Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrod View Post
GM calls it the PCM, others call it the ECM.
Oh, ok.... these new acronyms they come up with...

Quote:
I know it sounds like a big challenge but doing custom hoses to adapt over to the gm compressor really isn't that big of a deal.
It's not the custom hoses that are concerning as much as the 'compensation needed at idle'... trying get that figured out I would think would be more challenging (unless the ECM senses it automatically and increases the idle speed).

The reason I ask all these stupid probing questions is that I'm probably going to do a swap on my FZJ80 one day (though not anytime soon) - I'm thinking '93 GM 6.2L diesel. Just trying to work out some of the things on my own, and it seems you're bravely dealing with these very same issues that have been occupying my own mind, so I hope you don't mind me bantering about it here on your thread.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Oh, ok.... these new acronyms they come up with...

It's not the custom hoses that are concerning as much as the 'compensation needed at idle'... trying get that figured out I would think would be more challenging (unless the ECM senses it automatically and increases the idle speed).

The reason I ask all these stupid probing questions is that I'm probably going to do a swap on my FZJ80 one day (though not anytime soon) - I'm thinking '93 GM 6.2L diesel. Just trying to work out some of the things on my own, and it seems you're bravely dealing with these very same issues that have been occupying my own mind, so I hope you don't mind me bantering about it here on your thread.
The pcm does the compensating by itself automatically. It senses the drag (by 'seeing' that the idle speed is slowing) and opens the throttle a little more to offset the drag. It's fast so I doubt someone would even notice it happening.

I would imagine the 6.2l diesel works much the same way since it is computer controlled.

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Lifted

Quote:
I would imagine the 6.2l diesel works much the same way since it is computer controlled.
Actually the 6.5L is computer controlled (ECM... oh, excuse me - PCM... ) - I'm contemplating the more reliable 6.2L with a Turbo addition. Time will tell - still early in my planning.

I'll be watching your progress closely and cheering you on. Best of luck -
Old 12-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Wincher

How about you get all that done and then sell it to me cool project, that engine is really going to wake up that 80.

Do you know if you can keep all the ABS braking function without the stock Toyota ECM?

I've got a Vortec 4.3 in my SAS 4runner, and lost the ABS controls when the stoc ECM went. It only had rear ABS anyways, but it gets old in the ice and snow not having good braking, especially when your family is involved.

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KFWD
Old 12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by black95 View Post
How about you get all that done and then sell it to me cool project, that engine is really going to wake up that 80.

Do you know if you can keep all the ABS braking function without the stock Toyota ECM?

I've got a Vortec 4.3 in my SAS 4runner, and lost the ABS controls when the stoc ECM went. It only had rear ABS anyways, but it gets old in the ice and snow not having good braking, especially when your family is involved.
good question - the EWS doesn't show that the ABS computer is tied to the engine computer in any way. As long as it has power, it should work normally.