Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Welding Classes?

So, the, "Club Workshop" mentioned in this thread:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ght=shop+class

offers welding classes on site. Anyone ever take any? Does anyone think this is the best way to learn how to weld, on the cheap & without a 6 month university type of class? Or, is it not worth it?

I've wanted to learn to weld for years, and I even have a little 110 gas shielded welder that I bought on the cheap, used years ago & have never turned on, becuase I don't know how to use it.

Anyone happen to have any insights or opinions?
Thanks,
abe
Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

I would like to get some pointers as well. Maybe we could organize something within the club? There are a lot of skilled welders in our midst. If some folks volunteered their gear and shop for a weekend, maybe we could host an informal "tech day" and learn something. I bet the club could even reimburse the host for their time, consumables and pizzas, etc. Just a thought.

'85 FJ60
Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

general air has 1/2 day classes they offer on all types and levels. I took a gas/arc class years ago so I suppose thats where I got the basics but the rest is simply turn on your welder and start sticking metal together

thats pretty much it, I can tell the difference between recent stuff on my truck on some of the first things
Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I would like to get some pointers as well. Maybe we could organize something within the club? There are a lot of skilled welders in our midst. If some folks volunteered their gear and shop for a weekend, maybe we could host an informal "tech day" and learn something. I bet the club could even reimburse the host for their time, consumables and pizzas, etc. Just a thought.
I would also attend something like this. I am itching, no make that burning, for a welder.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 11-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
general air has 1/2 day classes they offer on all types and levels. I took a gas/arc class years ago so I suppose thats where I got the basics but the rest is simply turn on your welder and start sticking metal together

thats pretty much it, I can tell the difference between recent stuff on my truck on some of the first things
Ditto. I spent $50 on one of the classes in Denver to try AL Mig before investing in a spool gun. Turns out it a hell of a lot easier and faster than TIG on aluminum so I decided it was worth the investment.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

emily griffith as well

john (johnny) henley
Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
Ditto. I spent $50 on one of the classes in Denver to try AL Mig before investing in a spool gun. Turns out it a hell of a lot easier and faster than TIG on aluminum so I decided it was worth the investment.
Their classes are designed more for trying out equipment not so much for learning to weld. Id like to try a spool gun for aluminum. What powers the spool gun?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art hog View Post
Their classes are designed more for trying out equipment not so much for learning to weld. Id like to try a spool gun for aluminum. What powers the spool gun?
No, not at all. The first couple of hours were classroom theory. The end of the class you go in back and pick the machines and the process you want to practice on. I got value out of both parts of the class.

The spool gun has a drive system that can be powered off of 115VAC, or a DC supply from the welder depending on which model spool gun you buy. The welding current of course comes from a CV welding supply.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

[quote=frontrange;196845]No, not at all. The first couple of hours were classroom theory. The end of the class you go in back and pick the machines and the process you want to practice on. I got value out of both parts of the class.

I have taken the classes there. It is in MY opinion, that they are not worth $50 unless you are trying out equipment. I have several hundred hour of weld schooling. it was not worth the time for me. For the purpose of this thread, if you just want to learn to weld on your truck, learn from a friend and practice. If you want to be a welder, go to the school that John listed. This is just MY opinion
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Since the original poster like most of the rest of us hasn't taken several hundred hours of weld schooling, a couple of hours of instruction by a professional before sticking things together is time and money well spent in my opinion.

If you've had hundreds of hours of professional instruction, what did you expect to get out of a 4 hour, $50 class?