Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Well for some reason pics on my phone aren't syncing. Probably because I have been badmouthing Google because of their support to greenies....

Here are pics from Sunday that are all above Lake Como.
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

...more from the top, above timberline in the Blue Lakes area. (After Jaws 4)
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

The trip down and back was pretty uneventful. Once we pulled off Hwy 150 to the Lake Como Road (Blanca trail) the fun began. the sand at the parking area was deep! I nearly got stuck even with my truck in 4wd just pulling the Cruiser on the trailer. Trevor (CLC) did get his 2WD tow rig stuck until he unloaded his 40 then he was able to get free and get parked. Like little kids we had a lot of fun in the trail rigs in the deep sand and the long sandy road to the mountain. It was very hot in the San Luis Valley and all three of us were eager to get up to higher altitude! I developed a power steering leak early up the first hill. An o-ring blew out on the PSC pump. We could see the tow rigs and trailers from where we had pulled over to fix it but they were so tiny already that noone wanted to drive back to my truck to get my o-ring cashe. We pondered many differant repairs and one by one they were rejected knowing full well that the heat and high pressure would win. Trevor came over to me with a high quality surgical glove and we all laughed at first but after checking the finger sizes it appeared the pinky was close to the same size as the OD of the damaged o-ring. I cut a 1/4" ish wide band and slid it over the fitting and o-ring. Carefully the fitting was put in the port so the thin glove piece wouldn't just bunch up. Fingers crossed and very little faith we started the Cruiser and OMG....it didn't leak! We should have headed to my truck below at that point and get my o-ring kit but instead we went on up....it held the whole time with only a minor drip or two! When we finally got to Blanca mountain and the Jaws obsticals the trip was easy! Jaws 1 barely slowed us down. Jaws 2 we had to wait for some "Gods gift to the 4x4 trail" J**p guys to come down. It really sucks that a-holes like that still exist! We headed up 2 with no problem. Jaws 2.5 was the nastiest I have ever seen but we glided across it drooling over each others serious articulation (really that was freaking cool to see!). Jaws 3 was it's usual and we all took the farthest left line that did find each one of us searching for traction but up we went. The rest of the shelf road to the lake was challenging only because you wanted to take in the beautiful scenery but had to pay attention as its quite narrow in several places. Lake Como was more gorgeous than I remember. Absolutely breathtaking!!!! Ben (War Pig 55) and I stopped to chat with Jeff, a very nice guy driving an ultra uber rare Emerald Green Collecters Edition 80 who was camping there with his wife and another couple. Trevor scouted around for a camp site and yelled at us from across the lake when he found our evening paradise nook. The wind was on and off and from the north so it was quite chilly at 11,740 feet above sea level! We very quickly set up camp, wolfed down the monster burritoes I had heating on my engine drank multiple malted beverages and simply just really enjoyed being cold! The wind died down over night and the lake was a mirror in the morning! Fish were jumping everywhere! I was the only one with a fishing pole and gear so I felt it was my duty to catch breakfast. On night crawlers I probably caught and tossed back in 12-15 rainbows and cutthroat trout that were 5-6" long. Fun but just not worth the effort. Finally I found a hole and between the worms and a 1/4oz blue Castmaster lure I landed 5 beautiful medium sized cutthroats......mmmmmmm breakfast is served! We very slowly packed up and drove on up Jaws 4 and to the end of the trail at the bigger of the Blue Lakes. It was Marmot City up there and those little guys made sure we knew they didn't like visitors! The drive down was fun and uneventful. We did encounter some cool Jeep guys that had a brake line issue. Trevor offered our help and they were grateful but already had the issue nearly taken care of. More silliness in the sand at the bottom and we loaded up and hit the blacktop north. Fantastic trip! Wish I could have stayed at Lake Como for a week!
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 08-16-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Trail Ready

Hi Rez Request! - Trevor@crawlorado.com

Great Trip indeed, Mt Blanca is the Holy Grail of Colorado Trails!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great pic's!! Glad you had a good trip!! Want to go up again, late September??

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Funny writeup! Nice fish too. That 55 looks pretty burly; did it have any clearance issues? That picture of the pig and the one preceding it give a real sense of the trail. I've walked it but I'd sure like to see some wagons go up it just to have a sense.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Administrator

wow! that looks like a kickass trail/trip!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Can you post a pic of the kastmaster lure you were using?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great write up UB!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccumber View Post
Funny writeup! Nice fish too. That 55 looks pretty burly; did it have any clearance issues? That picture of the pig and the one preceding it give a real sense of the trail. I've walked it but I'd sure like to see some wagons go up it just to have a sense.
Paul, I would take my 80 up in a heart beat! Jaws 3 is by-passable but I think an 80 would go up the right line just fine! That 55 is plenty capable! He did have worn AT's on it for the road trip but the War Pig will amaze all who see!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior