Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog View Post
Partial hijack! Any suggestions for good car/family camping spots
within an hour or 2 drive from Boulder? RMNP is great but often
booked way in advance. I've yet to find a great car-accessible site
in the Indian Peaks - but I know there are some there somewhere.

-Phrog
...A little further than 2 hours, but...
In Colorado State Park State Forest (not far south of Walden) there are several yurts for rent - Google Never Summer Nordic. You are still roughing it in the yurt, sort of. Most are car accessible, but the whole park ranges from dirt roads to logging trail. One of the best things is each yurt sits on it's own "property" within the park, so you won't have to worry about getting late day neighbors. I'm sure you can tent camp as well. There is a reservoir, hiking, etc.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Right now we have a wheelin' rig and a station wagon
Hey now, the 40 doesn't really qualify as a station wagon, thats pretty low man...

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Are you ready for a pop up trailer? I never was but my wife loves it. We camped all weekend. Went inside and drank hot chocolate while it rained. Rent one for the weekend next time you bring the family. My wife went from not liking camping to suggesting we go almost every weekend all summer once we got the camper. You can rent them for about $100 per night. We've had ours for almost 3 years and it's averaged out to about that amount. But, priceless in my mind for the family time spent together.
On a more serious note, I'm mildly curious about this.

For those who have stayed in both a pop up and a tent, what are the differences? I mean, yes, you can stand up in a pop up, but you can also get a large tent, and stand up in there. Most pop ups I've seen, excepting chalet, and that other brand, have tent sides. Are they truly that much more comfy?

I'd like my dad to get a pop up (Chalet) most likely, for hunting, because sleeping on the ground in -10 to -20 F is miserable as is cooking in the dark, and cold.

But, for summer time camping, I'd be curious if one is more comfy than the other.

In addition, how robust are those pop ups Farnham? Something you could haul over webster or mosquito pass?

Thankfully, my will have to deal with tent camping as I doubt we'll ever be able to afford one of those trailers. But, I'm always curious.

Generation Dead
Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew, this is all you:

Here's a bit more mild with a 3" lift.

Guys apparently put these on 305's pretty regularly. You can get a 305/70 17 in the kevlars, they list em at 34.1... Gear that beast down, electric locker in the rear, and that puppy will wheel, and tow the trailer, while looking pretty mean.

Only crappy part, it'll run you about 60 to 70 bucks more a tire for the 305's than for your 35's on the 40. Coming in on Tire rack at 311 per.

Generation Dead
Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Isaac for just me camping, I'd rather deal with a tent. But add on the wife and/or kids and it's popup all the way. Very comfortable, also nice you can leave most of your stuff packed all the time, so don't need to fill the back of the truck so much. The heat is nice, a door that opens normally rather than zipping something, not having to crouch down ever.. being able to sit inside, cook inside, if you're so inclined listen to music, watch movies.. mine's got a microwave that will run off my inverter, multiple 12v outlets, everything we need.

OTOH, the adventure style trailers don't do much for our situation- life is still outside, you're cooking, cleaning, sitting, doing everything outside.. if the weather's bad it's more work to zip on more walls. Again if it were just the 2 of us I'd probably change my tune, as they have some other cool benefits. But IMO being able to set it up, then get inside and shut the door is ideal for the family with little ones. At CM10 was a great success story- all the kids camping in popups at BFE, low 20's every night... best vacation ever for them. Our daughter was 15 mos. old, she slept all night every night, heck I was scraping the windshield in the morning. Meanwhile other families in tents were bailing for town to find a hotel.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'll second everything Nakman says

IMO the biggest negative about a popup camper is getting into back areas (I damaged mine a bit getting out of Area BFE at CM10) and the weight. Our rule is if the trip is less than a few days we leave the camper at home. If the LX was turbo or supercharged I'd probably feel different about the rule though

Sure, it may not be "real" camping but when it comes to making the family comfy so they enjoy the trip if is great
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Hey now, the 40 doesn't really qualify as a station wagon, thats pretty low man...
You got me fired up for a second, until I realized you were yankin' my chain.

Anymore info on that big Sequoia?

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great info on the pop ups!

Now I just need my old man to get one, then I can "borrow" it

Of course I'm yanking your chain Drew! Although, on the other hand, how sick would that be?

That sequoia is over on mud, in the newer toyota trucks section.

Generation Dead
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Best part about the Pop up is, the worse the weather the better the experience. No wet sleeping bag, no deflated air mattress, no rolling up a tent covered in mud and pine needles. My wife and I both agree we sleep better in the camper than at home. As far as where you can take them, you can drag them into a lot more than you might think. Fast washboard driving takes the greatest toll on the camper. I've replaced a good amount of staples with screws. Our "expeditions" generally are experiences like BFE. Mostly we find a spot in the NF set up camp, then go explore for the day. Would I drive though the African outback with a pop up? no, but I can get to most places in CO without an issue. I'll loan out my Pop-up, no Dogs allowed, PM me.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Adams Falls .5 mile hike lots of wild life. East inlet.
Fall river road if it is open.

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60