Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETSROLL View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for all the good information. As I was in Florida and had no tools (and very little skill to use them) I sort of monitored/ignored the problem. It seemed to be experiencing the problem off and on and so I figured it was ok to drive home to Colorado.

Earlier tonight I was in Amarillo, TX and started a run up 287 towards Raton Pass when my oil pressure gauge dropped to 0. I popped the hood and saw a fair amount of oil on the shield under the front of the motor. It burns/leaks some oil so that's not that unusual. The oil level was about normal and the truck ran ok all the way back to Amarillo (50 miles back) with the oil pressure never coming up off o but no change to the water temp and no check engine light (other than the P0401 I always get)
Now I don't know if I need to find a Texas mechanic, or assume I just have a bad sensor and get back on the road.

Thoughts?
OK, so the truck started this am ok and pressure on gauge is nominal. So, it seems the truck wanted to stay in Amarillo last night. Probably have a bad Oil sending unit, but that should be a problem for us to get home.
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I not sure where the sending is on the 1FZ but you might try to measure the output with an ohm meter. Then if the gauge goes to zero again, you might be able to establish that there is a wiring or meter issue if the sending unit still has the same output.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Hi All,
Ok, so I made it back to Denver on Friday January 6th. The following Monday I put my truck in the shop. I just got it back last night.

Here's what they did:

Install New Oil Sending Unit
Install new Air intake hose
Serviced Oil Pan gasket (fix small leak)
Installed a resistor to eliminate the P0401 code from popping
Install New Plugs, Cap, Rotor, plug wires & fuel filter
Installed a used rear door latch mechanism (it had stopped working a while back)
New headlight bulb,
Silicone filled the hole in the lens cover causing the bulb to fail
Oil Change (oil & filter)
plus serviced the brakes to get rid of a squeek.

Total cost $551.62

For me I think this bill would have been $1000+ so I'm happy. The downside was they kept the truck for 3 weeks (they're a small shop in Longmont).

I ok'd the resistor before they did it. Has anyone in the club ever heard of/done this before?

Thanks for all your help.
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition