Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Some thoughts on the subject:

I ran 1 Echo last year and had a blast. I spent more time on the air and covered more spectrum 'cuz the emphasis was on radio and less on camping but the spirit of FD was missing, it would have been a bit more interesting if I was 1 Alpha. I like operating on FD more for the volume of contacts rather than the contest aspect but I wonder if I could have had more QSO's if I was 1 Alpha. I *think* the point multiplier is higher for Alpha stations.

This year I'd like to split the difference. I don't mind pitching a tent, but having a few mod-cons would allow for more air time.

Setting up some place close to town would allow other club members a chance to come and go, for a few hours, as their weekend plans allow.

WiFi or a mobile hotspot, I used DX Sherlock last year to track propagation and was able to make some great contacts on 6 and 10 as the bands came up.

Trees, having a way to fly some wire w/o having to set up a bunch of masts would save time and frustration.

An amp would be great. I've only been able to brake a few pile-ups but I would love trying to manage one OTOH having one only creates problems powering it up.

6 and 10, there is a rule change this year to encourage more VHF stations to get on the air. Last year I made contacts on 6 as far east as TN and OH and west to OR and CA. 10 was good to TX, CA and SD. Heather had fun making contacts on 6 and 10 as her privileges allowed. I'm thinking that having 1 rig dedicated to these upper bands would allow the Tech Class members of the club a chance to exercise their privileges.

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 05-13-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Is it the real deal? Cool.
Yes, Its the real deal, with liner as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Let's nail down the place and attendees and then start an equipment list. The main concern obviously is a weatherproof operating commons area. A GP-small and my EZ-Up with tarp walls seems like a good start.

So, let's focus on location. Is camping OK? Wilderness isn't absolutely necessary, although I would like to get away from the city. I operate in town and honestly there's just so much QRM and QRN that I have a hard time getting excited about Cherry Creek SP.
As long as I don't have any issues attending, I will go anywhere within an hour of home. How about Cold springs campground? It has a good view south, east and somewhat west?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
Some thoughts on the subject:

I ran 1 Echo last year and had a blast. I spent more time on the air and covered more spectrum 'cuz the emphasis was on radio and less on camping but the spirit of FD was missing, it would have been a bit more interesting if I was 1 Alpha. I like operating on FD more for the volume of contacts rather than the contest aspect but I wonder if I could have had more QSO's if I was 1 Alpha. I *think* the point multiplier is higher for Alpha stations.

This year I'd like to split the difference. I don't mind pitching a tent, but having a few mod-cons would allow for more air time.

Setting up some place close to town would allow other club members a chance to come and go, for a few hours, as their weekend plans allow.

WiFi or a mobile hotspot, I used DX Sherlock last year to track propagation and was able to make some great contacts on 6 and 10 as the bands came up.

Trees, having a way to fly some wire w/o having to set up a bunch of masts would save time and frustration.

An amp would be great. I've only been able to brake a few pile-ups but I would love trying managing one OTOH having one only creates problems powering it up.

6 and 10, there is a rule change this year to encourage more VHF stations to get on the air. Last year I made contacts on 6 as far east as TN and OH and west to OR and CA. 10 was good to TX, CA and SD. Heather had fun making contacts on 6 and 10 as her privileges allowed. I'm thinking that having 1 rig dedicated to these upper bands would allow the Tech Class member of the club a chance to exercise their privileges.
We would have to limit our power to 5W or less to be Alpha. Unless I'm missing something.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
We would have to limit our power to 5W or less to be Alpha. Unless I'm missing something.
QRP is class A-B

From the ARRL

4.1. (Class A) Club / non-club portable: Club or a non-club group of three or more persons set up specifically for Field Day. Such stations must be located in places that are not regular station locations and must not use facilities installed for permanent station use, or use any structure installed permanently for Field Day. A single licensee or trustee for the entry is responsible for the group entry. All equipment (including antennas) must lie within a circle whose diameter does not exceed 300 meters (1000 feet). To be listed as Class A, all contacts must be made with transmitter(s) and receiver(s) operating independent of commercial power mains. Entrants whom for any reason operate a transmitter or receiver from a commercial main for one or more contacts will be listed separately as Class A-Commercial.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

My kids have a swim meet that day, but I might motor up Saturday afternoon just to watch and learn.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How about Cold springs campground? It has a good view south, east and somewhat west?
I like the location and it's close enough. The issues I have with FS CGs are; quiet hours (no gen sets or even loud talking after 2200) and you're not allowed to tie anything to trees.

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 05-13-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
I like the location and it's close enough. The issues I have with FS CGs are; quiet hours (no gen sets or even loud talking after 2200) and you're not allowed to tie anything to trees.
What about somewhere in South Park? Like near Kenosha pass, maybe on the east side? Or anywhere in the park would be good. Low noise level, good room around to shoot off the signal? Just askin...

Oh, and I knew I was missing something on the power thingy.

So if I got it right, we're Club, portable, right? I wish I could get the trailer fixed up and the tower mounted so we can use the , and string dipoles from it too.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was thinking about Kenosha, we could circumvent the CG rules by setting up the station near the overnight parking at the trail-head (out of the CG hosts jurisdiction). I checked out Cold Springs on Google Earth and it looks like if we got sites on the end of the big loop, we could move the station up into the woods for a stealthy set up. Either way, at night, we could switch to Batt and go QRP using digi or CW to minimize noise and conserve power.

I wouldn't worry about the beam, I was able to work both coasts and Canada with a crappy G5RV and 100w last year. I thinking with a 135' flat top or a couple of resonate dipoles we can cover the country.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Wincher

Default I might have access to private land...

...down in South Park.

I had a classmate this spring term who owns an off the grid cabin on Reinecker Ridge. Access to the top of the knob would put antenna base elevation at or above 10,200 feet elevation.

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontana View Post
...down in South Park.

I had a classmate this spring term who owns an off the grid cabin on Reinecker Ridge. Access to the top of the knob would put antenna base elevation at or above 10,200 feet elevation.
Ooooo.....Tell us more
Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Wincher

Default I've spoken with the land owner previously...

...about the possibility of setting this up, and just sent him an email confirming that there is interest.

I will keep you all posted.

For now, you can Google Maps or Google Earth "Reinecker Ridge North, Fairplay, CO" and this will take you to the possible site.

It is my understanding that he has an off the grid home up there, complete with a PV/battery power system. If we are lucky, we may be able to tap into this for higher point scoring for being off grid, and renewable?

I believe that he owns the top of the knob, but I don't know if we can gain vehicle access to place antenna(s) as high as possible?

Google maps puts this site at 73 miles from my house in Wheat Ridge. Pretty convenient access if this all works out.

Cheers and 73's.

David

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)