Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Proper rebuild with new pistons etc etc is way more than double.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

I gotta side with christo here. either get a different truck, and swap over items, or build the motor correctly. Emotions are tough in these situations. a proper rebuild, from short block, could be 4k all said and done.

My thought is to find a cream puff 97, and start over. you have way too much invested in ancillary items that you could never get your investment back from, but I feel and think you would be better off with a better condition truck to rebuild from.

john (johnny) henley
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Put me in the agree with Christo camp.

I did the whole engine thing, which in the case of a 19 year old Hilux almost doubled what I'd spent on it. So 'upside-down' is sorta relative when the $5K, 90K-old used truck you bought gives you as the second owner another decade and 97K of service. I didn't mind spending the money I'd saved just driving it, in other words.

However, knowing now what I wish I did 5 years ago, I would have done a minimalist rebuild.

These are service and utility trucks, they're not gonna see Concours d'Elegance or collector auctions. Keep 'em running and reliable, no more, no less. I would in your situation just clean it up and put in a HG. I might refresh the head, but that depends on the shape it's in (mine needed it regardless that the timing chain let loose). I would rebuild the short block only if the rings had stopped sealing altogether or it was warped.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Wincher

I bought my cruiser for 1600 and have 2500 into it now. I'm glad I'm keeping a spreadsheet. I know how things add up, and fast. 4k seems like a high number but if that 4k takes the engine to another 200k miles is it worth it? I'd think so but that is a really tough spot. My rig is a beater and I was seriously considering it. I'm glad I just gasket slapped it and replaced heater hoses.

I would try doing the hg replacement and see how long it lasts. The reality is it could last 10 minutes or 10 years. Worth the gamble? I think so.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

$4k is a low lumber. Shorblock is $3200 +- from the dealer, add to that the rest, oil pump etc etc, head rebuild and you are looking at a drive in, drive out rebuild of $6-$7k easily. We are rebuilding the motors, have them on the shelf. Both long blocks and short blocks and heads. I am finalizing pricing on them, but it is not cheap.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
$4k is a low lumber. Shorblock is $3200 +- from the dealer, add to that the rest, oil pump etc etc, head rebuild and you are looking at a drive in, drive out rebuild of $6-$7k easily. We are rebuilding the motors, have them on the shelf. Both long blocks and short blocks and heads. I am finalizing pricing on them, but it is not cheap.
When you have pricing figured out please let us know.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Christo is spot on with the price range. Then one has to consider the other 17 year old parts. I have already replaced most things, except the radiator, and if I keep this rig then I do need to replace the radiator.

A creampuff 97 would be great. Anyone have one CHEEP?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Trail Ready

That was the advice I got from everyone when I was looking to just 'fix' my rig. When things are old, sometimes fixing one thing just pushes poop down the chain of weak links... Maybe the HG was just the weakest in a series of weak things... Only one way to find out.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

you're probably going to spend $7-8k on a new rig, which would be more than a complete rebuild (there's a thread on mud listing pricing) if you do it yourself. i have a spare engine that someday i may build. i'm expecting 4k.

if you plan on having an 80 long term and your rig is where you want to be and has a good frame/body, i'd
a) get a daily driver and when you have the money, complete rebuild on the motor
b) quicky head job and start stashing money for the rebuild.

if you don't see yourself in your 80, then buy another vehicle. keep in mind that you know what your rig needs, you won't know what another used rig needs. you may buy a $7k rig now and have to drop a grand when something goes wrong.

i don't have intentions of my 80 being my daily driver forever, the body and frame are rusted crap, but i plan on another 80 of the same vintage, so anything i do it can be transferred to my next rig.
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Maybe I'm naive, or maybe a 1fz is just way more costly than 2f, but my rebuild cost about 2k. 1450 to Gunn for the bottom end (pistons were OK or that would have added about 350), 200 to Gunn for the top end, 250 for the full toyota gasket kit, 100 for shop supplies and such. Of course the labor was all me, Ricardo, and a wee bit of Randy, but it was really fun and came out great. Took about eight days over the course of a month.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"