Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

I took a continuing education class in SLC offered by the public school district. It was a night class at one of the high schools. Is there anything like that in Denver?

For $90 I got 8 weeks once a week to learn and practice with Stick/MIG/Oxy Acetylene.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
Since the original poster like most of the rest of us hasn't taken several hundred hours of weld schooling, a couple of hours of instruction by a professional before sticking things together is time and money well spent in my opinion.

If you've had hundreds of hours of professional instruction, what did you expect to get out of a 4 hour, $50 class?
I got the class for free with the purchase of my tig welder. I did not expect much from a 4 hour class. But, I feel that you can spend your money better. buy some welding wire and gas, if you use it and learn to use the welder you have and not on the cool stuff they have. I did take a plasma cutting class there, Again FREE with purchase of equipment. I had no knowledge of the process. In the end, I was glad the class was free.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by art hog View Post
I got the class for free with the purchase of my tig welder. I did not expect much from a 4 hour class. But, I feel that you can spend your money better. buy some welding wire and gas, if you use it and learn to use the welder you have and not on the cool stuff they have. I did take a plasma cutting class there, Again FREE with purchase of equipment. I had no knowledge of the process. In the end, I was glad the class was free.
yes but did you pick enough from the free class to go back and figure out the rest in your garage?

Thats my point. If you have no idea what to do, take a 4 hour class, it should arm you just enough to head home and start sticking metal together
Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I took a continuing education class in SLC offered by the public school district. It was a night class at one of the high schools. Is there anything like that in Denver?

For $90 I got 8 weeks once a week to learn and practice with Stick/MIG/Oxy Acetylene.
This is similar to what I took in San Diego, But it was 4 days a week 5 hours a day for an entire semester. It was free. You had to supply your books and safety equipment. Awesome class. It was sponsored by the nasco ship yards. I wish there was something like that here in colorado. I have herd there is a welding class at the junior collage in Gloden/lakewood. check out this link. I might be of help.
http://education-portal.com/welding_classes_denver.html
Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
yes but did you pick enough from the free class to go back and figure out the rest in your garage?

Thats my point. If you have no idea what to do, take a 4 hour class, it should arm you just enough to head home and start sticking metal together
Yes and no. I learned 2 things. a plasma cutter can kill you and on thin sheet metal you can put the torch right on the steel and cut. Most of what I learned was form reading on my own and asking questions.

Im not the one looking for the knowledge Im just expressing my thoughts and opinion on this thread. If you don't like what I say thats fine. Do what you want to do and have fun with it.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

not trying to start an argument, I'm simply saying that for the novice hobby welder who wants to stick some metal together but doesn't know where to start you can find someone to teach you or you can go take a half a day class. Yes I get it the reason is so you can try out equipment and maybe buy something but you can also get just enough basic info to gain just enough confidence to go back to your garage and stick some metal together. Its like anything else, you need seat time weather you're a pro or a hobbyist. Most people also need just enough info to confidently try it on their own any maybe just maybe 50 bucks and 4 hours on a Saturday would give them that

One might learn enough to decide to take a full semester class at a junior college, or maybe they don't want to.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
So, the, "Club Workshop" ... offers welding classes on site. Anyone ever take any?
I have taken that class along with my father-in-law about 2 years ago. I was a complete beginner and the class was very valuable. I recommend it.

You're not gonna come out of there a professional welder. If you have been welding already, don't come to this class (you already know all they are going to be covering).

For me, it gave me just enough to know how to prepare for the welding, how to setup the tools and equipment, how to be safe doing it, how to make adjustments using the controls - previously a complete mystery.

You'll have a chance to work with a nice quality welding machine, and good cutting/shaping tools along with it. You can ask questions and get immediate feedback as you run your practice beads - it's all good for those starting out. I gained enough confidence to pursue on my own - this year I bought both stick and MIG machines and have used them all summer long with decent results.

I'm not going to be a professional welder but I know how to stick two pieces of metal together and run a decent bead - that's all I need right now.

Go for it -
James
Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Also - go to your local used book store, and pick up aws certified textbooks, used, or vintage ones for cheap. A little goes a long way. Tig is the only technology that has changed much in the last 40 years, and that is mainly on the machine side. The techniques are the same.

john (johnny) henley