Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Wincher

Question trail run communication

Is simplex, station-to-station communication used on a trail run, or a repeater frequency? I'm just curious how people use the ham radio on the trail runs.
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

I tend to do both (I have an FT-8800r). Simplex with the group on the trail, and the other side monitoring a repeater in case someone loses us on simplex or there are stragglers coming later or something...

If I had a simpler radio, I'd be simplex on the trail.

Dan
Old 12-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

It's mostly simplex on the trail. I mainly use the repeaters to find people en-route to the trail.
TLCA#4180
Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've been able to hit others on Simplex 40-50 miles away sometimes on my simple 2M rig, which is usually sufficient on a trail run.

'85 FJ60
Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
I tend to do both ....

Same here. Or two simplex frequencies, when there's more than one group around, or there's a reason for separate communications. having two radios can be pretty sweet.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Wincher

Question weekly net

Thanks guys, I am new to ham radio and use an HT. I see that there are a lot of weekly nets on the air. Anyone know of a net that discusses 4X4 topics? Looking forward to learning more about ham radio.
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350jja View Post
Thanks guys, I am new to ham radio and use an HT. I see that there are a lot of weekly nets on the air. Anyone know of a net that discusses 4X4 topics? Looking forward to learning more about ham radio.
Start one! We used to do Monday nights at 9:00 on the 145.145.. I haven't checked that repeater lately to see if there's anyone else on at that time, but that would be an easy place to start. In the past we would typically start on the 145, then move to simplex to see who could still send/receive, then back to the repeaters, etc. It's a great way for new operators to get used to transmitting, repeater etiquette, and just yak about their rigs.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Lifted

Default station id

I know this has been touched on a bit but I was wondering what you guys do on trail runs for frequency of id, every 10 min? Does it depend on how remote you are, less chance of someone listening less often you id yourselves? On an all day run that's a lot. Looking for guidance as we are getting more operators and interest in our club.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

IMHO you should follow the rules for frequency of ID. It doesn't matter how remote you are.

on the other hand, IMHO on our trail runs station identification is often way over used.

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.
TLCA#4180
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Wes beat me to it.

This topic is covered in my classes. While I agree that most cases we tend to side on the shorter side of the 10 minute rule meaning we ID ourselves more frequently, better shorter than longer. I've taught over 60 people in my HAM classes, and I know every one of them got a few pointers on keeping within the scope of our privileges.

We also covered this in the HAM section about repeater etiquette and the like. It is required that the full call sign be given every 10 minutes, not an abbreviated form.

If you get into a habit of doing it, it isn't bothersome. Talking on a run isn't the best place to rag-chew while driving, and sometimes with a bigger group it can get downright confusing on who is talking. That is why we always push the "listen before you transmit, and only transmit what you need to say" guideline. If you're WØRDY like some folks can be (no offense), make sure you formulate your thoughts as best you can. Nothing is more embarrassing than hitting the time-out function of your radio or repeater because you were being chatty-cathy who needed to cut her string a little shorter.

Besides, this isn't about getting around "the rules". Its about absorbing the hobby and improving it, or at least not detracting from it.