Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun > Cruise Moab Trail Leaders

Old 10-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Rock Stacker

I typically end up gunning weither it was where I started the trail or not I usually always end up in the back. As a gunner one of the most frustrating things that comes up is the group funneling the lesser equipped vehicles to the rear and then driving away leaving them (and the gunner) to fend for themselves (hasn't happened at CM, but it does happen). Pairing experienced drivers with non experienced has already been mentioned, but we also need to take into consideration vehicle capability when lining the group up (especially on the harder trails). Putting two open/open rigs in line together may not be the best idea. Also, if the group consists of rigs that run from built to stock its best to keep the stock ones near the front. Yes, throughout the the day the line up will get shuffled, just try to empasize on keeping the group somewhat organized.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Good points, Mike. Thanks for taking the time to share 'em with everyone.

Scott Yoder and I have tried various lineups during snow runs (A case where almost everyone needs help at some point in the day!) and biggest truck to littlest truck with a strong anchor truck at the end of the lineup works best because each smaller truck shaves down the center berm of snow a little more for the smaller truck behind 'em.

Moab is a little different. There is very little strapping and frankly, I've only had to use a winch in emergency and recovery situations so far in Moab. I think we're onto something here about the importance of driver experience/skill in the lineup. Putting an experienced driver in front of an inexperienced driver to demonstrate line selection can not only keep the trail moving at a good pace, but also help teach line selection and techniques to less experienced drivers. I love it when I get to the end of a trail and I can see first hand that a driver has greatly improved during a single good day on the trail.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
taking a moment at the beginning of the run to arrange the order might be good.
I've done this the past two years on Porcupine. Access the drivers skills during the pre-run meeting and arrange the trucks my model placing an in-experienced driver behind or in-between experienced drivers. On porcupine this seems to work pretty well as its drawn a good mix of drivers new and seasoned.

The other great advantage here is that you have a spotter near you familiar with the same vehicle. Personally I don't care to spot 40's any more if I don't have to. Its been way too long since I've wheeled mine and its a completely different animal than an 80.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
priority ... keeping the guy behind you in sight. ... The guy behind you is the one you need to keep track of!
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
More than once, the problem has been one guy in the group who simply refuses to drive faster -- he takes every rut as if he's dropping off a 3-foot ledge. How do you guys deal with that?
As noted, behind a normal speed driver with the same rig.