Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 10-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Did great today. On the way to work QSO on 10M with West England (4-7) and Pueto Rico (5-9)

About 5 -9. 5 is strength and 9 is clarity. Right?
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
There's an opening right now (9OCT2011 2135Z) to a repeater at 29.620MHz, KQ2H, in Sullivan County, New York.
Dave, how do I work a 10M repeater?
Same as 2M?

I would like to give it a try.

Also I heard 5-9 Colorado station on 10M straight but he was answering to a CQ and I didn't want to interfere.

I wonder if this happen, how I can reach out to the CO station even if it is not my QSO.
KD2KDK
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 AM

There is a SOTA activation by WG0AT7 today UTC 17:00 from around Colorado Spring on 14.3425, 21.270, 28.400 and 144.52.

I don't know when he will be on 10M.

Since my LX450 has the 10M hamstick on it, I will be on 28.400. If anyone wants to give it a try, I may hear you. It will be 1pm here in NY so I will be on my lunch hour, so can't do it for too long.
KD2KDK
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Trail Ready

Default The R-S-T System

When you receive (or give) a 5-9 report, the first number indicates readability, the second number indicates signal strength. Readability ranges from 1, unreadable, to 2, barely readable, to 3, readable with considerable difficulty, to 4, readable with practically no difficulty, to a 5, perfectly readable. The second number, signal strength, is the S meter reading from your transceiver. A 5-9 signal report is a respectable report. A stronger report would be given or received if your S meter reads over S-9. On the air, we would say "Your signal report is 5-9 plus 10."

I'll listen for you on 28.400 at 1700Z (1:00PM Eastern Time). If we do make contact, be prepared to QSY. One of the most popular contests is about to begin and the bands are very crowded and will be so until Sunday evening.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks Bruce. Just looked up QSY so I know what you mean :-)
KD2KDK
Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Bruce,
Why do you have two call signs?

Given your explanation the call from England was 4 - 6

I live on a ridge, and I work in the Hudson Valley. So as I drive a long the ridge I get one kind of report, and as I decend into the valley the report may change in the same QSO. Which makes it tricky to give a signal report as I am driving.

Another thing is that as I am talking to England, I can here them well 5-9 or 4-6 and then I may loose them for a 2 to 4 second. So it is not steady 4-6. will flactuate 4-6 to 2-3.

Lastly driving around in Land Cruiser makes it an ultimate QSO for me. Meaning, I am in a vehicle that can drive anywere and QSO everywhere. Now, how cool is that!
KD2KDK
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Trail Ready

Congrats on the two QSO's, the UK (G) and Puerto Rico (KP4), by the way.

Regarding a schedule today on 28.400, you call me. If that frequency is busy and you have to QSY, stay close to 28.400, say 28.395-28.405.

Don't forget your radio manners, too. Before making your call, ask if the frequency is busy. You would say, "QRZed, is this frequency busy?" Then listen. Then repeat, then listen. If nothing is heard, then call me three times then give your call. Then listen. Then repeat until we connect.

See you later.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Got it. I will be calling you.
KD2KDK
Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Trail Ready

Why two call signs? Back in the '80's, I got a reciprocal call sign while visiting the Cayman Islands, ZF. I've held on to that call over the years so I can operate there any time I visit.

OK on changing signal strength as you drive high on the ridge or down in the valley. Remember, the better antenna is one with the most aluminum up as high as you can get it. Your signal reports are going to be best when you and your LC are on the ridge. That rule holds true with 2 meters and CB, too.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Bruce,
Why do you have two call signs?
Bruce has a callsign from another country, in this case the Cayman Islands. Our FCC has reciprocity agreements with many other countries' radio spectrum management bodies. If you were to travel to these countries and want to operate you get a callsign to use there. The actual process varies depending on the type of agreement. The exception to this is Canada, you have automatic equivalent privileges and just use your US callsign followed by stroke-VE3 (/VE3). All others you have to get a local callsign.
Quote:
Another thing is that as I am talking to England, I can here them well 5-9 or 4-6 and then I may loose them for a 2 to 4 second. So it is not steady 4-6. will flactuate 4-6 to 2-3.
RST (just R and S for phone) is largely subjective. Obviously readability for one person is different than another.

The strength to me is also relative because all S-meters are not calibrated and the level is very affected by the receiving station. For example running with your RX pre-amp adds a couple of S-units to the indicated strength or using a beam instead of a vertical will push a stronger strength down the feedline to your radio. Two identical radios and antennas can get different signal strength based on feedline type (coax or twinlead) and quality even.

If the signal is very strong, S9 and higher, it will usually not matter if the pre-amp is on or off, the radio's AGC will roll back to compensate for the added gain. So pre-amp on/off really only affects mid scale. The +whatever is number of decibels over S9, so S9+20 is 20dB over S9. S9 is understood to be 50uV signal strength, so +10dB over would be about 150uV at your receiver, +20, +40, goes up. At S9+60 you are 60dB over 50uV, which is around 50mV.

The fluctuation is fading. Very typical for HF propagation, particularly with verticals and dipoles. Sometimes your path is strong and does not vary much, other times the path comes and goes in minutes. That happens a lot with 6m and 10m during solar cycle transitions, the band will open and close in minutes. The RS report I send on my QSL card is based on the initial contact.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler