Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Rising Sun member

thank you Nathaniel, that's good to know! I had a QSO with a fella out in Blanding on the way to the overnight run last year (although we got in touch through the repeater, not simplex), and it's good to know the proper way of doing this!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Lifted

Thanks, great info/reminders for newbies like me! Is there a repeater you guys hang out on or a net you guys check into? I jumped on the Colo Connection repeater on 145.130 (KB0VJJ) on Thursday at 1930 where they hold a weekly one.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveIT View Post
Thanks, great info/reminders for newbies like me! Is there a repeater you guys hang out on or a net you guys check into? I jumped on the Colo Connection repeater on 145.130 (KB0VJJ) on Thursday at 1930 where they hold a weekly one.
The truck radio generally sits on 2-of-these-3: 147.225, 145.310 or 146.460. The 147.225 repeater is pretty active during commutes, so if nothing's happen on 145.310/146.460, I usually go to 145.310/147.225. I heard you on the Thursday night central Colorado NTS net, but the net was just closing when I tuned in. A lot of check-ins, 27 I think, so didn't think he'd need any more. :-)

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

BTW, I should note that the 147.225 is linked to 145.460 in Boulder and once again to 145.160 in the Springs. The 145.310 is the Denver CCR machine.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default similar to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The truck radio generally sits on 2-of-these-3: 147.225, 145.310 or 146.460. The 147.225 repeater is pretty active during commutes, so if nothing's happen on 145.310/146.460, I usually go to 145.310/147.225. I heard you on the Thursday night central Colorado NTS net, but the net was just closing when I tuned in. A lot of check-ins, 27 I think, so didn't think he'd need any more. :-)
I have the same habits...and will randomly check out 145.280, 145.145 (another CRA) and 145.430 and when around home the boulder repeaters. However, where I am in louisville, I hit the .225 repeater better than the 145.460 repeater.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Lifted

Few questions...

1) I've been monitoring 145.130 a bit and noticed many folks don't say their call phonetically when the check in and say "listening." It's hard for me to understand them a lot of times. What's the proper way to ask them to repeat it phonetically?

2) I jumped on 147.225 this morning and it sounded like a newscast playing (some kind of amateur radio news)...I thought broadcasting stuff wasn't allowed.

3) When someone says clear does that usually indicate they are hopping off the freq or are they just done xmitting?

I'll get the lingo down eventually...just trying to listen as much as I can for now.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Commander

1. Just ask! completely appropriate to say "Hey this is K0NAK, didn't quite catch the call can you repeat that please?"

2. Some nets almost sound broadcast, but it's just dudes on the radio.. you could still break in technically. I've heard that one too, with the for sale section towards the end?

3. Usually means they're hopping off.. if sticking around but just done transmitting I'd usually say "monitoring," or to really geek out I'd say "K0NAK clear, but continuing to monitor."

and here's some CB etiquette for you to brush up on..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
2. Some nets almost sound broadcast, but it's just dudes on the radio.. you could still break in technically. I've heard that one too, with the for sale section towards the end?
He's talking about the CRA retransmitting the Amateur News Line in the middle of their Sunday morning club net. They do a swap meet I think at the end and club messages before.

http://www.arnewsline.org/

This is not really a broadcast, but a retransmission. It's absolutely correct that broadcasting is not allowed, which is the origination of a signal that you have no expectation of reply. Technically an APRS beacon is marginal IMHO, but it's a convention that it's an OK exception.

In this case the repeater is retransmitting a message and is a special case, like Space Shuttle audio (was) or official messages. Also with the repeater you can talk over the News Line and NASA audio, it does not cause the repeater to stop being a ham repeater.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Lifted

Thanks guy...I feel like such a n00b. I hate that, but I gotta start somewhere!

So with simplex are there CTSS/PL codes or is that just a repeater thing?

Thanks & yee haw sumbitch pile of monkey nuts!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveIT View Post
Thanks guy...I feel like such a n00b. I hate that, but I gotta start somewhere!

So with simplex are there CTSS/PL codes or is that just a repeater thing?

Thanks & yee haw sumbitch pile of monkey nuts!
You can use tones with simplex if you wish, but remember that it does not keep the communication private just that the radios with tones on will only open their squelch with the right tone. Everyone on the frequency will hear you TX if they don't use sub tones.

Repeaters use them to keep from getting spurious signals and interference, they reject everything without the right sub tone and most of them also add a sub tone so that you can do the same on your radio if interference is a problem.

BTW, it is against FCC rules to use something that obscures your signal, e.g. coded messages. You can encode messages for efficiency, e.g. spread spectrum, JT65, PSK31. These are open, clearly decoded and non-cipher. There is an exception to this, that being signal sent to an amateur satellite, which may be a cipher in nature so that control commands are not intercepted, which would be bad if an unapproved station could take control of a space vehicle.

What I think you are looking for is FCC rules, Part 97.113 and 97.211.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...t_1&id=amateur