Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Photography Corner

Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Hmmm. Only 6.3 megapixel? I kind of agree with Wes now.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

I picked up a Digital Rebel exactly like that one for $100 a couple of years ago. The megapixels are misleading, as the pixel density is pretty darn good (it looks far better than some of the newer, high MP units). I'm not much of a photographer, but we have really enjoyed the camera. You can probably do better on the price, despite the nice lens.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

yeah sure mp is only one thing it's really more of the sensor etc. the sensor on that was the same as the 10D way back when but the software limits it.

when you can get this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-10.2...0-Kit/12169833
and this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-12.2...7B017/17254377

spending that kinda coin on that old one to me doesn't make sense esp when the canon above has video. I suppose if your budget is your budget you have to get what works for you.

flame suit on
TLCA#4180
Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
yeah sure mp is only one thing it's really more of the sensor etc. the sensor on that was the same as the 10D way back when but the software limits it.

when you can get this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-10.2...0-Kit/12169833
and this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-12.2...7B017/17254377

spending that kinda coin on that old one to me doesn't make sense esp when the canon above has video. I suppose if your budget is your budget you have to get what works for you.

flame suit on
Thanks Wes, I am in no hurry, so I think I'll pass... the world of photography is overwhelming. I bet I know what a newbie feels like when they start shopping for a 40 for the first time with no background.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would pass on it for now. The batteries may not hold as long of charge anymore as when new. The lens is OK but heavy, you can get a better lens form Sigma For the money you would spend for that lens. The cases can be had for less than he wants on eBay. Also the camera is to old, you can go to Costco or Sam's and buy an new camera that is ten times better.

Now I still shoot with my Canon 20D and feel it is fine for what I do. I would like to upgrade to get a camera with 1080P movie capability but don't want to spend the money now. You need to write down what you want the camera to do and then see what system fits your budget. Then I would buy the unit that is one step up from there.

And as for what brand to buy...........look for the best deal in either and go from there. they are both great brands and do basicly the same thing. The picture quality is 80%lens and 20% camera and so is the cost nearly in the consumer level to prosumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've been really happy with my Sony Alpha. It does most everything I need it to, and didn't break the bank. My kit was around 2k new and I got it used for<500 four years ago. I don't think anyone here gives a shiznit about Sony though. You prolly can't go wrong w/Wes' suggestions. You may be happier with a decent point and shoot for that money though. If I were getting into it today I'd be looking for a deal on a D7000. That's an entry level DSLR. You'd be happy with that for a long time. I'll be getting out of entry level limitations as soon as Nikon makes up it's mind on the replacement for the D700. Keeping the Alpha too.

Last edited by Jenny Cruiser; 01-24-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Cruiser View Post
I've been really happy with my Sony Alpha. It does most everything I need it to, and didn't break the bank. My kit was around 2k new and I got it used for<500 four years ago. I don't think anyone here gives a shiznit about Sony though. You prolly can't go wrong w/Wes' suggestions. You may be happier with a decent point and shoot for that money though. If I were getting into it today I'd be looking for a deal on a D7000. That's an entry level DSLR. You'd be happy with that for a long time. I'll be getting out of entry level limitations as soon as Nikon makes up it's mind on the replacement for the D700. Keeping the Alpha too.
Sony has some cool tech they put in their cameras. The Alpha's semi-transparent mirror that allows the use of phase detection focusing, but lets the light still hit the sensor without the mirror moving, is REALLY trick. It lets them squeeze crazy frame rates out of the camera that you don't get until you're in a >$4k Canon or Nikon. Best of both DSLR and mirrorless.

2004 UZJ100 - stockish for the time being.
Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sold - 2010 Tacoma, lifted, locked, armored
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tripple your price point @ $850 and I have no idea if it is a good deal or not but the email I got said it is 55% off

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i Camera w 18-55mm, 55-250mm IS Lenses, Flash, 16GB, Case
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Here is another one I got via email today...Another claimed 50%+ off

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T2i 18MP CMOS Digital SLR w/ 18-55 IS Lens and 75-300 II

$630 shipped
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Two things well maybe three. Glass is everything, spend your money on great glass. Whatever you do get an aftermarket book on the camera body. A person really needs to decide how deep into the camera operation they want to go. That truly depends on your photographic knowledge you currently have and then how much you want to learn. And lastly remember the multiplication factor for the lens. Most entry level camera bodies have a 1.4 to 1.5 factor because of the size of the sensor that the picture is recorded from. A 100 mm lens now becomes 150 mm. So when you get into the 300mm lens, very few people can effectively hold it steady when it now becomes 450mm cuz of the factor.