Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Rising Sun member

Default 2011 Argentine Pass cleanup run 3

It was a great day yesterday! My Internet is dead so i'll post up more later. From my iphone
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Rising Sun member

Okay, my home internet is still dead (maybe the modem ), but...

Friday was a fantastic day. We met up at 8:30 and got rollin'. It was myself, Dan, Brant, and Frank Young from the Clear Creek County Open Space and Historic District Public Lands Commission (HDPLC). Trash was very light (as it should be since we were just there this past Sunday), and we cruised to the first connecting road, where a carsonite had been shot up and needed some help. Fixed that up quickly and moved up the lower (wagon) road. We were interested in getting up to 248.1D and the CCCOS land at the end of it, where there was ATV abuse on the tundra. Because it's CCCOS land, the FS cannot mark it with any signage without their permission. So I was glad Frank was there. We drove some carsonite, placed some CCCOS stickers on it, and things were looking good. We drove back down to the second connecting road (248.1P) and had lunch.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Rising Sun member

more...
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Rising Sun member

more2
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Rising Sun member

more3

"What better place to spend a "working" Friday"
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio

Last edited by subzali; 10-03-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Rising Sun member

I apologize these are coming out so fuzzy - I need to try a different resizing function...

During lunch, and at other points along the way, we had good discussions about the history of the area, and Frank pointed out some of the buildings and roads and told us the history of them. I think I'm going to invite him on our future runs, because he's a great wealth of local history knowledge and was great to have along to learn from.

After lunch, we went up to Waldorf and McClellan to check out a report of a rolled Blazer. We tried looking for the Santiago Mine for a minute, but I got confused (as I usually do when it's been a while since I have been up there), and we ended up giving up on that effort, because time was getting short (as it always does, too soon ). As we were driving up the old railroad grade to the top of McClellan, we got passed by a guy on a dirtbike that was heading the same place we were, and turned out to be a local wrecker operator that has pulled people out of that area before. When we got to the saddle between McClellan and Ganley mountains, we parked the trucks to walk the shelf road on the I-70 side, as it's very narrow, even for a 40. As we walked down, Brant pointed out an ATV that had rolled down a gulley, probably 1/4 mile down, that might present a rescue opportunity at a future date. We then came around a corner and looked down (having caught up to the dirtbiker), and sure enough there was a freshly rolled and decimated Blazer, that was so bad I thought it was a Jeep JK at first. There had been a snowdrift on the shelf road right in the gulley, and somehow they got it stuck and weren't able to successfully recover it. Apparently nobody got hurt, but the vehicle is probably 1000 feet or more down in that gulley, with parts scattered all over the place. Brant is investigating whether it's on FS land or private land, and will have to deal with the appropriate agencies once that determination is made.

After that I had to get back to Denver so we booked it down and headed home. We didn't get everything done that I wanted to get done, but we did get some big, important things done. I think I'm going to have to go up there on my dirtbike one of these days and check out all the roads and numberings, because I still get confused once in a while, and I don't think anyone has really compared the MVUM against what's on the ground up there yet, and that's an exercise that's definitely in need of being done.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Looks real good Matt, glad you were able to get that carsonite planted and you found some future projects for us!

1997 T100 4x4
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Club Treasurer

Nice report Matt. Thanks for putting this run together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I think I'm going to have to go up there on my dirtbike one of these days and check out all the roads and numberings, because I still get confused once in a while, and I don't think anyone has really compared the MVUM against what's on the ground up there yet, and that's an exercise that's definitely in need of being done.
I agree. It would be nice to get the whole area covered in a day, but there are so many spurs it makes it difficult in a truck. I would be interested in coming along on my dirtbike when you do this. Let me know if you want some company.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
90 Honda XR600R
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great job guys!

Interesting that the land up 248.1D is CCCOS, I didn't know that. I wonder what that could mean for the future of the area.

Did you happen to ask Brant why 248.1U and 248.1V are no longer listed separately on the MVUM?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun member

Martin, we had very long discussions about private land, the MVUM, etc. I will try to post up some more info in the Land Use planning section about it, but I don't know if I'll remember all of it.
Rising Sun Bio