Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Jenny Creek Work Day 2011

I want to start this post by saying thanks to the folks that were able to make it up to Jenny Creek/Rollins Pass today. Also, Extra thanks to Kevin for helping scope it out and helping get this all organized with the Forest Service, I couldn't have done this without your help. I am proud to be a part of this club, it was great to be able to help out the Forest Service by taking care of our adopt a road and see the enthusiasm our members had for helping out. We had a great group of folks and really managed to get a lot done.

We got up to the Kiosk at about 9am and were greeted with a beautiful morning in the mountains, the weather was absolutely stellar. After a bit of chatting and strategizing we split up into a few groups. Steve and Kevin took the rangers down to the illegal routes just east of Yankee Doodle and the rest of us worked around the top fixing posts and tightening cable. At around noon we all met back up near the top and ate some lunch at the Kiosk. Kevin, Steve, and the Rangers were able to put up some carsonite and T posts to block off the illegal routes and drug logs to block off other spurs. The post and cable group righted several posts and tightened all the cable up. We also were able to pick up some trash around the lake campsites.

After Lunch we split up again, with Kevin, Steve, Trey, and the Rangers doing Jenny Creek bottom up, and the rest of the group did it top down. We picked up trash (Steve scored a new windshield), drained a bog, explored the lower section of Jenny Creek. I think the Rangers enjoyed doing Jenny Creek in the built rigs. I know I would have

Jenny Creek was in a bit better shape than I thought it might be in, and it was great to get the rangers out on it. I think having them see it first hand really helps them understand what work needs to be done in the future. The ruts that were pretty bad earlier in the season where a bit better now due to the fact that they dried up a bit, and the section of road that is bypassing the off camber tree is now just in the creek. The work to reroute the creek and do some drainage that Kevin et al did a few weeks ago worked and things looked good. The next plan for Jenny Creek is for BRD to work on the reroute. Not sure what that will entail, but it isn't going to happen for a while.

Overall it was really really a nice day up there. It was the first place I went to explore when I moved to Colorado, and it still has a special place in my heart. Give the area a few weeks and I think we are going to see some nice colors up there. If you haven't gotten up there, you should take some time to make it up there and explore.
Attached Images

82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 09-10-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

a few more shots..
Attached Images

82 FJ40
Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Had a great day, thank you Marco for coordinating this effort. Overall the area looks great thanks to the great work over the years from everyone who has pitched in.

I have to tell you I am sore this morning from driving Rollins Pass road at a swift pace all day.......thanks for racing with me UB.

______
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had fun - thanks everyone. The trail looked pretty good today, particularly because a lot of the runoff had dried up and the ruts and muddy areas were pretty dry. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like early next summer - I think there are some areas on the lower portion of the trail to keep our eye on.
But the upper portion couldn't be in better condition (minus one set of ATV tracks) - the post and cable is holding up well and the flowers in the meadows are thick.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Had a great day, thank you Marco for coordinating this effort. Overall the area looks great thanks to the great work over the years from everyone who has pitched in.

I have to tell you I am sore this morning from driving Rollins Pass road at a swift pace all day.......thanks for racing with me UB.
My pleasure! BTW....the rear of my skid plate was really loose too!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Good times.

The easiest way to straighten the pole was with the winch!
Name:  jenny 1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  160.7 KB

Marco making a mess.
Name:  jenny 3.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  155.3 KB

Lunch time at the Kiosk...
Name:  jenny 2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  152.5 KB

Name:  jenny 4.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  151.3 KB

And just in case anyone ever accuses that pretty 40 of not doing anything...
Name:  jenny 5.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  121.6 KB

Funny thing though, I drove back to pick up some parts from the Boulder area, stopped for a while there, and when I got back in the truck, it was making a TERRIBLE noise. As in, drivetrain gnashing and grinding. When the power was applied it didn't do it, nor did it do it in reverse. I did stop, put the T-case into neutral, and ran through the gears, which was all fine. So I debated getting it towed in case I was doing damage, but decided that since with a little throttle it was smooth and quiet to limp it back to my sister's house and garage.

This morning I drained a bunch of gear oil, and found nothing bad in the T-case, so I decided to jack up the rear, and pull the driveshaft to spin the axle all by itself. Somehow the pinon nut came loose (more than 1/4" play). That would explain the noise... Tomorrow I'll see if I can get a new inspection cover gasket, so that I can pull the inspection cover to see if there was any damage in there. I sure hope not. I'm going to blame the lower section of the road for rattling the pinon nut loose though.

Dan
Old 09-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Great job guys. The area looks great as always.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Awesome work!

Wish I could have helped out. Hopefully next time.
KDGWM