Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

^I'm fine with that. So many people are ignorant to these details on their cars and I don't like the jiffy lubers taking advantage of people. People can still make their own decision, but nothing wrong with getting the correct information propagated.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Changing your oil every 3,000 makes mother earth and baby jesus cry.

I change the oil in my KTM (1L) every 10 hours. I'm going to hell.

Cool report Jeff, thanks for sharing. I'm gonna start sending in the KTM oil in the summer. Be nice to know if I can run longer between intervals.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Wincher

Great find on that article, I'm going to post that on the CLC forum.

I remember when that whole "3000 miles or every three months" thing was cooked up as oil change shacks started popping up all over the U.S.. I think that was a marketing ploy for them, sad what it has done for the environment. I follow my vehicle's manual, typically 7,500 mile intervals. With all the vehicles I have around here, I'd kill myself trying to keep up with all of them at 3,000 mile oil changes.

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KØFWD
Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I remember reading that article when it came out, but as you can see from my sig line, my newest cruiser is my 1987. I have an F engine getting hot tanked and machined as I type this, but still wonder if my oil change schedule by following my decades-old factory manuals is too aggressive?

I guess it costs a lot more than $22 to buy the 8 quarts plus (OEM) filter to change the oil in one of my F or 2F engines, so what the heck, I should probably get mine tested. My FJ60 is within 100 miles of it's normal change interval, was gonna do that this weekend. How many ml or oz. do they need for a sample?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think the bottle they supply is around 4 ounces.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I don't use Synthetic engine oil and I do and will continue to change oil and filter every 3-4k! If you do a lot of highway miles and chock up a lot of miles rapidly then you can go longer. If you short trip a lot, drive in dusty environments and or do not let you engine warm up before driving then short interval changes are your engines best friend! Flame on....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Wincher

FWIW, I run M1EP for ~12k between changes both in the 80 and the 100, change both vehicles every February and sample each change w/ Blackstone.

Anecdote: I've had my 80 a long time. After I drained the oil from the 80, I would put the used oil into my beater commuter car, a 1996 Ford Probe. Started doing this in 1999 when the Probe was 3yo. Sold the Probe last year (2011) at ~260k miles and drove like the day we bought it. 37mpg as long as you didn't turn on the AC, what was I thinking?

In total, every quart of the EP probably got 20k miles use.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I don't use Synthetic engine oil and I do and will continue to change oil and filter every 3-4k! If you do a lot of highway miles and chock up a lot of miles rapidly then you can go longer. If you short trip a lot, drive in dusty environments and or do not let you engine warm up before driving then short interval changes are your engines best friend! Flame on....
Oh dear... I am in agreement with UB...

Except I run synthetic and run longer intervals... but yeah, city driving with rapid heat/cool cycles and little time to boil off contaminants is hell for engines.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
If I don't change the oil in my KTM (1L) every 10 hours. I'm going to repair shop hell.
Fixed it for ya...
That darn motor has GOT to be the most hellish on oil that is out there... rapid temp cycles, little capacity, meager filtration, synthetic REQUIRED just to meet service limits... it would be really interesting to see a Blackstone report on it. I would bet, after 10 hours, it would have lots of viscosity breakdown and metal contaminants.
Hey this is cool, I get entertainment at the expense of Farnham's $22.
Works for me...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

And here we are talking about 5-6K mile intervals

Quote:
We’re anonymous here, so we’ll call the characters in this true story “Dad” and “Sonny.” Dad doesn’t believe in oil changes, so Sonny “borrowed” the truck one day and got us a sample. Sonny told his dad the truck was leaking oil in his driveway while he was unloading stuff from Home Depot (it wasn’t), so while he had it he “fixed” the leak and changed the oil.

Dad grumbled and said he should have left it alone, but agreed it was time. This is factory oil in Dad’s 1997 Nissan pickup truck with 122,635 miles on it. And you know, for an oil that’s been in place as long as this one has, the oil doesn’t look half bad.

It was thick, like a 15W/40. Fuel was present, though without trends we don’t know if that’s a temporary thing or if it’s always present. Bearing wear (copper, lead, and tin) is heavy, as is upper-end wear (aluminum and iron), but the rings (chrome) are wearing well. Sonny says the engine starts easier now and it isn’t as labored as it was when it runs. We’re not sure if these results are a testament to Nissan’s engineering or Dad’s good driving, but either way, next time you get worried that it’s been six months since you changed your oil, you can remember Sonny and Dad and breathe a little easier!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...m_medium=email
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater