Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Default akingf5371's New '82 FJ40, emission help and other advice needed

Due to a few suggestions about starting my own thread to catalog the advice and organize the responses I went ahead and did it.

I recently purchased and '82 FJ40 from California. I am the 3rd owner. Here is the quick rundown. 80k+ miles, no rust and is in pretty good shape. The 1st owner removed the stock carb, air cleaner and all emissions parts. The 2nd owner added a Currie rear end (3:25), a leaf from the rear springs, and disconnected the front drive shaft. I bought it for $16k, which he included the old axle (3:73) the front drive shaft and a lot of things he had from owning it.
Here are a few pictures:

My biggest concern is that I have just moved to Denver and now I have to go through the emissions testing and repair the previous "improvements" Thanks to a few helpful forum members I am being steered in the correct direction. Here is the list of what I need so far. (props to subzali)
-Carb
-Air pump
-Air Rail
-Air Bypass Valve (ABV)
-High Altitude Compensation (HAC) valve
-Vacuum Control Valves (VCVs)
-Vacuum Switching Valves (VSVs)
-2 Bimetal VSVs (BVSVs)
-Vacuum Transfer Valve(s) (VTV)
-Charcoal Canister
-EGR Cooler
-EGR Valve
I also am planning on installing the old rear end, but I don't have the tools to do so (still waiting on my stuff to arrive from AR) Any help or advice on that would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

also cant use tires bigger than 33's
just a FYI
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Rising Sun member

I guess that leads to another question - in 1982 was there a difference between California emissions required equipment and Federal emissions required equipment? I don't think so, I think they consolidated it all by then, but maybe someone knows for sure?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 08-31-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: I'm a dufus
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
also cant use tires bigger than 33's
just a FYI
Timztoy is right...didn't realize 81 was the cutoff.
1984 to 1982 dyne test - 1981 & older tail-pipe test - 1975 & older no test
All dyne tests require 33s or smaller because their equipment can't handle larger tires. Keep in mind the dyne tests were created to test your vehicle under real world conditions so changing to a smaller tire kind of defeats their logic.

Call the Toyota document folks and request the emissions manual for your year. The book covers both Federal and California emissions. Lots of diagrams and pictures.

Toyota Publications @ (800) 622-2033

40 & 60 Series Emissions Manual - 8/80-8/87
Name:  223-06-81-big.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  25.5 KB

-Carb My dad has part of one you could probably rebuild.
-Air pump - I have a core you can use when you buy a new one
-Air Rail - I have one
-Air Bypass Valve (ABV) - I think this is the Anti Backfire Valve and I have one

Not sure on these but if they are still on the engines I have...
-High Altitude Compensation (HAC) valve
-Vacuum Control Valves (VCVs)
-Vacuum Switching Valves (VSVs)
-2 Bimetal VSVs (BVSVs)
-Vacuum Transfer Valve(s) (VTV)

-Charcoal Canister - I have one
-EGR Cooler - I have one
-EGR Valve - I have one

You also mentioned on the other thread you have headers. There are CARB compliant headers or I have the exhaust manifold you need.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 08-31-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice rig, looks awesome!

Man, I'd say take a look at my 40 or a stock 60 and get a visual on what you need with somebody that can point stuff out (you may have some of the things listed already) Then head over to mike's to pick through his stuff first. I bet after that you'll be a lot closer than you think. It'll be nice to have it back to factory anyways seeing as it is such a perfect looking truck.

BTW also looks like you need the manifold for the vacuum lines that bolts to the top of the intake manifold.
82 FJ40
Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Are you trying to restore this to full OEM condition or are you adding all of this stuff simply to pass emissions?

If the latter, I would first take it to one of the service centers that can tune your rig to pass and just have them do a basic test on it to see if it passes the emissions part. If it can be tuned to pass, I would go ahead and take it in for a test. The worse that can happen is they fail it on visual inspection and you can move ahead with getting your list of parts.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a .pdf of that manual I can try to dig up. PM Me your email if you'd like it.

Randy also has a good point, you may get lucky and slip through.
82 FJ40
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I have a .pdf of that manual I can try to dig up. PM Me your email if you'd like it.

Randy also has a good point, you may get lucky and slip through.
http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php?dcid=15

There is a torrent on page one in the link above

Name: 2F Engine Emission Control System - 1981
Description: Information on the emissions control system for the 2F engine
Licence: OS types:
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

good thing you dont live in Weld county. darn rookies.....
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCreeper View Post
good thing you dont live in Weld county. darn rookies.....
"The Enhanced Vehicle Emissions testing program expanded from the Denver area to parts of Larimer and Weld Counties in late 2010, to control ground-level ozone. The Air Pollution Control Division made the following presentation during the public hearing that provides the regulatory and scientific basis for expanding the program to the north Front Range.

Why is the emissions program coming back now? As a single geographic "basin," the entire Northern Front Range and Denver area suffers from elevated levels of ground-level ozone air pollution. Ozone is a respiratory health hazard, formed in the atmosphere by emissions from vehicles, industry and oil and gas production. These emissions and the ozone they form are transported widely across this geographic area. Industry and the oil and gas businesses have made significant investments in emissions controls in recent years. This vehicle emissions testing program has been in place in the Denver area since 1995. Now it is time for individual vehicles in Larimer and Weld counties to contribute to emissions reductions."
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133