Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Breckenridge CCR Repeater Down?

I was listening to the CCR last night on the way to the meeting and pretty sure I heard a guy state that the repeater (antenna I presume) in Breckenridge was blown down by high wind. Based on what this guy said, the connection therefore is down from the eastern slope to the western slope.

Anyone else hear similar? I don't use the CCR much to communicate across the state other that when travelling to Moab

I did a cursory Google search and didn't see any mention of this, not even on the CCR site

http://www.colcon.org/
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

That is the rumor, although I have not heard that from John or Paul directly. The Springs-Denver link is still working and it seems the Akron repeater was still working. I assume that means the west-east link is broken, Breck is the pivot.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the website, it still has photos of the old Breck site, which was changed a couple of years ago now. They had to pull down that old metal building last summer.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Subject: COLORADO CONNECTION BULLETIN
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:24:13 -0700

***** BULLETIN *****

01/03/12

There was a bad wind storm in Summit County this past weekend
and as a result of winds gusting to as high as 120+ MPH in the
Breckenridge area, our building that houses the 146.79 repeater
and the links to all Western Slope repeaters was blown off of
it's foundation. The building was blown over on it's side and
all of the equipment inside was damaged.

We will have a more accurate survey of the damage as soon as
we can get up to the site and sort things out.

Please keep in mind that the western slope from The Continental
Divide west and the Front Range are no longer connected until
repairs are made.

Watch for updates.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow...thanks for the info

Sounds like it could be awhile before things are restored to normal...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well that explains it.. I drove across the state on Monday, and couldn't hear a peep from Grand Junction, Glenwood, Vail, or Breck.. I was thinking it must be my radio or antenna or maybe my coax broke, I couldn't get any of those repeaters to respond. I do have a history of screwing up the ENC/ENC DEC/ DCS tone setting, but I later figured I should at least hear a repeater ID and I heard none of that..

I know on my radio the 145.310 works well as I often speak on that one on the front range. And sure enough, outside the tunnel once I hit Loveland I heard the repeater ID, and was even able to call and have it ID back. So yeah, should have mentioned it earlier but for me the whole connection was down on Monday. I double-checked the offset and tone in my repeater book, and tried every option of the ENC/DEC stuff, and got nothing.

edit: You know they do a nightly net on the .310 at 7:30, if you're near a radio might be a good one to listen to, I suspect there may be an update. Usually Anthony in Castle Rock hosts it, KD0MSP

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

John, W0IG, showed me the photos of the damage. The building was blown over on its side and moved (slid downhill mostly) about 15 feet from it's location. The tower was mounted to the side of the building and that held fast, but went over with the building and was broken. The batteries seemed to have survived and did not leak being sealed gel, but the two racks inside were tossed about like marbles in a can. The VHF repeater and the UHF link radio are ruined.

At best the building's side is crumpled but the structure itself is OK. Worst case is the building is racked and unusable. This is a real radio building, monster wood skids, solid sides, lifting eyes. It had been up there for decades, the CCR is the 3rd owner of it.

The radios and controllers are lost. Really won't know the full extent until next spring and for the foreseeable future the link is dead. They are looking at a way to relink Mt. Thorodin to Eagle, which is the western hub via IRLP, but they need bandwidth and a UHF radio. Breckenridge will be off the air for a long time even if they do get the system relinked. Breck served as the UHF link, but Eagle is the actual link hub to GJ, Leadville, etc. So if they can find an IRLP link at least the state-wide system would be salvaged.

The storm took out a bunch of broadcast repeater head-ends, too. So the whole Breck valley's over-the-air TV and some radio is off the air, at least the Front Range station translators.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM

I've hiked by the building in the past when hiking Baldy. The picture is from the public radio website.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

ouch.. looks like it need some guy wires on it.. even for the building. Those winds were rough.. there are a lot of trees down over by WP i noticed while skiing. just pushed right over...
TLCA#4180