Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I just wish on a trail run more people would incorporate it at the end of their transmission vs at a given point people just start saying "w0rek for id" for a couple minutes. If you haven't transmitted in the last 10 min then there is really no need to identify yourself. If you decide to transmit just give your call sign at the end. way more efficient.

It's probably just one of my few pet peeve's...
TLCA#4180
Old 12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

I like hearing call signs at the end of transmissions because it let's me know clearly who is talking.. That can be helpful even on a run where I know everybody. When people just shout out call signs all in a row it dosent really help me figure out who's talking really.
82 FJ40
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

I also agree that one should follow the rules no matter how remote... I think station ID is good in those situations specifically for the same reasons it is always good.
82 FJ40
Old 12-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

There's a long history with call signs, not just amateur radio, too. It's your unique identifier, no one else in the world has that call sign, so you should rightly be proud to use it. Some are very famous, MGY was the Titanic, DEKKA was Hindenburg, GBTT was the Queen Mary. In the case of the MGY, it had a wireless that was so new that its call was given by the Marconi company itself, for example. BTW, MPA was Carpathia, which had a very limited radio range so most of its traffic was handled third party through MEA (Franconia) to CPR (Princess Royal) to reach MSD (Camperdown shore station at Sable Island, Nova Scotia). MSD then relayed messages to New York and the White Star Line offices.

Even on VHF and UHF, you are transmitting a signal that has the potential to travel long distances and be heard by Goodness knows who and using call signs eliminates confusion. You don't need to know an easily misunderstood name or even care where the two stations are physically situated, all you need to know is a call sign and that you have a RF path.

The 10 minute rule is important, but no FCC monitor is going to time you with a watch. Be sure to ID when you sign off and periodically during use. They use 10 minutes because propagation can change quickly and if you don't ID enough your signal might fade in and out without anyone ever hearing your call sign. Sometimes 10 minutes is not enough (like 10m openings!), sometimes it's really redundant (like repeaters rag-chews). So it's a compromise for the rule book.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Another example that I just remember, KLZ right here in Denver. That has been in continuous use for a terrestrial station since I think about 1922 (it's Denver first commercial station), but previously assigned to a ship that sunk in 1920 called the HMS Speedwell. What's really interesting is that the name Speedwell was originally the name of the Mayflower's ill-fated sister ship as well (it began taking on water twice and turned back, never making it to the New World).

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Lifted

Thanks for the great discussion.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I like hearing call signs at the end of transmissions because it let's me know clearly who is talking.. That can be helpful even on a run where I know everybody. When people just shout out call signs all in a row it dosent really help me figure out who's talking really.
I agree, but also I kinda like it when everyone just says their calls in the morning, when we first get in the trucks. It's cool to me to hear how many other hams are in the group that day. Now later in the day, yes, way more appropriate to limit your ID to those times when you're actually transmitting.. and if you're silent for an hour yes you don't ID 6x just because you have the radio on. But I dunno, I guess I like the good morning radio check thing.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

I agree nak, and like Dave says, since it is your unique identifier it is basically like saying your name each time.... Heck it's even better... Nobody has the same one!
82 FJ40
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

I miss Red Chili, Goldilocks, Hulk, Uncle Ben, Nakman, Cheeseman, 3Dog and all those call signs. You know the good old CB days. Had more character than KD0GWJ, my call sign. And which I have and do use extensively while on the trail to much benefit I know. But it was much easier to remember who was who back then. Now I have to read a chart most of the time.

Now if only we could increase power and clarity of the ol' CB........Uncle Ben, Goldilocks????
Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well giving an ID every once in a while doesn't mean you can't still use first names and CB handles. Nothing wrong with shouting "dude don't back up anymore, you're about to go in a hole!" on the ham, you can make good with the FCC later, as you know. But for those other times, that's why we do the vanity calls, eh.

www.gamiviti.com