Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Right, but he said he installed a new pump and the problem did not go away. So he either has a blockage in the steering gear or in one of the hoses.

It doesn't seem likely that it is a wrong type of fluid issue. I assume it was working OK for an extended period of time with that same fluid in it, then all of a sudden he started spewing fluid all over?

If it is air in the fluid then something must be causing the pump to cavitate and foam it up.
He also stated his steering was working. No workie if no fluid movement!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was thinking air, I had that problem in my Dodge and 4Runner. At speed the steering on both trucks was fine but on the Dodge during slow maneuvers the steering was heavy and choppy. The 4Runner was OK at slow speeds since it is a 5 speed and I would just add a little throttle.

I flushed the Dodge and have not had a problem since and my problem came out of no where too. I also checked all the hoses and tightened all the clamps so no air could enter. The 4Runner got new lines since I went hydro assist and that took for ever to bleed all the air out.

Check all your hoses/clamps even if it is the pump won't hurt.

PS do you have an in-line cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Thanks all! The steering behaves just fine at both speed and rest. I do not have a cooler in line. No noticeable leaks, and I went through and made sure all the lines were tight when I replaced the pump. This started last Thursday, with no changes prior to that. I've been driving this in this configuration for almost a year now.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

i would guess gear box.

Get a second person to help.
*Have the truck running and full of fluid (at proper level).
*With the cap off the reservoir, turn the wheel all the way to the locks. don't keep it at lock, but bump it on and off, it doesn't matter which lock, but test both. see if the fluid level over flows.
*If it does over flow, it is a issue with the gear.
The fluid will raise and drop a bit when bumping, but should not over flow.
you should also see the fluid flowing inside the reservoir with the car running turning or not turning.
Also your system is very easy to bleed the air out of.

if it does over flow then take the pressure hose off both the gear and pump and blow the hose out with air. just to make sure its not a clog. good to check the return line also. (both bairlly ever get coged, but i've seen stupid'r)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Dextron ATF used to be the norm for PS. Now that Dextron is in it's third revision (Dextron III) it is no longer suggested for power steering fluid. Use specific power steering fluid
OK, now I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to use ATF in old Toyotas, as it says on the pump top, and that PS fluid might actually degrade the system and make it fail. Help, clarity needed!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Thanks all! The steering behaves just fine at both speed and rest. I do not have a cooler in line. No noticeable leaks, and I went through and made sure all the lines were tight when I replaced the pump. This started last Thursday, with no changes prior to that. I've been driving this in this configuration for almost a year now.
I agree with Tim. I would drain the system thoroughly and replace with the right fluid. Go through the steps Tim outlined for checking the hoses for clogs and getting the air out of the system. If it still pukes out of the pump then it's probably a steering gear issue.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
OK, now I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to use ATF in old Toyotas, as it says on the pump top, and that PS fluid might actually degrade the system and make it fail. Help, clarity needed!
your susposed to use powersteering fluid.. it has always been that way.. BUT ATF is a sutable replacement.. just dont mix if possible, i personally use ATF unless its a honda.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Many so-called 'Power Steering Fluids' that I see at chain stores seem to contain 'seal conditioners' and other junk in them, so I have avoided them in general. My '95 FZJ has been plagued by power steering noise and problems for years, in spite of a Toyota reman pump. I am intrigued by the ISO-32 oil idea, and my try using AW-32 hydraulic tractor fluid (which I'm pretty sure is the same thing). I have read on other forums that Dex III is not a suitable replacement for Dex II in all cases. Most hydraulic fluids are ~10 weight oil, and the differences between them are in additives. My last Dex III swap in my FZJ seemed to make it worse than before, so I'm going to try some different fluids.

Last edited by SteveH; 01-18-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling correction