Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default SAS on a 1995 4runner

Any advice on a SAS conversion on a 1995 4runner? Which front axle will be the best, most reliable, to swap into this rig? I will be looking at a coil suspension I think that would be the easiest with the ifs?? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated..

Thanks!!

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

No, leaf springs are the easiest.

You can put coils on, but you'll need to get the link numbers dialed in. I've got a bunch of my old files I can go over with you. The fronts are hard. Getting the geometry wrong makes for a nightmare on the road. You gotta get the roll axis negative to keep things from being squirley.

Axles are tough. The easiest is the mini axle with the leaf springs. One tons are strongest. It's really a matter of preference.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
No, leaf springs are the easiest.

You can put coils on, but you'll need to get the link numbers dialed in. I've got a bunch of my old files I can go over with you. The fronts are hard. Getting the geometry wrong makes for a nightmare on the road. You gotta get the roll axis negative to keep things from being squirley.

Axles are tough. The easiest is the mini axle with the leaf springs. One tons are strongest. It's really a matter of preference.
Isaac, thanks for the info!! So, with your experience, would you go with mini truck and leafs? I want to build this to be more of an expedition vehicle not a crawler, I am thinking 35's. This is based on doing an OM617 MBZ diesel conversion.. I would love the opportunity to get together and discuss different options..
Thanks again

trail rig
Trinidad, CO

Last edited by PhatFJ; 01-21-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

contact scotty from addictid offroad i belive thats his online name also. he did the sas to a 2000 somthing 4runner.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

True, but that was a 20,000 dollar sas. Talking with Scott, he mentioned he'd never do a swap like that again.

To be honest, I'd look at either doing leaves, or swapping an 80 series front suspension. That is my plan on my 99.

I'd be happy to sit down with you and go over what I know. I've been researching, an working on, this stuff for several years now. I would be happy to show you the issues with swapping on the older trucks.

Generation Dead
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Wincher

I have a '95 4runner with a SAS and an '85 mini truck axle running 37's. I used the All Pro 4" kit and did my swap back in 2004. One piece of input I would like to put in is that the springs All Pro, Marlin, and Trail gear are not even close to heavy enough for the second gen 4runner. Especially if you have an engine swap or a winch bumper. I have a chevy 4.3 with a winch bumper on my rig and the body roll is ridiculous. When you hit the brakes, all hell breaks loose... you better have both hands on the wheel. These rigs NEED a sway bar, I have been looking at ways to add one, but that damn steering box is just right smack dab in the way.

I have a swing away tire carrier on the back with Marlin 5" leaves. It sagged BAD with camping gear/ family loaded up. Had to finally install "add a leaves" to get that back to normal, and I still think they're not heavy enough.

Had my rig weighed not too long ago and it was 5,200 pounds. Weight balance was 51% front, 49% rear.

I've been driving this thing around for a long time hoping an elk or a Subaru never runs out in front of me, I'm looking at getting some custom springs now. Trail gear makes a "heavy" version, but I've heard bad things about their springs, and Scotty at Addicted says they don't make much difference anyhow.

I still think leaves are the way to go, mostly based on how difficult it is to get the geometry right, as AxleIke said. Get it wrong, and you'll have a rig you can never drive safely. If I was to go with a coil type front, I would be looking at a radius style setup. Much easier to get things right then.

As for the axle, I used to break a LOT of birfields, switched to marfields and installed knuckle ball reinforcing tabs, then started breaking hub studs. Installed chromoly hub studs and chromoly knuckle studs and now absolutely no problems out of my front axle. full chromoly shafts would be even better. The mini truck axles can handle a lot of abuse, but you have to upgrade just about everything to chromoly... That said, I'm very unforgiving with my rig.

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KFWD
Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, if it were me, I'd wouldn't run any kit springs. They do bring the truck up pretty high, and, as luke pointed out, are generally designed for a late 80's pick up, ie, a light rig.

I would combine two rear packs for the front, and try to keep it at about 3" of lift, and either run Old man emu springs in the rear, or something from Alcan.

For an expo rig, keep it as low as you can. That will help with body roll, and also with being able to reach stuff in the rig. If it is expo, you will be wanting to get in and out a bunch.

OTOH, for an expo rig, a SAS may be pretty overkill. Just a thought.

Generation Dead
Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Yeah, if it were me, I'd wouldn't run any kit springs. They do bring the truck up pretty high, and, as luke pointed out, are generally designed for a late 80's pick up, ie, a light rig.

I would combine two rear packs for the front, and try to keep it at about 3" of lift, and either run Old man emu springs in the rear, or something from Alcan.

For an expo rig, keep it as low as you can. That will help with body roll, and also with being able to reach stuff in the rig. If it is expo, you will be wanting to get in and out a bunch.

OTOH, for an expo rig, a SAS may be pretty overkill. Just a thought.
Thanks Isaac, yes, after reading more I tend to agree on the leafs rather than coil over.. Also, I will let you know on the ARB, I was running 4.88's on my fjCruiser with 35's and I really liked it..

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Luke, thanks for all the great information!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black95 View Post
I have a '95 4runner with a SAS and an '85 mini truck axle running 37's. I used the All Pro 4" kit and did my swap back in 2004. One piece of input I would like to put in is that the springs All Pro, Marlin, and Trail gear are not even close to heavy enough for the second gen 4runner. Especially if you have an engine swap or a winch bumper. I have a chevy 4.3 with a winch bumper on my rig and the body roll is ridiculous. When you hit the brakes, all hell breaks loose... you better have both hands on the wheel. These rigs NEED a sway bar, I have been looking at ways to add one, but that damn steering box is just right smack dab in the way.

I have a swing away tire carrier on the back with Marlin 5" leaves. It sagged BAD with camping gear/ family loaded up. Had to finally install "add a leaves" to get that back to normal, and I still think they're not heavy enough.

Had my rig weighed not too long ago and it was 5,200 pounds. Weight balance was 51% front, 49% rear.

I've been driving this thing around for a long time hoping an elk or a Subaru never runs out in front of me, I'm looking at getting some custom springs now. Trail gear makes a "heavy" version, but I've heard bad things about their springs, and Scotty at Addicted says they don't make much difference anyhow.

I still think leaves are the way to go, mostly based on how difficult it is to get the geometry right, as AxleIke said. Get it wrong, and you'll have a rig you can never drive safely. If I was to go with a coil type front, I would be looking at a radius style setup. Much easier to get things right then.

As for the axle, I used to break a LOT of birfields, switched to marfields and installed knuckle ball reinforcing tabs, then started breaking hub studs. Installed chromoly hub studs and chromoly knuckle studs and now absolutely no problems out of my front axle. full chromoly shafts would be even better. The mini truck axles can handle a lot of abuse, but you have to upgrade just about everything to chromoly... That said, I'm very unforgiving with my rig.

trail rig
Trinidad, CO