Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Wincher

Question battery type

Looking for some advice regarding battery types.

I have a Yaesu HT (VX-6R/E). Is it OK to use aftermarket Li batteries, rather than buying the 'Yaesu branded' battery. I've seen the batteries go for $30 to $105, for the same type of battery. Do you think some brands will last longer than others?

I want to get an extra battery, so I can swap it in the radio when one is discharged and not have to wait 5 hours for it to charge up again.

Thanks for your time,
Jim
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Trail Ready

My Yaesu HT needed a new battery and I bought one from Batteries America. They advertise in the QST magazine. Their ad in the magazine shows your HT rig and the battery required. Contact info is: www.batteriesamerica.com or 800-308-4805 or email ehyost@chorus.net.

I was pleased with their service, delivery, price, and knowledge of the products they sell.

Hope this helps.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Trail Ready

I think you have to have your battery installed in the HT before you put the entire assembly into the charger. If you contact Batteries America (or whomever you contact) ask for the price on a quick charger for your battery. The factory charger that came with your HT is a slow charger. We've found that the quick charger will charge a battery in a few minutes up to an hour, depending on how low it is. I think we got our Yaesu quick charger from HRO. Yaesu calls it "Rapid Desktop Charger".

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've only used factory batteries (FNB-80LI is $63 at http://www.hamcity.com). I have heard Batteries America stuff is fine. I've always just used the Yaesu NC-72B to charge our HTs and my FT-817 in the radio, but that drop-in CD-15 desk charger would be really nice. This will work with the battery alone or mounted to the radio.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Trail Ready

Batteries America shows the battery for the VX-6R as part number FNB-80Li, it's a 7.4V, 1600mAh battery at $44.95. They also show a charger, part number NC-72BA at $17.95 but they don't show it as a charger or a quick charger. Best to have the sales person match their part number for the item you want. Returning incorrect stuff sucks.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
Batteries America shows the battery for the VX-6R as part number FNB-80Li, it's a 7.4V, 1600mAh battery at $44.95. They also show a charger, part number NC-72BA at $17.95 but they don't show it as a charger or a quick charger. Best to have the sales person match their part number for the item you want. Returning incorrect stuff sucks.
The FNB-80LI is the right battery for the VX-6 and VX-7 (and maybe VX-5). Yaesu's is 1500mA-hr, so the Batteries America one is a bit better. The NC-72BA is a stock equivalent AFAIK, just the wall wart.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Wincher

Thanks for all the good info. I will check out those web sites. I was just curious to see if anyone had good luck using an aftermarket battery, as opposed to the Yaesu branded battery. Wasn't sure if the OEM battery would last any longer than the non-OEM. I would like to keep a spare back-up battery, ready to go.
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”