Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Price check on this FJ40

Not sure if this should be in the For Sale section? If so feel free to move it mods.

I have a friend who is selling his FJ40. I have attached a ton of pics that tell the tale. Here is what I know:

Exterior: Pretty clean. Paint is in really good shape. It was Olive brown and has been changed to white. The emblems are all there and in good shape. Signals all work. Soft top is in good/fair condition, pass side window is torn. No hard top/doors. Rust has been restored on both fenders and a little rust is peaking its ugly head at the B pillar seam to the tub, NOTHING major. The tub is actually super clean, and the rear sill has been replaced.

Drivetrain: Strong 350 conversion, lots of Eldelbrock parts. 3 speed tranny, stock t case and axles with disk conversion. Slight shackle lift. Toyota selectable hubs. Pulls strong, stops straight, works as it should.

Interior: Complete, rust free. Tuffy console, factory heaters, seats are rough, rear jump seats are complete but have no upholstery on the bottoms, aftermarket cage, custom gauges for the motor. The tranny hump and shifters are in new spots after the conversion.

Overall it is a pretty clean cruiser. Its a daily driver and they have put a lot into the mechanicals to get it to where it is.

So... what's it worth? I haven't priced one out in a long time.

If you think this is for you... PM me and I will get you in touch with my friend, thanks again everyone!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Rising Sun member

Looks to be a '72 or '73? If he believes craigslist prices, he could start at 8K or 9K and see what happens.

Looks like an older 350 with maybe no provisions for a power steering pump? Looks like it currently has manual steering? Did the conversion use AA components? What does the wiring look like? Did he tie into the factory harness or does it have a different harness?

Depending on all of this, I would think it would lay in the 5K to 6K range...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was thinking 5-8K. I would start around 8 or 9K and see what interest there is at that price. It's not a bad looking truck (other than the bowtie emblem ;-)) and could clean up nicely.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Looks to be a '72 or '73? If he believes craigslist prices, he could start at 8K or 9K and see what happens.

Looks like an older 350 with maybe no provisions for a power steering pump? Looks like it currently has manual steering? Did the conversion use AA components? What does the wiring look like? Did he tie into the factory harness or does it have a different harness?

Depending on all of this, I would think it would lay in the 5K to 6K range...
I think you are really close Matt. Sure, you can start up around 8 to 9k, really depends on how much time you have to sell it. Realistically, I think 5 to 6k will be what it will sell for. Now is a tough time to sell a trail rig but if the new owner wants to wrench on it over the winter and start wheeling it in the spring ok. I am just guessing, but as Matt stated, it will probably need some work depending on the new owners likes and knowledge. Good luck!

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

5-6K is probably right if its a turn key driver IMO. Body looks pretty good but no hard top or doors. Other than the motor still pretty stock for someone to build the way they want and not have to fix a bunch of PO problems.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Let me know if they sell it at this price.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2714805260.html

Mine will go on the market too.

'85 FJ60
Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Let me know if they sell it at this price.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2714805260.html

Mine will go on the market too.
WOW Mine toooooo.

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 11-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Just a suggestion, the seller might want to put some search words in the listing like- FJ40 and landcruiser they will get more hits. I hope it sells at this price, increasing all of our market values. Good luck!!!

trail rig
Trinidad, CO