed and that everything seems to fall into the arms of "the commitee". Not sure who those people are.

After 3 attempts at volunteering I finally gave up. Initially I filled out the volunteer form in the online registration, it could not be sent with registration. I printed...........scanned it.........then sent it via email. I found out later it was recieved but then got lost. I made contacts via the forum about volunteering a few times and even emailed a person who I think might have been the trail boss,......................I don't know, it was never very clear. I felt like I had something to offer based on my carreer path, and even sent a resume. I recall the post for trail leaders was moved to a different location in the "members" section. I am not a member and heard nothing further.

I have worked with volunteers for 20yrs in the outdoor recreation industry and have some ideas on how to recruit/employ/reward volunteers but will not waste forum space on that topic. I would be interested in hearing from someone if my help is needed. Overall my general impression is that if one is not a "member" or on the "committee" then, one is not needed. Right or wrong, that is the impression I got.

I will certainly attend Cruise Moab in the future. Overall I love the event and will make my own adjustments to make the experience better for me. I consider this my last effort to volunteer. I hope I hear from somebody. I would even volunteer to be the volunteer coordinator.

Thank you for every effort you make in putting on this event!! I hope to see some of you out on the trail in the future.

Doug Olson
Norwood Co.