Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun > Cruise Moab Trail Leaders

Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default ingenious trail repairs you have seen/performed

Following up on the topic of how to handle breakdowns on the trail, I'd like to ask for the forum's input on some of the clever tricks used in the past to get everyone off the trail safely after a breakdown.

Example: Many years ago we had an 1976 FJ55 break down before the climb-out on Kane Creek. Turns out the aftermarket coil gave up. Towing the 55 up the steep ledges wasn't working so Cheeseman, Red Fox and I boogied to the end of the trail, Red Fox ran on into the Napa in Moab for a coil before they closed. I pulled the coil from my 1989 4runner in the parking area at the end of the trail and Cheeseman drove me and my coil back to the FJ55 while the other trucks worked up the steep section on the shelf road. We installed the 1989 4runner coil on the 1977 pig and drove it out. We caught up to the rest of the pack on the way out with the FJ55. By the time we got to the parking area, Red Fox was back in the parking area with the new coil from NAPA for the FJ55.

What's the point? swapping parts just long enough to clear the hard parts of the trail might be safer/faster than trying to strap, winch, and stack rocks so you can drag a dead truck out.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

A standard hitch pin can replace the control arm bolts for an 80.

Name:  DSCF5565.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  84.8 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 11-24-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Gorilla tape and clevis hooks, that is what got Steve Brady out of Cliff Hanger. I did not do the fix but Steve, Scott Yoder and ........my memory fails me most likely Randy. They fixed the broken tie rod by shoving the stud back in the hole and putting some shackles around it with tape to keep it in place. It worked all the way to get him on the top plateau so we could get him on a trailer and back home.

I am sure those guys will jump in to give better details but it shows what you can do with Duct tape and some shackles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Gorilla tape and clevis hooks, that is what got Steve Brady out of Cliff Hanger. I did not do the fix but Steve, Scott Yoder and ........my memory fails me most likely Randy. They fixed the broken tie rod by shoving the stud back in the hole and putting some shackles around it with tape to keep it in place. It worked all the way to get him on the top plateau so we could get him on a trailer and back home.

I am sure those guys will jump in to give better details but it shows what you can do with Duct tape and some shackles.
Randy, man of many talents, was not at work on this trail fix. Credit goes to the inginuity of Farnham and Corbet.

Broken piece of tie rod held together with a d-ring, clamp and Scott Yoders Gorrilla tape. Did not budge the whole way out.

97 LX450
Old 11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

My favorite trail repair has been replacing a lost tie rod nut with a flattened beer bottle cap with a hole in it and wire "borrowed" from a nearby fence!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

On the Rubicon trail I got a crack in my gas tank and was leaking gas at a fast rate. I took a bar of soap and worked it in the crack. It stopped the leak and I made it all the way back to San Diego. Drove it that way for months, until I had the time to drop the tank and fix it right. The rain would wash it out and I just add some more. always cary a bar of soap for a clean fix.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Randy, man of many talents, was not at work on this trail fix. Credit goes to the inginuity of Farnham and Corbet.

Broken piece of tie rod held together with a d-ring, clamp and Scott Yoders Gorrilla tape. Did not budge the whole way out.
No more memory left need another 8GB to function well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

when I broke my birf, TreerootCO had the idea to take the drive flange off and drive out with the broken birf. Saved us from doing the tear down on the trail and was able to do it back at camp
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Rising Sun Commander

One time my roast was still very rare, despite about a 5 hour night run, only measured 132°F by the in-cab thermometer. So had this idea to cut it up into slices, then put it on his grill for about 30 seconds per side.. Eureka!! the brisket sandwiches were saved, and everyone got off the trail happy.

now that was a trail fix!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Daryl surface and i sliced up.some coke cans and duct taped.them together when a kids carb caught fire and melted the carb spacer.

I used shreds of someones pringles can to shim my steering after wheeling Chinaman
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431

Last edited by nuclearlemon; 11-23-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: cause every picture tells a story don't it