Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default HELP E-bay auction

OK I need some help from someone who has sold vehicles on e-bay before. I just got a call from a man in Los Angeles who wants to buy my Cruiser. He offered me less than what I was asking and said he would wire me the money, I told him that I would not sell the FJ outside of E-bay and the only way he could buy it now is with the buy it now option on the listing. He said that he would go ahead and use the buy it now on the listing. My question is what do I need to be careful of when it comes to accepting payment and shipping the car which he is paying for.. He said he is going to ship it back to Japan..
Thanks for the help!!

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Lifted

I've read horror stories about shipping things overseas. If he's got that kinda cash he would be able to jump on a plane and come see it and take care of the shipping himself. IMO
KD0WJN
Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

If he sends the exact amount of the purchase plus the shipping and no more, that's a good sign. If you use a legit wire service like Western Union or Moneygram, that's a good sign. As long as you can verify that you have actually received the monery before leting go of the Cruiser, you should be OK. I would steer clear of accepting a cashiers check as payment. Another option you could look into is to use an escrow service - a legit one. This option tends to protect the buyer more than the seller but they can verify that the funds are actually available before you ship the truck. BTW Western Union doesn't do escrow.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!! I will let you know how this goes..

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM

I've sold a few through ebay. Just dont let the car go anywhere until you have all the funds cleared. If he buys it through ebay using paypal you should be good.

Shipping is no big deal, they usually show up to you and load the car.

1996 FZJ80
Old 01-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would accept a deposit via Paypal and have the buyer bring a certified check at pickup if he comes himself and would call the bank issuing the check to check for validity. If he just wants to you to ship back to him, I would require full payment including shipping, and only ship after payments have cleared. I have done may Ebay transaction with cars, boats, motorhomes, etc and it can be painless as long as you do your due diligence.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Using Buy-it-now & Paypal, Paypal will hold the funds until they clear, and then you ship. Usually takes about a week. Like everyone else has said, don't ship it until the funds are cleared and in your account. Also, if they are not willing to come out to see it in person and sign a bill of sale and the title, I would certainly get Something in writing & signed by the buyer before you ship it that will cover yourself.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks everyone!!! Well, he did use the Buy It Now option on the listing and sent the deposit through Paypal. He seems to be legitimate, turns out that he is a dealer in CA and the purchase will go through his dealership. His feedback is GREAT and he has communicated very well, I think he has done this many times.. I will be going to my bank on Monday and set up all the funds transfer process as I am sure he will be setting up the shipping.. It will be interesting to see how this all goes being im an e-bay seller virgin . I will be sure to let you all know how it goes as well..

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

i too have sold cars though and bought cars through ebay. just remember that when you use ebay and paypal there are fee's when you sell.
and the more the car, the more expensive the fee. (bracket style) just remember to add those prices onto your buy it now price.

im sure that there fees and what not;s have changed